Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eff'nhell, National...
Very interesting opinion piece here, and the last line says it all for me...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/opinion/12953316...he-ingroup
When survival in the school's society means to either be bullied or join the bullies, should we allow the choices made then to define who a person is now? In the university environment the party animals (and I mean "animal") follow the leaders or be ostracised. If they later realise the error of their ways and repent, should their behaviour be held against them forever? (I got badly drunk once at 16. And pretty much never drank again. Am I a drinker or a teetotaller?)

The biggest bullies at the moment are the media. Usually the other pollies are the next biggest bullies but in this case even they are keeping quiet. I wonder how many of them are now keeping their heads down. Overall, National needs to get its selection processes sorted and the people of Tauranga need to re-think who they wish to vote for next year. But from past history they aren't too worried about moral issues - a bit of student bullying is nothing compared to what some people have voted for in the past. In spite of Luxon's "stand-down" of Uffindell, all he can ultimately do is kick him out of the party. Uffindell is now an elected MP whether he stays in the party or not.
Does this mean another by-election if he is forced to resign? lol
(11-08-2022, 09:19 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Very interesting opinion piece here, and the last line says it all for me...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/opinion/12953316...he-ingroup

"Uffindell had the opportunity to quietly enrol at St Paul's Collegiate School. The headmaster at King’s never made a referral to police. Youth justice were never involved. Oranga Tamariki never made inquiries into the nature of Uffindell’s family life, scrutinising his parents for any evidence of a violent lifestyle. And yet if he were Māori, attending a decile one school in a poor suburb, community leaders like the school headmaster, police, and government officials would read gang-bashing a sleeping third former rather differently. They would read it, in short, as criminal.

What, then, explains the difference between his treatment and the treatment of the mostly Māori men and women who are imprisoned for the same violence or less? Ethnicity, obviously. In 2020 JustSpeak found that police were almost twice as likely to charge a Māori offender as they were a Pākehā offender apprehended for the same crime.

Perhaps we should treat all violence with that degree of leniency. Circumstances matter. Of course, this isn’t to minimise Uffindell’s violence with an appeal to mitigating factors. Instead, it’s to point out that leniency is often granted only to people who are the right colour and with sufficient means. But if leniency is to exist it should apply as widely and as fairly as possible."

Some very interesting points in that. I think there are two things we should consider; one being that humans are very capable of change, even violent bullies, & that we now know that sending teenagers to prison virtually guarantees they'll carry on with a life of crime, while if they're given another penalty that becomes far less likely.

And its high time we recognised & changed, the differences in the way rich & poor, Maori & Pakeha are treated by our systems. Now would be a very good time to do that, with this as an excellent example.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
https://www.newsroom.co.nz/an-ode-for-th...1660423327
(14-08-2022, 09:42 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: https://www.newsroom.co.nz/an-ode-for-th...1660423327

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Rolleyes
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(14-08-2022, 09:42 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: https://www.newsroom.co.nz/an-ode-for-th...1660423327
 The writter forgot that the key point of satire and humour is actually to be funny.
(17-08-2022, 10:05 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
 The writter forgot that the key point of satire and humour is actually to be funny.
Too close to the bone for a nat supporter, eh?
I do have other cameras!
Labour, National and the Maori party all need to go.
(17-08-2022, 12:02 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Labour, National and the Maori party all need to go.
come on now, back to reality...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(17-08-2022, 12:02 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Labour, National and the Maori party all need to go.
If any party needs to go, its ACT followed by New Conservatives, Outdoors & Freedom party, (has there ever been a sillier name!) Vision party, The Opportunities party, ONE party & any other religious nutterdom party which happen to pop up.
(17-08-2022, 10:05 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: The writter forgot that the key point of satire and humour is actually to be funny.

It's a common misconception that satire needs to be funny. Right-wing satire being a prime example...
Sometimes satire is so close to actual events the two are hard to tell apart. As in the USA's current ongoing docodrama...

In such cases, really, the only rational response is to laugh. Or cry.
(17-08-2022, 06:51 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Sometimes satire is so close to actual events the two are hard to tell apart. As in the USA's current ongoing docodrama...

In such cases, really, the only rational response is to laugh. Or cry.
And both at the same time is also possible... Big Grin Big Grin Rolleyes
(17-08-2022, 03:00 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
If any party needs to go, its ACT followed by New Conservatives, Outdoors & Freedom party, (has there ever been a sillier name!) Vision party, The Opportunities party, ONE party & any other religious nutterdom party which happen to pop up.
ACT is the best choice on whats on the table currently in govt.
I am watching the Democracy NZ party however, it is run by Matt King who was from National, I really like what he has to say.
ACT is bunch of loonies...based on a whackjob economic theory, and jumping on every rightwing talking point, in the hope of getting votes from the hard of thinking.
I do have other cameras!
(18-08-2022, 11:43 AM)Praktica Wrote: ACT is bunch of loonies...based on a whackjob economic theory, and jumping on every rightwing talking point, in the hope of getting votes from the hard of thinking.

I think its for those greedy sods still harbouring a belief that Neo Liberalism is just wonderful. Confused
If you don't mind ripping off everyone else in order to live the life of Riley.
(18-08-2022, 11:43 AM)Praktica Wrote: ACT is bunch of loonies...based on a whackjob economic theory, and jumping on every rightwing talking point, in the hope of getting votes from the hard of thinking.
ACT is still too far left if anything, but they are the best option we have got so far, and their support has grown, so that says alot.
(18-08-2022, 01:32 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
ACT is still too far left if anything, but they are the best option we have got so far, and their support has grown, so that says alot.
God knows where you are standing...slightly to the right of Ghengis Khan and Hitler, perchance?
I do have other cameras!
(18-08-2022, 01:32 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:

Well yeah, but then they're only just to the left of Vlad the impaler... Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin