Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I have a (possibly silly) question please.
Hi all. When I want to reply to somebody's post, do I press "Reply" or "Quote"? When I pressed reply, it seemed as though it might be sent as a PM to the individual member. When I pressed quote, nothing really happened. (Or so it appeared to me).  So how do you just quote and reply to another poster the same way we did on Trademe? 

Sorry I know this sounds like a dumb question, but it's all a learning experience.
Always blow on the pie. 
(17-02-2020, 11:53 PM)captain fantastic Wrote: Hi all. When I want to reply to somebody's post, do I press "Reply" or "Quote"? When I pressed reply, it seemed as though it might be sent as a PM to the individual member. When I pressed quote, nothing really happened. (Or so it appeared to me).  So how do you just quote and reply to another poster the same way we did on Trademe? 

Sorry I know this sounds like a dumb question, but it's all a learning experience.

If you click quote in this case your post appears in my post as a quote so it can be related to what I post.

If you click reply you only show what you chose to post. (Clear as mud)?
(17-02-2020, 11:53 PM)captain fantastic Wrote: Hi all. When I want to reply to somebody's post, do I press "Reply" or "Quote"? When I pressed reply, it seemed as though it might be sent as a PM to the individual member. When I pressed quote, nothing really happened. (Or so it appeared to me).  So how do you just quote and reply to another poster the same way we did on Trademe? 

No, good question!

When you hit reply, it's not a PM, simply a reply to the thread you're in.

When you click quote, you then have to click reply, and it will take you to the reply page Smile
Smile 
I use the New Reply as it gives me the extra icon's and other options in what I would like to add and which you see at the top of the message box your putting your reply in 

as you can see I could change the size for my message Smile

Crab2
I would imagine one might ‘click’ quote if one were replying to a member who had replied to the original poster? So as to clarify, you are no answering the original poster and so as people can see what you are replying to rather than look back?
When you click on quote, it simply adds it to a list of quotes, then you should see the following at the bottom of the reply box:

"You have selected one or more posts to quote. Quote these posts now or deselect them. "

Clicking the words "Quote these posts now" should add them to the text box and you can enter your reply below, or as s.monkey said, when you click new reply, it will add those quotes automatically.
Thank you kind people! You have all answered my query in such a way as to give me a complete understanding of how this all works now, without belittling me, which is a nice refreshing change of pace. Chokkie fish for each of you! ??
Always blow on the pie. 
(18-02-2020, 07:33 PM)captain fantastic Wrote: Thank you kind people! You have all answered my query in such a way as to give me a complete understanding of how this all works now, without belittling me, which is a nice refreshing change of pace. Chokkie fish for each of you! ??

Thank you so much YUM lol 
Crab2
I'm confused re the "reply / quote" process also, plus there is messaging via email.  This will certainly be a learning process and I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing the same.  I'm not that "techno", however, this looks like a well set up site for us to transfer over to.
(21-02-2020, 08:35 PM)Marree Wrote: I'm confused re the "reply / quote" process also, plus there is messaging via email.  This will certainly be a learning process and I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing the same.  I'm not that "techno", however, this looks like a well set up site for us to transfer over to.
Yes it is a learning experience for sure. I have joined both new sites,  and unlike a lot of others,  I'm not interested in getting involved in an argument over whether one is better than the other. They both have good and bad points,  some will prefer this forum,  others will be better suited to NZ Issues. Thus far I'm happy to get a feel for both. I will say that NZ Issues is the easier of the two when it comes to navigation,  and the quote process is simpler. Also it is much more mobile friendly. However I'm sure given time,  this one will improve on those things. On a positive,  this place feels a lot more familiar and in many ways more friendly. A few have already been ripping into each other over there. I guess it'll take time to once again weed out the bad apples.

Woohoo I did the quote thing right! Can I get a prize? ???
Always blow on the pie. 
(22-02-2020, 04:25 PM)captain fantastic Wrote:
(21-02-2020, 08:35 PM)Marree Wrote: I'm confused re the "reply / quote" process also, plus there is messaging via email.  This will certainly be a learning process and I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing the same.  I'm not that "techno", however, this looks like a well set up site for us to transfer over to.
Yes it is a learning experience for sure. I have joined both new sites,  and unlike a lot of others,  I'm not interested in getting involved in an argument over whether one is better than the other. They both have good and bad points,  some will prefer this forum,  others will be better suited to NZ Issues. Thus far I'm happy to get a feel for both. I will say that NZ Issues is the easier of the two when it comes to navigation,  and the quote process is simpler. Also it is much more mobile friendly. However I'm sure given time,  this one will improve on those things. On a positive,  this place feels a lot more familiar and in many ways more friendly. A few have already been ripping into each other over there. I guess it'll take time to once again weed out the bad apples.

