Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dairy worker killed in stabbing
So it appears a third person was arrested today. How does this work? Sounds like it was a planned robbery with several people involved?
We have thrown tax dollars at the mental health crisis, and solved nothing. We have lowered unemployment and businesses are screaming for staff. We are building new homes both social and private and still rents are unaffordable. We have the healthy homes initiative and still have overpriced cold wet moldy dwellings. We have schools in every suburb and increasing numbers of absentee learners. We have single use plastic bans and still bottled water for sale in our supermarkets.

The government, of whatever flavour cannot stop people being greedy, filthy, violent, ignorant, or needy just by throwing more money at it. Sooner or later, we as a community have to make better choices. As businesses, make better choices. As farmers, as parents, as employees...

Or life will do it for us.

I am very sorry this young man was murdered. I am very sorry he chose to chase down a violent criminal. I hope those involved in his death go down hard, but the government is not responsible for his death. And this government will support his family, through our ACC and victim support systems.

Let's not forget the good things our governments do for us and our communities as we look for someone to blame for our tragedies.
The death of this young man is tragic, & should never have happened. It does sound as though there were at least three involved, & may have been planned rather than spur of the moment.
According to the news the main person involved is a 501, sent back here by Australia's govt

I think most countries are slowly coming to understand that, if we want prisoners to change then we need to change our prisons because one of the biggest problems is recidivism. With the exception of America & China & a few others, most have taken a look at what's worked elsewhere & adapted it to their own countries.
Even here, a programme called take 2 is giving those in prison skills in the area of programming & internet skills.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/business/29-08-...able-skill

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programme...ir-prisons
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(28-11-2022, 01:56 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: We have thrown tax dollars at the mental health crisis, and solved nothing. We have lowered unemployment and businesses are screaming for staff. We are building new homes both social and private and still rents are unaffordable. We have the healthy homes initiative and still have overpriced cold wet moldy dwellings. We have schools in every suburb and increasing numbers of absentee learners. We have single use plastic bans and still bottled water for sale in our supermarkets.

The government, of whatever flavour cannot stop people being greedy, filthy, violent, ignorant, or needy just by throwing more money at it. Sooner or later, we as a community have to make better choices. As businesses, make better choices. As farmers, as parents, as employees...

I am very sorry this young man was murdered. I am very sorry he chose to chase down a violent criminal. I hope those involved in his death go down hard, but the government is not responsible for his death. And this government will support his family, through our ACC and victim support systems.

Let's not forget the good things our governments do for us and our communities as we look for someone to blame for our tragedies.

Yes, yes yes, but  I have no optimism at all that the international forces of disruption will be conquered by the genuine altruism of our present government.  Greed will be the undoing of our world and I am lost in admiration of our PM, DPM and their cabinet, who continue to battle on in the face of the global pressures and distortions by the news media.
The media are in it for clicks. So they will dog whistle endlessly in order to collect them, whip up conflict, blame the guys who cannot fight back, and always present the disease of the week victim for the sympathy vote. Very few actually ask the hard questions and listen to the answers they get. They want sound bites, not analysis, and they certainly aren't equipped to understand analysis if they get it.

Heavens most of them don't know the difference between rein and reign, unless Prince Andrew is the lead...
(28-11-2022, 06:50 PM)Olive Wrote:
(28-11-2022, 01:56 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: We have thrown tax dollars at the mental health crisis, and solved nothing. We have lowered unemployment and businesses are screaming for staff. We are building new homes both social and private and still rents are unaffordable. We have the healthy homes initiative and still have overpriced cold wet moldy dwellings. We have schools in every suburb and increasing numbers of absentee learners. We have single use plastic bans and still bottled water for sale in our supermarkets.

Yes, yes yes, but  I have no optimism at all that the international forces of disruption will be conquered by the genuine altruism of our present government.  Greed will be the undoing of our world and I am lost in admiration of our PM, DPM and their cabinet, who continue to battle on in the face of the global pressures and distortions by the news media.

Agreed - perhaps we should thank bloody-Roger-bloody-Douglas & his merry band of mercenary bastards for a graphic lesson in what happens when greed is allowed to run free. I honestly do not believe that anyone who is extremely wealthy should ever have power over other people who are not - especially politicians, since they can have no idea of the reality of life for those people.

