Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poor suffering farmers - yeah right...
(26-01-2023, 10:18 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(26-01-2023, 09:05 AM)SueDonim Wrote: No one deserves or should get the threats that she had, but she only knows about most of it because she was told. The benefit of the openness of the internet is also it's greatest cost but people who are busy with real life don't do social media or the other garbage. Her decision to leave would have been far more complex than fear of internet extremists.
Except I have heard multiple reports that Jacinda was abused/threatened by a member of the public in a Tirua restaurant during her Christmes break which Neve was also witness to. Online abuse is one thing but threats IRL are a whole different issue and that incident could well have been a 'last straw' experience for her.

Having heard of the event, you may have been perplexed as to why it did not make it to the news or to the papers. It stands to reason that there were likely multiple witnesses to it, yet none of them apparently went to the media with the story, or perhaps the media decided not to pursue it for some unknown reasons.
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
The national businessmen have decided amongst themselves that the costs should go up and so they have. Petrol/transport costs went up by 20% supposedly and the price of every item in the supermarket did as well, even though thousands of individual items could fit on one truck where one tank load of petrol had increased by, supposedly 20%.

Bring back price controls and reel in the conniving businessmen, if they say they won't make enough profit like they are with eggs then just let them go out of business, someone else will come along and make a go of it.

As it is the businessmen get to make super-profits which they think they are entitled to and at the same time discredit Labour.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(26-01-2023, 09:05 AM)SueDonim Wrote:
(26-01-2023, 08:36 AM)zqwerty Wrote: "Why do you think he's an ignorant fool?"

Because he's against Jacinda, with out her and with national in power, for instance, we would have done what happened in America with a huge death toll as people were sacrificed for profit and the attempted smooth running of the economy.

An absolute disgrace that she has felt so disturbed by the right wing vile criticism that she left a position she was born for.

I have always said that the Labour Government (including its leader - but she was just that - leader) did a great job at the beginning of Covid. Yes, it saved very many lives. But then it all fell apart. Too slow getting vaccines and RAT tests going, the MIQ debacles, etc. Then it was all thrown away when the traffic light system ceased just as it was most needed. So yes, we were given some time and it could have been a hell of a lot worse, but it could also have been a lot better.

But that's just covid. The bit that lefties won't acknowledge is how much mess we are now in from all the government interference in other aspects of our lives. So much that has been done was unnecessary and/or pointless and has increased the cost of living both financially and practically. Many people just cannot afford it.

No one deserves or should get the threats that she had, but she only knows about most of it because she was told. The benefit of the openness of the internet is also it's greatest cost but people who are busy with real life don't do social media or the other garbage. Her decision to leave would have been far more complex than fear of internet extremists.

"No one deserves or should get the threats that she had, but she only knows about most of it because she was told."

THAT is hardly the point, surely.  Which is as you say, that no one should ever be subjected to such vile abuse in the first place. 

There does appear to have been an increase in online & offline abuse in recent years & often that's to do with politics, race or gender & seems to be getting more & more nasty. 

Which doesn't say much for human nature but does highlight at least imo the need for more & better education. Most who have some  level of education beyond primary or high school often tend not to be as misogynistic or racist; it might have been interesting had someone surveyed the level of education prevalent among those who protested at Parliament & eventually had to be removed for example. While there would certainly be some who have some higher education, I think its likely that most protesters wouldn't.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(26-01-2023, 10:33 AM)Oldfellah Wrote:
(26-01-2023, 10:18 AM)harm_less Wrote: Except I have heard multiple reports that Jacinda was abused/threatened by a member of the public in a Tirua restaurant during her Christmes break which Neve was also witness to. Online abuse is one thing but threats IRL are a whole different issue and that incident could well have been a 'last straw' experience for her.

Having heard of the event, you may have been perplexed as to why it did not make it to the news or to the papers. It stands to reason that there were likely multiple witnesses to it, yet none of them apparently went to the media with the story, or perhaps the media decided not to pursue it for some unknown reasons.
Mainstream media platforms such as NZ Herald, Stuff, Newshub are far more inclined to add to the negative pile-on against any aspects of Labour policy and politicians. You need only scroll down the comments on such reporting to see how much RWNJ activity lurks within their readship. Anti Labour presents a far better click bait opportunity to them and if they report subjects sympathetic to Labour they risk alienating that customer base and their large business advertisers so no surprise there. As usual, follow the money to get the real answer.
Yes. "Follow the money" is always useful and educational advice. Many of us are still trying to get to the bottom of the funding of Voices for Freedom.
(26-01-2023, 05:18 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(26-01-2023, 10:33 AM)Oldfellah Wrote: Having heard of the event, you may have been perplexed as to why it did not make it to the news or to the papers. It stands to reason that there were likely multiple witnesses to it, yet none of them apparently went to the media with the story, or perhaps the media decided not to pursue it for some unknown reasons.
Mainstream media platforms such as NZ Herald, Stuff, Newshub are far more inclined to add to the negative pile-on against any aspects of Labour policy and politicians. You need only scroll down the comments on such reporting to see how much RWNJ activity lurks within their readship. Anti Labour presents a far better click bait opportunity to them and if they report subjects sympathetic to Labour they risk alienating that customer base and their large business advertisers so no surprise there. As usual, follow the money to get the real answer.

