Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pike River
I think its great news that it gives some families closure, but it wont be enough evidence on if any have survived the explosion or not I dont think.
What it does tell us is that at least some parts of the mine deeper in are still intact.
Its the most tragic mining accident this country has had, if any money spent on this can bring people to account, then its 100% worth it.
(21-11-2021, 08:28 PM)nzoomed Wrote: I think its great news that it gives some families closure, but it wont be enough evidence on if any have survived the explosion or not I dont think.
What it does tell us is that at least some parts of the mine deeper in are still intact.
Its the most tragic mining accident this country has had, if any money spent on this can bring people to account, then its 100% worth it.
 It would be an excellent result if any findings from this tragedy were able to ensure that such an awful thing can never happen again here.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I don't think that spending millions of dollars on findings will stop it happening again.

And there are often many other people getting killed doing various things, often even in the workplace in easily preventable accidents, but those don't capture the imagination of the country do they?
(22-11-2021, 11:30 AM)TygerTung Wrote: I don't think that spending millions of dollars on findings will stop it happening again.

And there are often many other people getting killed doing various things, often even in the workplace in easily preventable accidents, but those don't capture the imagination of the country do they?
Probably because so many were involved, I think, & in such a relatively small place.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
The Brunner Mine disaster is the deadliest mining disaster in New Zealand’s history: 65 killed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brunner_Mine_disaster  

Perhaps part of the reason the Pike tragedy captured the imagination of NZ was that it happened just a few weeks after the Copiapó mining accident in Chile, 5 August – 13 October 2010, and the safe rescue there of 'Los 33'.
https://data.worksafe.govt.nz/graph/summary/fatalities
(22-11-2021, 03:57 PM)Bracken Wrote: The Brunner Mine disaster is the deadliest mining disaster in New Zealand’s history: 65 killed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brunner_Mine_disaster  

Perhaps part of the reason the Pike tragedy captured the imagination of NZ was that it happened just a few weeks after the Copiapó mining accident in Chile, 5 August – 13 October 2010, and the safe rescue there of 'Los 33'.
  That's likely to be a part of it.
So we need to consider that there are more people dying all the time from more easily preventable causes.
(22-11-2021, 04:09 PM)TygerTung Wrote: So  we need to consider that there are more people dying all the time from more easily preventable causes.
 ideally our health system would be able to cope with it all - in an ideal world. Wink
No, I mean workplace accidents. Often there is stuff which is obviously dangerous or a hazard, but it is ignored.
If only this robot was available at the time of the disaster...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZRAGpo3wy0
(22-11-2021, 10:21 PM)nzoomed Wrote: If only this robot was available at the time of the disaster...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZRAGpo3wy0
 Interesting - that could have been really useful.
(22-11-2021, 04:09 PM)TygerTung Wrote: So  we need to consider that there are more people dying all the time from more easily preventable causes.
Solid  energy were warned it was a gaseous mine  but went ahead anyway .   substandard instalation  short  cuts to get it open   rules not followed   &  the enevitable happened   then the blame was shifted on to mine management.   Pity we didnt get a full high  court trial    then  it  would all  come out   but govt & unions     didnt  want their  part in it  exposed
(29-11-2021, 11:35 PM)joe 90 Wrote:
Solid  energy were warned it was a gaseous mine  but went ahead anyway .   substandard instalation  short  cuts to get it open   rules not followed   &  the enevitable happened   then the blame was shifted on to mine management.   Pity we didnt get a full high  court trial    then  it  would all  come out   but govt & unions     didnt  want their  part in it  exposed

Sure, but not sure what extra benefit we would get by more digging in the gaseous mine?