Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Game on" says Luxon
Plain old snobbery I think, sneering at her because she worked in a menial job. Imo, every person wanting to become a politician should be obliged to spend at least 6 months working at a menial job; it would provide a taste of reality which some of them sorely lack.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
feeding people at any level is a noble and worthy occupation.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
(21-02-2022, 01:44 PM)Magoo Wrote: feeding people at any level is a noble and worthy occupation.
It is that - & if it came to a choice between the PM & Luxon or any other leader to provide a meal quickly, we at least know the PM has the experience to do it. Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
i shall wait and see on mr luxon.
hes not had the time nor the opportunity to prove his mettle
its a luxury not being dyed in the wool can afford.
It's simply lack of business experience, it is you two scrapping at the bottom of the barrel that I'm belittling working in a fish and chip shop, Oh_hun did with her post.

What other jobs has the PM had besides being a DJ ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacinda_Ar...st%20Youth.
(21-02-2022, 06:00 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacinda_Ar...st%20Youth.
But it's all political stuff. No business experience. There is no teacher like experience.

I would like to see someone at the helm that has started a business from scratch and built an empire. Don't think Luxton fits the bill ? CEO of Air NZ still someone operating in a cocoon. Still better than the PM's business experience though. And as for the minister of finance he is like a deer with no eyes and legs, running the country to ruin.
Oh for heaven's sake. Next thing you'll be offering your qualifications gained from The University of Life.
surely five as Prime Minister of a country should count for something... being re-elected suggests she was doing something right, even though National were doing everything wrong...

I think as soon as a businessman get the top job all they will want to do is run the country like a business, and every department will become a profit center, which means all social services will get the big squeeze...

There needs to be a balance...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
I can't understand why people worship businessmen...I think it shows their lack of real world experience.
I do have other cameras!
(21-02-2022, 08:31 PM)Praktica Wrote: I can't understand why people worship businessmen...I think it shows their lack of real world experience.
Worshipping is a long bow. Lack of real world experience to me is when someone thinks they can sum someone up by 
a few sentences on a message board. People are way more dynamic than to be pigeon holed. Not all businessmen or business women are bad, get the right one at the helm and we will all be having our cake and eating it too. If you don't have someone that knows the value of the dollar we all end up paying. Why do I feel like I'm flogging a dead horse on what appears to be a very left wing board ? Lollol

Need a party in the middle of labour and national or for the two of them to work together to have balance.

Impressed how the PM is not buckling under pressure to lift mandates - that is leadership. Luxton's idea of lifting mandates speaks volume that he is not that bright. To my knowledge he has never been a businessmen but an employee.

(21-02-2022, 07:00 PM)king1 Wrote: surely five as Prime Minister of a country should count for something... being re-elected suggests she was doing something right, even though National were doing everything wrong...

I think as soon as a businessman get the top job all they will want to do is run the country like a business, and every department will become a profit center, which means all social services will get the big squeeze...

Everything wrong lolol, this is the trouble with lefties, tunnel vision, no balance in viewpoint.

(21-02-2022, 06:52 PM)Olive Wrote: Oh for heaven's sake.  Next thing you'll be offering your qualifications gained from The University of Life.
I haven't offered any of my qualifications.
i think businessmen make great leaders.
they know the workings and processes necessary to run an organisation.
they are objective and used to making hard decisions.
they know how to manage people
they know how to compromise
they have a visible, measurable background of success.

you might be an awesome geography teacher, or the best coder in the game
but thats all knitting with yogurt when it comes to finance and governance.
I have worked for some great business people who couldn't manage people at all. The staff turnover made that seriously obvious, and yet these managers kept blaming their people.

Governance is about managing people. The current debacle is a perfect illustration. Money simply won't sort it. Nor will organisational expertise. People skills might.

Those and a few water cannon.
people management was one of five attributes (out of a dozen) i gave as a good leader.
lets say im wrong and successful businessman dont have people handling skills.
isometrically they succeed, they find people who do. i should have said they know when to get people who manage people. they are problem solvers. steve jobs springs to mind.
if empathy and good PR during crises were all thats needed for the job then we're spoiled for choice.
effective leadership requires so much more.

(21-02-2022, 07:00 PM)king1 Wrote: surely five as Prime Minister of a country should count for something... being re-elected suggests she was doing something right, even though National were doing everything wrong...

i dont think governance based on how generous you are with welfare and social services is a huge factor to the majority of the voting public.
The best boss I worked for was not a "businessman" in the sense of those mentioned above. His various replacements over the years were "businessmen", and what an ignorant bunch of losers they turned out to be. None of them had run an airline before, though.
I do have other cameras!
When you think about it, CEOs rarely have to deal with the vast numbers of minions whose labours make their position possible. Their people skills don't have to be that good, they have power to compensate for being bastards.
(22-02-2022, 06:12 AM)Magoo Wrote: people management was one of five attributes (out of a dozen) i gave as a good leader.
isometrically they succeed, they find people who do. i should have said they know when to get people who manage people. they are problem solvers. steve jobs springs to mind.
if empathy and good PR during crises were all thats needed for the job then we're spoiled for choice.

i dont think governance based on how generous you are with welfare and social services is a huge factor to the majority of the voting public.
I was thinking of things like waiting lists for housing, operations, acc claims etc whenever national get in Budgets get cut in the interest of 'efficiency', services reduced and people end up no longer qualifying to be on the waiting list, ACC suddenly start rejecting more claims etc... those sort of things, happens every time Nats get in...  

Yes they bring financial management to the table, arguably with better experience than labour,  but I feel like Nats are too extreme in the 'efficiency' dept to the detriment of the above...  Like I said, there needs to be a balance...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(22-02-2022, 04:47 AM)Magoo Wrote: i think businessmen make great leaders.
they know the workings and processes necessary to run an organisation.
they are objective and used to making hard decisions.
they know how to manage people
they know how to compromise
they have a visible, measurable background of success.

you might be an awesome geography teacher, or the best coder in the game
but thats all knitting with yogurt when it comes to finance and governance.
Hallelujah, that is it in a nutshell. Like this Magoo intelligent and funny IMHO..

(22-02-2022, 05:44 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I have worked for some great business people who couldn't manage people at all. The staff turnover made that seriously obvious, and yet these managers kept blaming their people.

Governance is about managing people. The current debacle is a perfect illustration. Money simply won't sort it. Nor will organisational expertise. People skills might.

Those and a few water cannon.
How can you say they were a great business people if they couldn't manage staff. Being  great in business just does not come down to how much money you can make.

(22-02-2022, 06:12 AM)Magoo Wrote: people management was one of five attributes (out of a dozen) i gave as a good leader.

Good point Magoo re a business owner can always get someone in with the people skills.
Mmmm, or a prime minister can get someone with financial skills...

A successful company is usually measured by profit, don't you think? But that doesn't mean having great people management isn't a good thing. It's just hard to quantify that on a balance sheet.
successful companies are measured by growth.
toyota has a legendary manager/employee reputation. Company culture being a big factor from the start.
GM has a shit reputation for its treatment of staff. GM sells more cars.