Doesn't seem altogether fair & unbiased, does it - half of a story or a slanted story rather than the full facts. Dodgy
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Times are tuff, I am on an old person pension, airforce pension and working 47 hrs/week @ $35.00.
There is always something to take it away like upgrading the colour radar on the boat.
Dont hold a grudge, slash their tires and call it evens.
If its old and British I want it except British helicopters.
(27-01-2023, 02:22 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(26-01-2023, 05:18 PM)harm_less Wrote: Mainstream media platforms such as NZ Herald, Stuff, Newshub are far more inclined to add to the negative pile-on against any aspects of Labour policy and politicians. You need only scroll down the comments on such reporting to see how much RWNJ activity lurks within their readship. Anti Labour presents a far better click bait opportunity to them and if they report subjects sympathetic to Labour they risk alienating that customer base and their large business advertisers so no surprise there. As usual, follow the money to get the real answer.

Doesn't seem altogether fair & unbiased, does it - half of a story or a slanted story rather than the full facts. Dodgy
https://thedailyblog.co.nz/2023/01/27/my...-toxicity/
(27-01-2023, 09:45 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(27-01-2023, 02:22 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Doesn't seem altogether fair & unbiased, does it - half of a story or a slanted story rather than the full facts. Dodgy
https://thedailyblog.co.nz/2023/01/27/my...-toxicity/

Bloody hell - we really desperately need to be teaching every last school child empathy; NOW. That really is disgraceful behaviour. Dodgy
So over the delusional anti farming brigade.
Are people happy paying more for their food?
The only solution to reduce "farts" is to reduce food production. That's a fact.
Our climate policy is in breach of the paris agreement that we signed up to, this is another fact.
It clearly states that any measures taken can't impact food production. Taxing farmers for their animals farts does exactly that. Planting pines on farmland also reduces food production.
Living costs are already high. Blows me away how disconnected people are on how their food comes to the table.
Nothing more than political reasons. The biggest polluters are doing nothing in this area, so why should we?
Our emissions are a drop in the bucket.
That's why I'm going to vote for Democracy NZ
(12-02-2023, 02:03 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: So over the delusional anti farming brigade.
Are people happy paying more for their food?
The only solution to reduce "farts" is to reduce food production. That's a fact.
Our climate policy is in breach of the oasis agreement that we signed up to, this is another fact.
It clearly states that any measures taken can't impact food production. Taxing farmers for their animals farts does exactly that. Planting pines on farmland also reduces food production.
Living costs are already high. Blows me away how disconnected people are on how their food comes to the table.
Nothing more than political reasons. The biggest polluters are doing nothing in this area, so why should we?
Our emissions are a drop in the bucket.
That's why I'm going to vote for Democracy NZ

Oh gee - I dunno...are people 'happy' not having a planet which is livable any more. Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes
Democracy NZ, otherwise known as "The Antivax Aotearoa Party" - every vote for them will just help labour win again, assuming Mr Luxon keeps up his stellar performance of late...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Saw an article the other day about a plantain that can be grown to feed cows which produces less gas. Just like everyone/everything else, R&D is being done on behalf of farmers.

I agree with most of what C_T Russell says, but disagree with his choice of party to support. As well as being fringe and unscientific in its beliefs, we also need a government that knows how to govern and understands that our lives are far more complex than just a few policies that attract those with an axe to grind.
This was a good read.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/farming...ed-the-mos

I've always said farmers need to think outside the box, instead they all jumped on the dairy bandwagon. So many options out there, they just need to do it.

After the maize harvest last year, I saw some strange things growing amongst the newly sown grass, looks like it was plantain, it's obvious now.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(12-02-2023, 05:37 PM)Zurdo Wrote: This was a good read.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/farming...ed-the-mos

I've always said farmers need to think outside the box, instead they all jumped on the dairy bandwagon. So many options out there, they just need to do it.

After the maize harvest last year, I saw some strange things growing amongst the newly sown grass, looks like it was plantain, it's obvious now.
Many of the suggestions made are already part of the Organic farming toolbox. Diverse pasture species, increasing soil humus, minimising emissions, regenerative soil promoting methods, and close connection between producer and consumer is what Organic certification aims to accomplish. Organic certification is an auditable trail of proof to enable consumers to trust the conditions under which their products are produced.