Woohoo I did the quote thing right!  Can I get a prize?  ???
Glad you are happy here, and no harm in joining both.
I think leaving politics to another forum is a good thing anyway, and its not like I dont enjoy talking about it either, but things do turn ugly at times!

Rest assured, I want to make improvements, but have to fit things in between jobs, and ive finally got an HTTPS version working and will do the rollover this weekend.
Woohooo, you go girl.

A chocolate fish is on it's way to you.

Now, did I do it right...hmmmmm

(22-02-2020, 04:46 PM)Admin Wrote:

I think leaving politics to another forum is a good thing anyway, and its not like I dont enjoy talking about it either, but things do turn ugly at times!

Rest assured, I want to make improvements, but have to fit things in between jobs, and ive finally got an HTTPS version working and will do the rollover this weekend.

I think I'm a bit confused. If you want to respond to a poster, do you click "reply" or "quote" ???
Have a look here Lindy.

http://tmmb.co.nz/showthread.php?tid=88

Yes I firmly believe a forum option sans politics is a very good decision. Nothing like a bit of leftie/ rightie fist punching to get the whole place riled up. I don't really have much to do with it. Prefer motoring and general topics.
Always blow on the pie. 
(22-02-2020, 05:22 PM)captain fantastic Wrote: Have a look here Lindy.

Yes I firmly believe a forum option sans politics is a very good decision. Nothing like a bit of leftie/ rightie fist punching to get the whole place riled up. I don't really have much to do with it. Prefer motoring and general topics.
Well thats great to hear. I know there are some disappointed not to have it, but I think its better to focus on quality discussion about things people want to talk about, as you say with things like motoring, or hunting and fishing and hobbies etc.
(22-02-2020, 05:31 PM)Admin Wrote:
(22-02-2020, 05:22 PM)captain fantastic Wrote: Have a look here Lindy.

Well thats great to hear. I know there are some disappointed not to have it, but I think its better to focus on quality discussion about things people want to talk about, as you say with things like motoring, or hunting and fishing and hobbies etc.
I think as time goes on and both forums become established, I can see myself spending the majority of time here, as the topics will likely be of more interest. Hopefully most of the TM motoring guys will head over this way in time. Be a crying shame to lose all that knowledge.
Always blow on the pie. 
Confused I pressed 'Quote' on the first message in thread but nothing seems to happen!
I'll try 'Reply' next.
I'm afraid it's not very clear to me, though I have just joined.

(17-02-2020, 11:53 PM)captain fantastic Wrote: Hi all. When I want to reply to somebody's post, do I press "Reply" or "Quote"? When I pressed reply, it seemed as though it might be sent as a PM to the individual member. When I pressed quote, nothing really happened. (Or so it appeared to me).  So how do you just quote and reply to another poster the same way we did on Trademe? 

(18-02-2020, 06:56 AM)Cleggyboy Wrote:

If you click quote in this case your post appears in my post as a quote so it can be related to what I post.

If you click reply you only show what you chose to post. (Clear as mud)?
Here's what happened when I pressed 'Reply' on the first message!
Even though I'm a 'junior member' (thanks a lot), I think I may be too old for this forum.
Sorry, but wish you all the luck with it.
Blush
(24-02-2020, 05:58 PM)Outsider Wrote: Even though I'm a 'junior member' (thanks a lot), I think I may be too old for this forum.
Blush
Press quote and then click the "new reply" button at the bottom. Thats what ive just done and i see your quote above Smile ^^^
Or just click "reply" on the message you want to quote, easy as that.

You only need to click "quote" if you want to quote multiple messages at once.
(24-02-2020, 07:33 PM)Admin Wrote:
(24-02-2020, 05:58 PM)Outsider Wrote: Even though I'm a 'junior member' (thanks a lot), I think I may be too old for this forum.
Blush
Press quote and then click the "new reply" button at the bottom. Thats what ive just done and i see your quote above Smile ^^^
Testing.... testing....

Yep that works admin!
Always blow on the pie.