I could though, suggest ways we could help them learn if they were elected to parliament. Rolleyes

And yes - to have a decent person as PM is a shocking change, & doesn't go down well with some of  those on the right. Smile

(28-11-2022, 07:46 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: The media are in it for clicks. So they will dog whistle endlessly in order to collect them, whip up conflict, blame the guys who cannot fight back, and always present the disease of the week victim for the sympathy vote. Very few actually ask the hard questions and listen to the answers they get. They want sound bites, not analysis, and they certainly aren't equipped to understand analysis if they get it.

Heavens most of them don't know the difference between rein and reign, unless Prince Andrew is the lead...

Indeed - but it wasn't always like this. We did at one time, get actual news rather than idiotic sound bites & sensationalised bollocks. Surely there's a journalism school somewhere which could teach them proper skills. Perhaps deepest Mongolia...? Rolleyes
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
So who is this decent PM your talking about?

Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
(29-11-2022, 02:13 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: So who is this decent PM your talking about?

Have you ever at any time previously, heard of any PM anywhere at all who hugged a person suffering massive grief & shock?

Ever heard of any PM who is capable of changing something when they're told they have it wrong?

The obvious point being that although this govt & PM have made some mistakes, they've also managed to get some things right. I'd prefer to see them wade in & bring about more radical changes, but that seems unlikely at this stage.
This country has suffered huge changes under Neo Liberalism from both Labour & National  - there's now a massive gap between rich & poor which is causing various problems for us all.

And the alternative to the present govt  appears to be more of the same from a party which either doesn't want things to change or cannot comprehend the need for it.
Have you ever at any time previously, heard of any PM anywhere at all who hugged a person suffering massive grief & shock?
Great photo shoot option wasnt it?

Ever heard of any PM who is capable of changing something when they're told they have it wrong?
Only when they are down in the polls.

Sneaking 3/6 waters legislation through on urgency hoping we wouldnt notice the entrench clause which would be constitutionally damaging.
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
The entrench clause? You mean the one preventing privatisation to the likes of Nestle? Whose CEO once loudly declared water belonged to those who were willing to pay for it...
(29-11-2022, 02:13 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: So who is this decent PM your talking about?

inflation in the late 70's early 80's was up around 15-16%, under national I might add... Should we take the rest of that list as equally speculative?

Most of those problems have been in the making for decades by successive governments, the rest are just someone's personal, no doubt biased, opinion...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(29-11-2022, 02:43 PM)Oldfellah Wrote: Have you ever at any time previously, heard of any PM anywhere at all who hugged a person suffering massive grief & shock?
Great photo shoot option wasnt it?

Only when they are down in the polls.

Sneaking 3/6 waters legislation through on urgency hoping we wouldnt notice the entrench clause which would be constitutionally damaging.

That's exactly what right supporters do, claim 'it was a photo opportunity'  - they apparently have huge difficulty in comprehending empathy. As does the leader of National who is keen to raise the age for the pension, & to hell with those who'll suffer because of it.

Thanks to Eugenie Sage of the Green party - had she not raised the point then we might at some future point have been selling our water to the highest bidder while we go without sufficient water. Dodgy

To be fair though, there has been one National PM who later spoke out against what he & his party had inflicted on this country - Jim Bolger. And that must have taken guts, despite being retired.
Probably the PM who has navigated COVID19 with NZ having the 101st lowest death rate (and 118th per capita) while also dealing with a bunch of other major events during her time in power. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Seems most of the world can't understand those in NZ who maintain such a negative attitude towards one of the most popular national leaders on the planet.
The view is very different from beyond our coastlines. Of just about anything...

Big Grin
(30-11-2022, 08:51 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: The view is very different from beyond our coastlines. Of just about anything...

Big Grin
NZ's geographical isolation results in our often very blinkered view of life. Has our increased isolation as a result of COVID also added to that myopic appraisal of our present situation?
I doubt anyone could say that this govt hasn't mucked up in some ways, probably most obviously in housing & failing to adequately address poverty.

But there have been few if any, govts anywhere which have had to deal with a pandemic, a terrorist attack & a volcanic eruption while in power. And the problems we have here have been inflicted over decades; they'll take decades to fix.