Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Coffee or not to coffee?
(10-11-2022, 08:40 AM)SueDonim Wrote: Tiktok isn't an evidence based source of information. The person is a "Functional nutritional therapist" whatever that means. She might know something or she might just be a fly-by-night faddist pushing a theory that has no base. The article doesn't actually tell us who she is, and looking at linked in (https://www.linkedin.com/in/olivia-hedlund-0147a6116) she's seems to be more into marketing than dietetics. Her nutritionist career is only 1 year old and I can't find any evidence of her assertion. Maybe just another example of an Influence influencing the media and upsetting people.

So, I'd say if you want to drink coffee do so, in moderation of course because caffeine is a drug. If you are worried that hitting the stomach with too much acid first thing in the morning might be a problem, then tea also has caffeine and the tannin is acidic too, and the acid in orange juice is probably worse.
Seems to be just another clickbait article from the Harold. The information in it is nothing new but as many people have very little knowledge of the effects of many things they put down their throats it may help a few dim souls.

Essentially save your coffee until after you've eaten and if you drink your coffee with milk or cream then the neutralising effect of dairy products will help buffer the acidity, and rate of absorption, of your coffee.

Personally my first action on entering the kitchen in the morning is to switch on the espresso machine so my long black is up to temperature when I've eaten my toast. Likewise when ordering in a cafe 'coffee after the meal' is our standard instruction. And incidentally on the very rare occasion I consume instant coffee it definitely does do my gut any favours.
Unless you have a nasty headache, in which case wash your medication of choice down with a strong coffee. It multiplies the effect without threatening the liver...
(10-11-2022, 09:13 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Unless you have a nasty headache, in which case wash your medication of choice down with a strong coffee. It multiplies the effect without threatening the liver...
Yep! But if you're in North America most analgesics have caffeine included in their formulation. I struggled to source such products in Canada while there in 2004 without caffeine, which I was wanting for pain relief from an arthritic knee during the nighttime without sleep disruption from the caffeine.