Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
This site can’t be reached
Yep, lets hope it can be sorted.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
What browser is everybody using?
Im using firefox and have zero issues in firefox, ive noticed it in chrome however.
I might need to update our mybb platform if thats the case.

Otherwise, failing that, we will need to switch hosting providers which will cost us a little more.
Ive been in touch with them and they cant find anything up at their end. But will see if they can offer us a different server.
I'm using Safari and have had no problems.
Chrome here normally...
trialing MS Edge browser for today, so far no glitches
Might try out firefox tomorrow.

It would be quite pleasing almost if it just ended up being a Chrome problem - can anyone dispel that...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(21-06-2022, 08:29 PM)harm_less Wrote: Just got a 'Can't be found' message and had to go back to the front page of the site to get back in.

Out of interest have you had any issues with DDoS attacks lately? We have had to implement a proxy server (CloudFlare) due to the massive numbers of bot attempts to access our admin area which was making it near impossible to get into our own website. That and a bit more jiggerypokery seems to have solved the proble.  Touch wood Undecided
This was using Firefox but it is a very much one-off example as I've never experienced it at other times.
Chrome here.
Bloody red box!
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(29-06-2022, 07:10 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Chrome here.
Bloody red box!
what red box?

Chrome
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
Interesting people having issues with Chrome.
If anyone has issues in other browsers such as firefox, let me know.
Can't say I noticed any problems in my trial of Edge yesterday, which is odd since it's based on the same code as Chrome...
Maybe google have introduced some stupidness into Chrome...

I will persist with Edge for another day or so and move on to Firefox...

Well today I have been back to using Chrome and it hasn't missed a beat... So go figure..

Edge was fine over the last couple of days also...

I notice a new version of Chrome was released 2022-06-21, which was installed on 29th June for myself - just maybe...

Strange isint it?

I wonder if the hosting provider has done anything as a response to my emails?

Either way, the latency with an overseas server might not be helping things, but I think its probably a good idea to perform an upgrade, will need to take us offline when I do so, not too sure when I will have time but next week.

If end up switching hosting, I will probably go with an NZ crowd, but will cost us a bit more. If we get enough dontations to keep it running, I may consider this, but lets see how things play out first.
(02-07-2022, 01:56 PM)nzoomed Wrote: .....
If end up switching hosting, I will probably go with an NZ crowd, but will cost us a bit more. If we get enough dontations to keep it running, I may consider this, but lets see how things play out first.
If you're in the market for a NZ based hosting server I can recommend MyHost. Very reasonable rates and brilliant support. These guys don't sleep judging by the wide range of times I have received emails from their techs.
If need be I would be willing to throw in a few dollars.
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
(02-07-2022, 01:56 PM)nzoomed Wrote: Strange isint it?

Either way, the latency with an overseas server might not be helping things, but I think its probably a good idea to perform an upgrade, will need to take us offline when I do so, not too sure when I will have time but next week.

Wouldn't be the first time one makes contact with a call centre and stuff magically starts working properly

(02-07-2022, 02:20 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(02-07-2022, 01:56 PM)nzoomed Wrote: .....
If you're in the market for a NZ based hosting server I can recommend MyHost. Very reasonable rates and brilliant support. These guys don't sleep judging by the wide range of times I have received emails from their techs.
looks like $9 a month based on here
https://myhost.nz/hosting/web-hosting

Do you know if they support CPANEL @harm_less?   Can you verify this, it is one of the features of the current hosting.
EDIT: looks like they do, just checked it against your website @harm_less

I think getting some updates in is a good idea...

there are a couple of good ideas for integrating a donation button as well  post 6 and 7.  Post six will at least get us a donate button and page to list bank account number etc 
https://community.mybb.com/thread-202747.html

a badge plugin of sorts to identify donors (and other stuff) might note be a bad idea as well

(02-07-2022, 03:32 PM)king1 Wrote:
(02-07-2022, 02:20 PM)harm_less Wrote: If you're in the market for a NZ based hosting server I can recommend MyHost. Very reasonable rates and brilliant support. These guys don't sleep judging by the wide range of times I have received emails from their techs.
looks like $9 a month based on here

Do you know if they support CPANEL @harm_less?   Can you verify this, it is one of the features of the current hosting.
Yes they do CPANEL. Cost is $9/month +GST. We also use CloudFlare as a proxy server as we recently suffered a DDoS attack and on MyHost's (and our web developer's) advice got onto CloudFlare's free service as CF have the might to deal with the high visit volumes we were seeing. For a while we couuldn't even access our own site due to overloading! Solved the problem for a while but the bots' persistence saw us then block all access to our website for any IP outside NZ & AU. That seems to have got on top of it.

Our sales outside of Australasia weren't significant but if we are contacted by a previous customer further afield we can do a manually invoiced sale if need be.

(02-07-2022, 05:14 PM)king1 Wrote:

I think getting some updates in is a good idea...

there are a couple of good ideas for integrating a donation button as well  post 6 and 7.  Post six will at least get us a donate button and page to list bank account number etc 

a badge plugin of sorts to identify donors (and other stuff) might note be a bad idea as well
Worth considering some sort of payment/donation functionality using PayPal. They offer a system that is very easy to integrate into a website and for those who don't have PayPal accounts it still offers a credit card accessible payment option. About 3.5% commission and a standing 45c charge per payment so not too onerous for small value transactions, and a hell of a lot easier (and cheaper) than dealing with Merchant Facility requirements which banks demand for credit card functionality.
(02-07-2022, 05:49 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(02-07-2022, 03:32 PM)king1 Wrote: looks like $9 a month based on here

Yes they do CPANEL. Cost is $9/month +GST. We also use CloudFlare as a proxy server as we recently suffered a DDoS attack and on MyHost's (and our web developer's) advice got onto CloudFlare's free service as CF have the might to deal with the high visit volumes we were seeing. For a while we couuldn't even access our own site due to overloading! Solved the problem for a while but the bots' persistence saw us then block all access to our website for any IP outside NZ & AU. That seems to have got on top of it.

Our sales outside of Australasia weren't significant but if we are contacted by a previous customer further afield we can do a manually invoiced sale if need be.

(02-07-2022, 05:14 PM)king1 Wrote: I think getting some updates in is a good idea...

Worth considering some sort of payment/donation functionality using PayPal. They offer a system that is very easy to integrate into a website and for those who don't have PayPal accounts it still offers a credit card accessible payment option. About 3.5% commission and a standing 45c charge per payment so not too onerous for small value transactions, and a hell of a lot easier (and cheaper) than dealing with Merchant Facility requirements which banks demand for credit card functionality.
yep good idea,
and we could use this plugin for a badge for all donors

https://community.mybb.com/mods.php?action=view&pid=396

I quite like the idea of adding badges for donations.

Anyone still having any issues?
Im going to perform an update to mybb when I get some spare time.