Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NZ First
Needs to get back into govt, ive just listened to his recent speech and I agree with everything he says, especially when it comes to co-governance.
This country has become more divided than ever and we are facing a wave of reverse racism.
I hope winston has a good chance of getting re-elected back into govt or else the only other option is to go for ACT.
The state of this country is the worst its ever been, we need change desperately, another 3 years with labour running the show would be depressing.
(17-10-2022, 11:28 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Needs to get back into govt, ive just listened to his recent speech and I agree with everything he says, especially when it comes to co-governance.
This country has become more divided than ever and we are facing a wave of reverse racism.
I hope winston has a good chance of getting re-elected back into govt or else the only other option is to go for ACT.
The state of this country is the worst its ever been, we need change desperately, another 3 years with labour running the show would be depressing.

I like the Stuff cartoon of him this morning...
Winnie has found his audience!!! Ex fundy conspiracy theorists!
I do have other cameras!
(17-10-2022, 11:28 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Needs to get back into govt, ive just listened to his recent speech and I agree with everything he says, especially when it comes to co-governance.

Blaming everything that is wrong with the country solely on the present labour government is a mistake imho.  A lot of NZs present woes have been in the making for decades, or a result of global economic influences...  But I don't think it will be a cake walk for labour this time around...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Let alone the ingratitude quotient. Many of us are alive and enjoying life thanks to this government, might pay to factor that into voting choices.

Friend of mine said if she won Lotto she'd leave NZ... Where would you go that is better? I asked, to which question she had no reply. Some people really need a good slapping...

And no, I didn't vote Labour.
If winnie gets in you know what that means? It will be a Labour/NZ First Government, Im sure it will be interesting it will either be them or National/Act. Exiting times ahead.
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
ah winnie, he makes elections colourful
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
And blocks a lot of very progressive legislation...

I thought "Yay! Winnie's back". He's getting a bit long in the tooth now, but might be exactly what we need. At least he will try to balance the slippery slope we're on with regards to increasing racism all the time and he always brings a level of common sense to the table, even if he can't be trusted to follow through. It could backfire though if a new lease of life from NZ First just takes voters from National and Act.

(18-10-2022, 07:54 AM)king1 Wrote:

Blaming everything that is wrong with the country solely on the present labour government is a mistake imho.  A lot of NZs present woes have been in the making for decades, or a result of global economic influences...  But I don't think it will be a cake walk for labour this time around...

We have a cycle where every time Labour is in power everything gets stuffed up, then when National comes back they have to make unpopular decisions and just start to make headway when they get voted out again. At present most of what is seriously wrong is down to Labour's current or past influence. They did a good job at the beginning of the pandemic but that has fallen by the way, and pretty much everything else related to governance is a total mess.
Indeed: 'the talking dead' is apt. Every time an election looms when a left govt is in, we can count on two things happening; Winston pressing the race button again & the right trumpeting loudly about how they're going to 'get tough' - usually on crime but often also on beneficiaries.

Incidentally, I've just been over to look at IDF50, a UK site (mostly right-ish) with a few posters from USA & Canada & no one seems at all keen on the new PM, Liz Truss. In fact with her & Putin its all a bit doom & gloom.

What's needed is the removal of Neo Liberalism here & everywhere else; the damage it has done is enormous & will likely need decades to fix what its destroyed over the past 30 odd years.
I think either National or Labour would make a huge mistake to have Winston as part of their govt but they may not have that choice
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Why would anyone think he wasn't racist? Because he's brown but doesn't acknowledge the fact?
Winston is old school Maori - he was behind the Whina Cooper Land March. He stands by the Treaty, but hates the new interpretation for ''Modern Times.'' He destroyed his career fighting tax evasion (the Winebox saga) and yet he blocked the CGT. You just have to love him and hate him at the same time.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(18-10-2022, 01:07 PM)SueDonim Wrote: We have a cycle where every time Labour is in power everything gets stuffed up, then when National comes back they have to make unpopular decisions and just start to make headway when they get voted out again. At present most of what is seriously wrong is down to Labour's current or past influence. They did a good job at the beginning of the pandemic but that has fallen by the way, and pretty much everything else related to governance is a total mess.

