Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Simon Bridges
Anyone have ideas about the real reasons for his retirement?
I wondered about health issues, or maybe like Coleman he got a better offer...
maybe because he significantly represents the 'old way', parties seem to like to have a cleanout leading up to elections...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Could be health, could be that the joy is gone, could be that working under Team Luxon is difficult, etc..

Last thing National needed was losing a Māori (diversity in short supply these days), so they'll need to make sure they don't run with some white dude for the by-election.
(15-03-2022, 12:21 PM)yousnoozeyoulose Wrote: Could be health, could be that the joy is gone, could be that working under Team Luxon is difficult, etc..

Last thing National needed was losing a Māori (diversity in short supply these days), so they'll need to make sure they don't run with some white dude for the by-election.
I think they will go with whomever is the best suited and qualified for the position.  Skin color, sex, sexual preference or religion shouldn't even be factors.
Could be just be the 'old ways' - quite often new leaders like to use their new brooms - or he might genuinely have had enough.

Or some underhanded skullduggery is afoot; you never know with politics.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Not living up to Luxons expectations.
Sick of the job.
Sick of all the travel.
Crusher Collins raised her eyebrows at him.
Has got a better offer from outside.
Maybe he does want to spend more time with family.
Catching Covid might have scared him.

There could be a whole host of reasons but we will all be guessing, but not to worry the media will find out and let us know.  Yawn
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
(15-03-2022, 01:36 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: I think they will go with whomever is the best suited and qualified for the position.  Skin color, sex, sexual preference or religion shouldn't even be factors.

But they will be, and that is a fact. Tongue
(15-03-2022, 01:36 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(15-03-2022, 12:21 PM)yousnoozeyoulose Wrote: Could be health, could be that the joy is gone, could be that working under Team Luxon is difficult, etc..

I think they will go with whomever is the best suited and qualified for the position.  Skin color, sex, sexual preference or religion shouldn't even be factors.
Judging by their performance in selections over the past few years, you're overly hopeful.
I do have other cameras!
(15-03-2022, 01:36 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:

I would never have thought you that much of an optimist... Big Grin
bye si
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
(15-03-2022, 03:04 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(15-03-2022, 01:36 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: I think they will go with whomever is the best suited and qualified for the position.  Skin color, sex, sexual preference or religion shouldn't even be factors.
I would never have thought you that much of an optimist... Big Grin
Of course - but I think any time people are hired to fill a quota then that is wrong.
(15-03-2022, 04:21 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(15-03-2022, 03:04 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I would never have thought you that much of an optimist... Big Grin
Of course - but I think any time people are hired to fill a quota then that is wrong.
and you would think correct i reckon
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
Whatever his reasons (I believe him when he says he is just looking for a change), he's had a pretty long innings in Parliament and he's achieved a lot for someone his age. I haven't been his biggest fan (had policy advisor friends who, when he was first starting out, were extremely critical of his competency) but he's had his fair share of knocks and detractors. I know that comes with the job so for now, at least, I hope he gets a decent wave of relief on exiting politics and can focus on enjoying his personal life a bit more.
Another view of Simon Bridges.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/18-03-...eans-to-me

"My reaction? Don’t let the Beehive doors hit you on the way out.

Simon Bridges’ departure from politics, to me, is the exit of the most prominent politician to consistently vote against the rights of queer people in my adult lifetime. He might have equivocated about his vote against marriage equality in Express magazine years later, saying that he “got it wrong” and “New Zealand has moved on”, but the ink on his vote against the conversion therapy bill is barely dry. The bill, which has now thankfully passed, bans practices that aim to change a person’s sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.

What I can speak to are these facts: Simon Bridges voted consistently against the rights of queer people. When presented with the option to make things equitable for queer people in our society, he chose not to."
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I believe he was prominent in a faction in the National Party known as "The Taliban" for their fundamentalist views.
(20-03-2022, 02:12 PM)Olive Wrote: I believe he was prominent in a faction in the National Party known as "The Taliban" for their fundamentalist views.
I hadn't heard that, but it isn't surprising really. I think those with extreme religious beliefs should perhaps be prevented from entering politics; when you look at places like the USA, it makes for some bizarre ideas & sometimes also bizarre laws.
(18-03-2022, 02:29 PM)reigns Wrote: Whatever his reasons (I believe him when he says he is just looking for a change), he's had a pretty long innings in Parliament and he's achieved a lot for someone his age. I haven't been his biggest fan (had policy advisor friends who, when he was first starting out, were extremely critical of his competency) but he's had his fair share of knocks and detractors. I know that comes with the job so for now, at least, I hope he gets a decent wave of relief on exiting politics and can focus on enjoying his personal life a bit more.

Wonder if he was more suited to just being a local constituent MP. There's nothing wrong with just focusing on your electorate, and it's way more useful than spending large parts of your day bossing about West Coast list MPs.

On a national level, he was pretty ineffectual. Probably operated best when he was angry, but whenever he did, he came across as a petulant toddler throwing his toys out of the playpen. Optically, it's not what people were looking for in a leader.
That's right. Remember when he was asked about one of the PM's successes and he said "Well, at least I don't dye my hair". Petulant is the word.
That describes it perfectly - really quite childish.