Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modem or wifi booster
So we moved house. triple the size house almost.  currently have a fritzbox modem   the wifi cannot reach from one end to other end of the house. lounge is ok, bedrooms are ok,  kitchen and dinning room no go Rolleyes

Would it be better to buy / update modem or buy a wifi booster thingy ?
the  install of fibre and modem is downstairs in the office. while the rest of the house is upstairs - concrete floors. not sure what is our best option or  possible price I may  be looking at ?
cant move fibre box. and modem  would have to come up through concrete floor im picking if we move that.
Currently have cat cable going through garage, upstairs, down hall to my pc Rolleyes
Im not trying to be difficult it just comes naturally.
so couple of things come to mind initially...

1. if you have structured cabling in the house, network cables in the walls and jack points in various rooms etc, you can move the modem to one of those jack points more central in the house, and link the ONT with the modem via the structured cabling.

2 For best wifi coverage get a WIFI Mesh network kit, which is basically 2 or 3 repeater type devices that link together and give you a decent spread of wif around the house
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
add on to point 2 of @king1s post. If they have wired connection between them or at a minimum a dedicated wireless.
Another Option, and I find these work really well, is TP-links PoE devices, they plug into your power sockets and you get full strength Wireless in  what ever area you have them, AND you can move the Wireless Device to any room if required. 

The only  downside is the Devices Need to be plugged directly into the power socket, NOT into ta multibox, Often I put in a different "transmitter" with a Passthrough plug if there's no other power socket handy,   (sorts that problem) , that way you plug in the device then you can plug in a Multibox to that ( not the other way around)  Some times you may have to run a slightly longer Cable from the Router to the PoE if another plug is not handy.

These  PoE Adapters   Have a look at the Video bottom right of that site shows how they work.
Upgrades = Old bugs replaced with new Bugs.
Hey Beets...there seems to be some quite complicated answers here.

I bought one of these...works fine. Went from dodgy wifi upstairs to much better wifi upstairs.

https://www.noelleeming.co.nz/p/netgear-...lsrc=aw.ds
Oooook Big Grin

Its a 1960s house, concrete floors are very solid and the thought of what it would take to drill a hole in the floor is a bit mind boggling.

There are phone jacks in a lot of the oddest places, but we have no landline phone. and I think the other things are TV plugs that stand out from the wall. but we dont have sky or freeview here either so these will probably get ripped off the wall eventually. I dont want a big invasive job that needs lots of labour so the booster things may be the way I go. the fibre connection is the most modern bit of the house - no internet cables etc, its in a small office down stairs, so cabling is along the floor at the moment and up stairs

I just need to search for something suitable now
(30-07-2024, 08:24 PM)beetle Wrote: Oooook Big Grin

Its a 1960s house, concrete floors are very solid and the thought of what it would take to drill a hole in the floor is a bit mind boggling.

There are phone jacks in a lot of the oddest places, but we have no landline phone. and I think the other things are TV plugs that stand out from the wall. but we dont have sky or freeview here either  so these will probably get ripped off the wall eventually.  I dont want a big invasive job that needs lots of labour  so the booster things may be the way I go.  the fibre connection is the most modern bit of the house - no internet cables etc, its in a small office down stairs, so cabling is along the floor at the moment and up stairs 

for simplicity, the device that allblack linked is probably as good as anything, although i tend to prefer the tplink brand myself.  The advantage they have will be a simpler set up, especially if you know how WPS works.  

The down side is being a single device it will only expand in a single area and you are limited to how far you can go from the main modem, as against a mesh network that fills in all the coverage gaps... But it is OK if the house isn't too big...

The key with these is to locate the extender halfway between the modem and where you actually need wifi.  If it is too far away, like in the room where you need wifi, then it gets a crap signal from the main modem and will show a strong wifi signal but have a very low internet connection throughput

(31-07-2024, 08:43 AM)king1 Wrote:
(30-07-2024, 08:24 PM)beetle Wrote: Oooook Big Grin

There are phone jacks in a lot of the oddest places, but we have no landline phone. and I think the other things are TV plugs that stand out from the wall. but we dont have sky or freeview here either  so these will probably get ripped off the wall eventually.  I dont want a big invasive job that needs lots of labour  so the booster things may be the way I go.  the fibre connection is the most modern bit of the house - no internet cables etc, its in a small office down stairs, so cabling is along the floor at the moment and up stairs 

for simplicity, the device that allblack linked is probably as good as anything, although i tend to prefer the tplink brand myself.  The advantage they have will be a simpler set up, especially if you know how WPS works.  

The down side is being a single device it will only expand in a single area and you are limited to how far you can go from the main modem, as against a mesh network that fills in all the coverage gaps... But it is OK if the house isn't too big...

