Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newshub-Reid Research poll
[quote="Magoo" pid='17663' dateline='1644796680'

carry on like an old woman

[/quote]

Not sure what you mean by this. I didn't have you pegged as ageist or sexist so maybe there's a meaning that I don't know.
(14-02-2022, 11:25 AM)reigns Wrote: I honestly don't care how either National or Labour are doing in the polls. Neither party does fuck all anyway.

I'd rather spite vote for Greens next election or waste my vote on TOP than be complicit in returning either major party back to power. Clark let housing boom under her, Key criticised her for it. National's own housing price boom was tempered by the GFC, and they waited until late in the game to start "reviewing" the RMA. Ardern promised more houses and greater affordability, then did a complete backflip and has reigned over the higher house price increase in, like, forever.

COVID is not my main concern anymore. It is what it is now. Housing is still a problem. A lack of wage movement for a lot of Kiwis is still a problem. Our crumbling infrastructure is still a problem. Climate change is still a problem. I've only voted in a handful of elections but enough now, at least, to know that both Luxon and Ardern will talk about the problems and the solutions they have but neither will end up doing fucking anything.

A change of government only interests me so far as meaning I get to hear from a different group moaning for a few years. God knows the NZ Issues-types have near filled up the Moaning Bucket in less than two complete terms.
"God knows the NZ Issues-types have near filled up the Moaning Bucket in less than two complete terms."

True, but they do deserve credit for giving it an excellent try, & continuing to do so. Angel Big Grin

As for politicians, I'm with Mark Twain on that.

"The desire to become a politician should be sufficient to warrant being banned from ever doing so for life."
Mark Twain
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(14-02-2022, 12:42 PM)Olive Wrote: [quote="Magoo" pid='17663' dateline='1644796680'

carry on like an old woman

Not sure what you mean by this.  I didn't have you pegged as ageist or sexist so maybe there's a meaning that I don't know.
[/quote]

i might be an old woman
and therefore none of the above.
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
(14-02-2022, 01:45 PM)Magoo Wrote:
(14-02-2022, 12:42 PM)Olive Wrote: Not sure what you mean by this.  I didn't have you pegged as ageist or sexist so maybe there's a meaning that I don't know.

i might be an old woman
and therefore none of the above.
Old people can be ageist, women can be misogynist.  You haven't explained what the expression actually means.
Not sure if anybody knows what Magoo was implying, much less Magoo themself.

Old is a fine word. It went through a phase of being unpopular because of certain stereotypical connotations, but it's making a bit of a comeback. Clunky alternatives like elderly and aged are going the way of the dodo, and that's a good thing. PC politeness always comes across as a tad insincere, eliciting the occasional eye roll.

Out of interest, would you have honestly queried it if Magoo had said "carry on like an old man"?
'old man' doesnt work, not strident or sharp enough, benign even
'old woman' conjures up the image i was shooting for, nails it really.
you do understand i was referring to myself in this post, as an old woman.
this is called self deprecating humour and being the butt of my own misogynistic/ageist jokes is a cross i am happy to bear

however, i am not without compassion for the elderly, or women. it must be hard.
you know what i mean, weaker etc. i do feel some pity, im not heartless.
(14-02-2022, 05:37 PM)Magoo Wrote: 'old man' doesnt work, not strident or sharp enough, benign even
'old woman' conjures up the image i was shooting for, nails it really.
you do understand  i was referring to myself in this post, as an old woman.
this is called self deprecating humour and being the butt of my own misogynistic/ageist jokes is a cross i am happy to bear 

however, i am not without compassion for the elderly, or women. it must be hard.
you know what i mean, weaker etc. i do feel some pity, im not heartless.
So anyway Magoo, how do you fancy a nice soothing cuppa then?

Hemlock's nice... Big Grin Big Grin Angel Angel
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
mmm nom nom hemlock, love to but there are antivaxxers, maskholes and alt right nutbars out there that are waiting for their daily ration of magoo. im shooting for an all time high on the death threat counter tonite.
tis the lords work i do.
(14-02-2022, 06:10 PM)Magoo Wrote: mmm nom nom hemlock, love to but there are antivaxxers, maskholes and alt right nutbars out there that are waiting for their daily ration of magoo. im shooting for an all time high on the death threat counter tonite.
tis the lords work i do.
Best not to disappoint them, then.

Big Grin Big Grin Angel
(14-02-2022, 04:59 PM)yousnoozeyoulose Wrote: Not sure if anybody knows what Magoo was implying, much less Magoo themself.

Old is a fine word. It went through a phase of being unpopular because of certain stereotypical connotations, but it's making a bit of a comeback. Clunky alternatives like elderly and aged are going the way of the dodo, and that's a good thing. PC politeness always comes across as a tad insincere, eliciting the occasional eye roll.

Out of interest, would you have honestly queried it if Magoo had said "carry on like an old man"?
Good question.   Possibly not, my antennae are more attuned to sexism than to ageism.   Also, there are plenty of examples on this messageboard of stereotypical "old man shakes fist at sky", very few female equivalents if any.   As far as I can tell.

I still don't know what carrying on like an old woman means.
(14-02-2022, 06:33 PM)Olive Wrote:  I still don't know what carrying on like an old woman means.

unaccustomed, and uninclined as i am towards research i pushed the boat out
and asked the interwebby about old woman like behaviour.
and being a vituperative, razor tongued old ball buster is a thing.
(it doesnt get quite that descriptive, but they allude to it.)
here you go olive my old  chinois

https://www.healthywomen.org/content/art...-old-woman