As they say there's nothing new under the sun, it's just a matter of taking best advantage of the factors that nature deals out to you. Conventional farmers are at the mercy of their bank manager and farm advisor so change from the norm often isn't easily done. As usual at the end of the day 'money talks'.
(12-02-2023, 02:13 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Oh gee - I dunno...are people 'happy' not having a planet which is livable any more. Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes
Well animals are nature, the earth looks after animals, whether they are farmed or not. The carbon methane cycle has been on this planet since forever.
Lets address more important issues such as fertilizer, and nitrates etc rather than the actual animals itself.
There is a reason the Paris agreement prohibits policies that affect food production.
Dont let the likes of TESCO hold us to ransom over stupid policies, they will still buy our meat, our grass fed beef and lamb is probably the most environmental and nutritious beef on the planet.

(12-02-2023, 04:05 PM)SueDonim Wrote: Saw an article the other day about a plantain that can be grown to feed cows which produces less gas. Just like everyone/everything else, R&D is being done on behalf of farmers.

I agree with most of what C_T Russell says, but disagree with his choice of party to support. As well as being fringe and unscientific in its beliefs, we also need a government that knows how to govern and understands that our lives are far more complex than just a few policies that attract those with an axe to grind.

Ive attended one of their meetings and met Matt King in person.
I wouldnt consider him an "antivax" person at all, yes alot of his supporters may be in that crowd, but there are also a number of people from all walks of life that have been affected by various policies implemented by this govt.
Ive also attended meetings held by the likes of Tamaki, outdoors party to mention a few, I can truly say there is a totally different atmosphere amongst those other parties compared to Democracy NZ.

Not only was his conduct more professional, but he didnt spout any anti-govt rhetoric or antivax propaganda, etc.
His policy is pretty simple actually, its all about common sense, listening to the people and giving people freedom of choice.
The bill of rights was his main concern, he is really interested in protecting democracy as far as I can tell.
ACT and NZF are the only other parties I would consider voting for, red and blue are out for me and always have been.
Beware ignorant people making decisions about anything.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.“
— Bertrand Russell
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(17-02-2023, 11:23 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(12-02-2023, 02:13 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:   Oh gee - I dunno...are people 'happy' not having a planet which is livable any more. Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes
Well animals are nature, the earth looks after animals, whether they are farmed or not. The carbon methane cycle has been on this planet since forever.
Lets address more important issues such as fertilizer, and nitrates etc rather than the actual animals itself.
There is a reason the Paris agreement prohibits policies that affect food production.
Dont let the likes of TESCO hold us to ransom over stupid policies, they will still buy our meat, our grass fed beef and lamb is probably the most environmental and nutritious beef on the planet.
NZ may have production methods that are less environmentally damaging than other farming countries but we are as remote from most of our potential markets than any country can be so we will always be 'behind the eight ball' in terms of food miles and therefore our advantage will be severely diluted due to that. As the effects of a warming climate make themselves more obvious so will the attitudes of many of our customers harden in respect to their choice of food production and transportation.
(17-02-2023, 01:04 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(17-02-2023, 11:23 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Well animals are nature, the earth looks after animals, whether they are farmed or not. The carbon methane cycle has been on this planet since forever.
NZ may have production methods that are less environmentally damaging than other farming countries but we are as remote from most of our potential markets than any country can be so we will always be 'behind the eight ball' in terms of food miles and therefore our advantage will be severely diluted due to that. As the effects of a warming climate make themselves more obvious so will the attitudes of many of our customers harden in respect to their choice of food production and transportation.
I'm wondering if globalisation is just about out the window by now - as events over the last few years have shown there are a lot of risks to individual economies, maybe too many to warrant the perceived benefits to come from it.
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(17-02-2023, 01:37 PM)king1 Wrote:
(17-02-2023, 01:04 PM)harm_less Wrote: NZ may have production methods that are less environmentally damaging than other farming countries but we are as remote from most of our potential markets than any country can be so we will always be 'behind the eight ball' in terms of food miles and therefore our advantage will be severely diluted due to that. As the effects of a warming climate make themselves more obvious so will the attitudes of many of our customers harden in respect to their choice of food production and transportation.
I'm wondering if globalisation is just about out the window by now - as events over the last few years have shown there are a lot of risks to individual economies, maybe too many to warrant the perceived benefits to come from it.
If globalisation is "out the window", and I don't disagree with that perspective, then where does it put our dairy industry who produce close to 20 times more milk than our own country's consumption?

"New Zealand produces approximately 21 billion litres of milk every year.  That is approximately 3% of the world milk production or a milk volume equivalent for two and a half serves of dairy per day for 90 million people.  Being the world’s 8th largest milk producer with a population of just five million, we export over 95% of the milk produced in New Zealand, to more than 130 different countries worldwide."

And to make it even worse a large percentage is dried as milk powder at great energy cost and minimal added product value. (See my food miles comment earlier). Is it any wonder the discharges and fertiliser runoff from this industry is our largest carbon emitter?