The key with these is to locate the extender halfway between the modem and where you actually need wifi.  If it is too far away, like in the room where you need wifi, then it gets a crap signal from the main modem and will show a strong wifi signal but have a very low internet connection throughput

Hence the Suggestion of the POE devices, uses the House Electrical wiring and a plug, and you can move the wireless about if required. Set up several places like that. One  the house is quite a way from the Sleepout, and wireless doesn't even get part way across the yard, Put in POE devices, and bingo - 100% coverage in the Sleepout now. Later on put another at the other end of the house as the bedrooms were hit and miss, now 70-100%  signal strength all over the house  depending on what room you are in.
(31-07-2024, 08:43 AM)king1 Wrote: If it is too far away, like in the room where you need wifi, then it gets a crap signal from the main modem and will show a strong wifi signal but have a very low internet connection throughput

aaaaand that explains my issue. I just thought Allah hated me.
(31-07-2024, 04:22 PM)allblack Wrote:
(31-07-2024, 08:43 AM)king1 Wrote: If it is too far away, like in the room where you need wifi, then it gets a crap signal from the main modem and will show a strong wifi signal but have a very low internet connection throughput

aaaaand that explains my issue. I just thought Allah hated me.

Ideally you want a minimum of 50% overlap of the signals. This is why Extenders are so overrated, many dont know how to set them up correctly ( see Picture)

This is why I'd rather Use POE's, no hassles from being out of range.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

What's the harm of a few Ethernet cables on the floor...?

Honestly, just run them along the skirting board and if you need to cross the floor use one of those cable protector strips to avoid damage and trips

Cheapest, fastest, and most reliable.
(26-07-2024, 07:55 AM)Wainuitech Wrote: Another Option, and I find these work really well, is TP-links PoE devices, they plug into your power sockets and you get full strength Wireless in  what ever area you have them, AND you can move the Wireless Device to any room if required. 

The only  downside is the Devices Need to be plugged directly into the power socket, NOT into ta multibox, Often I put in a different "transmitter" with a Passthrough plug if there's no other power socket handy,   (sorts that problem) , that way you plug in the device then you can plug in a Multibox to that ( not the other way around)  Some times you may have to run a slightly longer Cable from the Router to the PoE if another plug is not handy.

These  PoE Adapters   Have a look at the Video bottom right of that site shows how they work.

Yes, these are great.
(EoP though, not PoE)
Quote:Yes, these are great.
(EoP though, not PoE)

OOPS my bad, you are correct. They are EoP.

In my defense, I have been doing a lot of work installing PoE Devices (Access points that are Power over Ethernet) so got the lettering on the brain Big Grin

These -  https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-netw...nt/eap650/
Im lost.............why do i need a thing in the ceiling ?

Having issues with PS4 and pc  real laggy currently on cables........ when we are supposed to have super fast fibr.
cables are a bit of a nightmare going up the stairs, but we living with it currently till I find a booster thing. but we may need to check  our modem as speed does not seem to be great currently.
(06-08-2024, 07:53 PM)beetle Wrote: Im lost.............why do i need a thing in the ceiling ?

Having issues with PS4 and pc  real laggy currently on cables........ when we are supposed to have super fast fibr.
cables are a bit of a nightmare going up the stairs, but we living with it currently till I find a booster thing. but we may need to check  our modem as speed does not seem to be great currently.

it's just one option in getting wifi around the place...

As for the internet speed try powering off/on the modem AND the ONT - that's the box on the wall with flashing lights

(06-08-2024, 07:53 PM)beetle Wrote: Im lost.............why do i need a thing in the ceiling ?

You don't need one in the Ceiling For Wifi, I was just showing decibel how I managed to get the devices names mixed up. I had been working a LOT with PoE devices and had the letters on the brain, the Ones I suggested I was meant to say EoP  (as 1st linked), way better than extenders and close to no set-up ( if you want a different Wireless name from the router) its plug them in and connect Via their Name and Password on the bottom of the units - give 100% strength from the room they are in, or you can use the original wireless name as well  ( all in instructions and video)

The Ceiling Ones I linked are used for giving wireless to different places by running an Ethernet cable from another source ( Router /Switch, generally cables hidden in the ceiling)  The EoP Devices connect Via your power Sockets on the wall, and use the house electrical system /Wiring to carry an internet signal - Same as an ethernet cable.

Watch the Video from the link in post #4   The Demo they give sounds exactly how your house is.  Edited; This link https://youtu.be/tRmpQ90uOLw

ALSO -- in the original post you mentioned the problem was with wifi not getting to some areas -- Now you're also added its laggy on Ethernet cables -- Two different things.