Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
That other new messageboard
Smile I think I'm an unsuspecting normal!! 
I just really want a place to communicate with other people, see people's different views on some things, get the odd recipe, talk about books etc...
This message board seems to be good.
The NZ Issues one is good too, although there are some rather intense viewpoints in there around homosexuality etc...
Both these new sites have their good and bad points, but I must admit to developing a few concerns about the direction the other site may be taking. It would appear he has inherited quite a number of ex TM and MB2 posters who have.... shall we say questionable morality and a definite lack of respect for others. I've just been reading a thread over there and have come away shaking my head. If that's the sort of appalling bickering, gutter talk, and purile berating of one another that is going to become the norm, then I can't see it ending up a happy place to while away any free time.

Leaving politics and religion out of the equation might be the best thing you could have done.
Always blow on the pie. 
That is why I bailed. That and a couple of other short bully boy things that happened. It isn't long, in a community, before people reveal their true selves. And I am past putting up with that kind of crap. With luck the management here have a better grip.
(20-02-2020, 04:08 PM)captain fantastic Wrote: Both these new sites have their good and bad points, but I must admit to developing a few concerns about the direction the other site may be taking. It would appear he has inherited quite a number of ex TM and MB2 posters who have.... shall we say questionable morality and a definite lack of respect for others. I've just been reading a thread over there and have come away shaking my head. If that's the sort of appalling bickering, gutter talk, and purile berating of one another that is going to become the norm, then I can't see it ending up a happy place to while away any free time.

Leaving politics and religion out of the equation might be the best thing you could have done.
The good thing with that site is that it has an "ignore" feature. So you can just put the horrid posters in a place where you dont get to read their nonsense.

The other thing is the Admin seem reasonably tolerant - but will ban a posters if he/she steps over a line.

As always, its our own individual responsibility to choose what threads we enter and which post we choose to read and ultimately what content we choose to be offended by
(20-02-2020, 04:55 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: That is why I bailed. That and a couple of other short bully boy things that happened. It isn't long, in a community, before people reveal their true selves. And I am past putting up with that kind of crap. With luck the management here have a better grip.
You're still the member with the most posts, after admin.
(20-02-2020, 05:02 PM)Gammy Wrote: As always, its our own individual responsibility to choose what threads we enter and which post we choose to read and ultimately what content we choose to be offended by

I totally agree. This is a great point.

This is the internet. I like to think of it like a bar at 3am in the morning. Everyone is drunk, has no filter, and says whatever they want. At the end of the day it's just words on a screen, we choose to be offended by them. I tend to think the people that make the most noise about being offended just like the attention.
(20-02-2020, 05:24 PM)s.monkey Wrote:
(20-02-2020, 05:02 PM)Gammy Wrote: As always, its our own individual responsibility to choose what threads we enter and which post we choose to read and ultimately what content we choose to be offended by

This is the internet. I like to think of it like a bar at 3am in the morning. Everyone is drunk, has no filter, and says whatever they want. At the end of the day it's just words on a screen, we choose to be offended by them. I tend to think the people that make the most noise about being offended just like the attention.

Your last point cannot be denied. The internet is swarming with attention seeking troll lunatics. 
Always blow on the pie. 
(20-02-2020, 05:10 PM)Praktica Wrote:
(20-02-2020, 04:55 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: That is why I bailed. That and a couple of other short bully boy things that happened. It isn't long, in a community, before people reveal their true selves. And I am past putting up with that kind of crap. With luck the management here have a better grip.
You're still the member with the most posts, after admin.
Well, I am a gasbag. But I am sure plenty will pass me in due course. And I will try not to be so loud here. But no promises, lol.
(20-02-2020, 05:24 PM)s.monkey Wrote:

Couldn't agree more.. Smile
(20-02-2020, 04:08 PM)captain fantastic Wrote: Leaving politics and religion out of the equation might be the best thing you could have done.
Abso-friggin-lutely
I saw the link on TM and went for a look before coming here. Couple of nasty posters being allowed free reign, ugly.
It's supposed to be fun, who needs all that negativity.? Had a wee look around here and a much nicer atmosphere.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
Thumbs Up 
(22-02-2020, 07:51 AM)Magoo Wrote: I saw the link on TM and went for a look before coming here. Couple of nasty posters being allowed free reign, ugly.
It's supposed to be fun, who needs all that negativity.? Had a wee look around here and a much nicer atmosphere.

Yes definitely a much nicer and friendlier atmosphere
Crab2
(22-02-2020, 07:51 AM)Magoo Wrote: I saw the link on TM and went for a look before coming here. Couple of nasty posters being allowed free reign, ugly.
The "ignore" button is a fabulous feature - means you dont have to read stuff from individuals who obviously enter a thread for the sole purpose of stirring up hate fuelled trouble.

Unfortunately I think that is the nature of anonymous forums - the wierdos think they have the right to post all sorts of abusive stuff. Its only a matter of time before some of them migrate here - so be ready for them.

As for threads or posts we get offended by - well thats our own personal problem because it relates to our threshold for taking offence. Some people dont have a very high threshold, so sometimes no matter what a person posts another is going to be offended by it. So it pays to just take a breath before getting all high and mighty about something.

It would be a pretty bland world if were were all to have passionless safe conversations with each other
(22-02-2020, 09:36 AM)Gammy Wrote:
The "ignore" button is a fabulous feature - means you dont have to read stuff from individuals who obviously enter a thread for the sole purpose of stirring up hate fuelled trouble.

Unfortunately I think that is the nature of anonymous forums - the wierdos think they have the right to post all sorts of abusive stuff. Its only a matter of time before some of them migrate here - so be ready for them.

As for threads or posts we get offended by - well thats our own personal problem because it relates to our threshold for taking offence. Some people dont have a very high threshold, so sometimes no matter what a person posts another is going to be offended by it. So it pays to just take a breath before getting all high and mighty about something.

It would be a pretty bland world if were were all to have passionless safe conversations with each other

You seemed to be quite offended by things yourself and didn't mind being abusive too???
(16-02-2020, 11:01 PM)EX09ER Wrote: Two more have left.

make that 3  Sad Sad Sad
OMG!  I'm getting so confused!  I don't know who is up who and who's not paying anymore. 
All these people hopping from 1 board to the other.
Blush
(22-02-2020, 10:15 AM)Bob Wrote:
(22-02-2020, 09:36 AM)Gammy Wrote:

You seemed to be quite offended by things yourself and didn't mind being abusive too???
You must have me confused  for someone else. I am never, ever offended. And I am not abusive.