Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Space is huge and there are more stars than you can count
(28-12-2022, 03:50 PM)Zurdo Wrote:
(28-12-2022, 02:23 PM)harm_less Wrote: You are theorising based on your own (a human's) abilities and experience.

No, I was talking about a video I saw, not my opinion at all...but I thought it was very interesting as far as our own timeline in the universe. Yes, what we can see, smell and hear, it is very limited, and just compared to dumb animals it obvious how much more of the world they are aware of. Space travel may not be limited by the speed of light, but it's the only theory scientists can think of.

I agree. But then I have been drawn so far down the hard science fiction well I am open to all kinds of crazy ideas...
"Religious fundy"? Just because I watch an educational and interesting programme on the Hope channel? But you do deserve the description "bigot" because that is exactly what you are, a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.

I don't criticise you for what you do or do not believe but I do believe that you are completely intolerant of what other people believe. I believe that you are scared of being converted to a belief that you have absolutely no idea of what it is all about. You are afraid of something that you don't understand and have no perception of. You remind me of the old adage, "Ignorance is bliss."
Hope Channel = Seventh Day Adventist. Creationism = the opposite of Darwinism. Beats me how anyone can defend anything shown on that channel, especially offerings based on Christian fundamentalism.
(28-12-2022, 02:23 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(28-12-2022, 11:23 AM)Zurdo Wrote: I was watching a video recently about the lack of aliens...like, we should see them right ?  But are we early or late into space ?  They think we are early...other planets may have beings getting into space right now, but we won't see them for millions of light years.  The place is just too damn big !
You are theorising based on your own (a human's) abilities and experience.

Firstly the species on Earth are carbon based lifeforms. This may well not be the case for those from other galaxies, or even planets, where 'life' may not necessitate having a physical manifestation.

Secondly we 'see' in a relatively narrow segment of the electromagnetic spectrum so an alien may well be in our midst without being detectable using our sight if their realm is present outside of our visible light spectrum. That's if they even exist in a physical form (of a scale) that we recognise.

Lastly we don't have active communication with many lifeforms in our own environment (invertebrates, bacteria, fungi, etc) so why would we readily have the ability, or inclination, to do so with those from outside our current sphere of awareness?

That's an interesting line of thought; we could actually be in contact with aliens without realising that they are aliens.

Fog, for example could be an alien life form - which we've somehow simply mist. Rolleyes

Sorry, sorry - completely unable to resist! Big Grin Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(28-12-2022, 06:05 PM)Olive Wrote: Hope Channel = Seventh Day Adventist.  Creationism = the opposite of Darwinism.    Beats me how anyone can defend anything shown on that channel, especially offerings based on Christian fundamentalism.

Channels purchase content. Of  course they have an interest in the type of content, but not all of these special interest channels show content that is designed to convert the viewer. Like that history of Science Fiction I came across, it was fascinating, and while it swung eventually to an examination of Christian sf, the early parts of it were right up my alley. I think we need to be a bit  careful when we discount wholesale,  everything shown on any channel because of our personal politics or faiths or culture or whatever. I have a neighbour who stopped talking to me when she heard I regularly check Al Jazeera. Because it might be Muslim...

As I said, we don't catch cooties from brief forays into these services. Not everything they show is crap.

Unless of course it is Fox. We need to mask and glove up to watch that crap...

Smile Big Grin Tongue

(28-12-2022, 06:09 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(28-12-2022, 02:23 PM)harm_less Wrote: You are theorising based on your own (a human's) abilities and experience.

Firstly the species on Earth are carbon based lifeforms. This may well not be the case for those from other galaxies, or even planets, where 'life' may not necessitate having a physical manifestation.

Secondly we 'see' in a relatively narrow segment of the electromagnetic spectrum so an alien may well be in our midst without being detectable using our sight if their realm is present outside of our visible light spectrum. That's if they even exist in a physical form (of a scale) that we recognise.

Lastly we don't have active communication with many lifeforms in our own environment (invertebrates, bacteria, fungi, etc) so why would we readily have the ability, or inclination, to do so with those from outside our current sphere of awareness?

That's an interesting line of thought; we could actually be in contact with aliens without realising that they are aliens.

Fog, for example could be an alien life form - which we've somehow simply mist. Rolleyes

We might be the aliens...
(28-12-2022, 06:30 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(28-12-2022, 06:05 PM)Olive Wrote: Hope Channel = Seventh Day Adventist.  Creationism = the opposite of Darwinism.    Beats me how anyone can defend anything shown on that channel, especially offerings based on Christian fundamentalism.

Channels purchase content. Of  course they have an interest in the type of content, but not all of these special interest channels show content that is designed to convert the viewer. Like that history of Science Fiction I came across, it was fascinating, and while it swung eventually to an examination of Christian sf, the early parts of it were right up my alley. I think we need to be a bit  careful when we discount wholesale,  everything shown on any channel because of our personal politics or faiths or culture or whatever. I have a neighbour who stopped talking to me when she heard I regularly check Al Jazeera. Because it might be Muslim...

As I said, we don't catch cooties from brief forays into these services. Not everything they show is crap.

Unless of course it is Fox. We need to mask and glove up to watch that crap...

Smile Big Grin Tongue

(28-12-2022, 06:09 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: That's an interesting line of thought; we could actually be in contact with aliens without realising that they are aliens.

We might be the aliens...

I suspect kangaroos might agree with that... Rolleyes
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)