Most people put it the other way round...national, for instance, stuffed up health, education, and the police in their last term through deliberate underfunding, so they could give their mates tax cuts.
I do have other cameras!
(18-10-2022, 05:04 PM)Praktica Wrote:
(18-10-2022, 01:07 PM)SueDonim Wrote: We have a cycle where every time Labour is in power everything gets stuffed up, then when National comes back they have to make unpopular decisions and just start to make headway when they get voted out again. At present most of what is seriously wrong is down to Labour's current or past influence. They did a good job at the beginning of the pandemic but that has fallen by the way, and pretty much everything else related to governance is a total mess.

Most people put it the other way round...national, for instance, stuffed up health, education, and the police in their last term through deliberate underfunding, so they could give their mates tax cuts.

Apparently the Nats are also to blame for the many potholes in various parts of the country, having cut funding for roading repairs according to the news tonight.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
And Bridge's bridges - I bet they still aren't fixed.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(18-10-2022, 06:14 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(18-10-2022, 05:04 PM)Praktica Wrote: Most people put it the other way round...national, for instance, stuffed up health, education, and the police in their last term through deliberate underfunding, so they could give their mates tax cuts.

Apparently the Nats are also to blame for the many potholes in various parts of the country, having cut funding for roading repairs according to the news tonight.

They did up the weight limits for the trucking industry, beyond which NZ roads were designed to withstand...
(18-10-2022, 07:03 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(18-10-2022, 06:14 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Apparently the Nats are also to blame for the many potholes in various parts of the country, having cut funding for roading repairs according to the news tonight.

They did up the weight limits for the trucking industry, beyond which NZ roads were designed to withstand...
Having travelled from Taranaki to AKL return last week I had to endure a number of single lane sections of road in the hilly areas around Awakino and Mahoenui where subsidence far below the road level had resulted in the road formation slipping away. My thoughts were of the possibility of the seismic shock waves from 50T HVs destabilising the geological formations in these cases.

During a delivery to our depot a couple of weeks ago the long haul truck driver commented on such road failures in his travels. The cost of repairing a road failing due to subsidence of a slope 40 or 50m below the road level is very difficult and therefore hugely expensive. Totally different scale to putting gravel and new seal over a pothole.
(19-10-2022, 12:52 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(18-10-2022, 07:03 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: They did up the weight limits for the trucking industry, beyond which NZ roads were designed to withstand...
Having travelled from Taranaki to AKL return last week I had to endure a number of single lane sections of road in the hilly areas around Awakino and Mahoenui where subsidence far below the road level had resulted in the road formation slipping away. My thoughts were of the possibility of the seismic shock waves from 50T HVs destabilising the geological formations in these cases.

During a delivery to our depot a couple of weeks ago the long haul truck driver commented on such road failures in his travels. The cost of repairing a road failing due to subsidence of a slope 40 or 50m below the road level is very difficult and therefore hugely expensive. Totally different scale to putting gravel and new seal over a pothole.

Isn't it odd, that most govts simply can't - or perhaps won't - see that that old saying 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure' makes good sense. 

And that could be applied to many areas rather than just roading - our health system, for starters.
(19-10-2022, 01:50 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(19-10-2022, 12:52 PM)harm_less Wrote: Having travelled from Taranaki to AKL return last week I had to endure a number of single lane sections of road in the hilly areas around Awakino and Mahoenui where subsidence far below the road level had resulted in the road formation slipping away. My thoughts were of the possibility of the seismic shock waves from 50T HVs destabilising the geological formations in these cases.

Isn't it odd, that most govts simply can't - or perhaps won't - see that that old saying 'an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure' makes good sense. 

And that could be applied to many areas rather than just roading - our health system, for starters.
Our stay in Auckland was largely with my sister who is a senior nurse. Suffice to say she had plenty to say about the current state of the health system Angry
(19-10-2022, 12:52 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(18-10-2022, 07:03 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: They did up the weight limits for the trucking industry, beyond which NZ roads were designed to withstand...

I suspect the Nats knew this would be an issue but caved into lobby group pressure, and fell back on the 'local government responsibility' to avoid taking cost into account. District councils are now wearing it...