Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Concern over anti-maori sentiment?
Charles Kingsley...

Quote:But I am haunted by the human chimpanzees I saw along that hundred miles of horrible country. I don’t believe they are our fault, I believe that there are not only more of them than of old, but that they are happier, better, more comfortably fed and lodged under our rule than they ever were. But to see white chimpanzees is dreadful; if they were black, one would not feel it so much, but their skins, except where tanned by exposure, are as white as ours.

They considered themselves a superior being than the Irish.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(26-06-2022, 10:37 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Charles Kingsley...

Quote:But I am haunted by the human chimpanzees I saw along that hundred miles of horrible country. I don’t believe they are our fault, I believe that there are not only more of them than of old, but that they are happier, better, more comfortably fed and lodged under our rule than they ever were. But to see white chimpanzees is dreadful; if they were black, one would not feel it so much, but their skins, except where tanned by exposure, are as white as ours.

They considered themselves a superior being than the Irish.
was this the commonly held belief of the majority at the time?  first time of heard of this... Doesn't make any sense to condemn everyone for the beliefs of an individual or a few...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
A very common belief held by the English about the Irish, that quote was from 1861, potato famine era.. They also specifically referenced Maori and Polynesians for comparison to the Irish.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society