Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cyclone Gabrielle
(13-02-2023, 09:28 PM)Zurdo Wrote: Getting it pretty hard down here, and I thought we were far enough inland for there to be not many problems. A fence has just gone down, and the southerly is driving water under my back door, never seen that before.  The river will max out late tues and wed, hopefully not too much flooding.
here's hoping it doesn't get any worse, hang in there...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Getting strong now in Tauranga, lots of trees being blown over.
Rough night here in Taranaki. Quite a bit of tree damage on our place and power outage first thing but on again now so coffee machine is operational Tongue 

Just 50mm over night despite heavy rain warning. Met Service is still showing gusts over 100km at NP airport which is Bola strength. The odd punch gust now but wind was really going for it around 4:00am. Out with the chainsaw once things settle down.
(14-02-2023, 08:09 AM)harm_less Wrote: Rough night here in Taranaki. Quite a bit of tree damage on our place and power outage first thing but on again now so coffee machine is operational Tongue 

Just 50mm over night despite heavy rain warning. Met Service is still showing gusts over 100km at NP airport which is Bola strength. The odd punch gust now but wind was really going for it around 4:00am. Out with the chainsaw once things settle down.

i live in a converted room in a garage in waitara. last night i bugged out for the couch in the house. still got next to no sleep, ugh. boss and i battled our way to bell block for work only to get sent home 20mins later. bit of damage at work, panels missing.

fire siren has just gone off twice in quick succession.
I stayed up late because I was worried the scoot would suffer again despite my tying it up like a parcel. So by midnight when I finally gave in I fell asleep fast and stayed that way, best night I have had for ages, and the scoot is still wrapped up like a parcel. But it is loud out there, the trees look like galleons on a stormy sea. Fortunately most of them are in excellent condition and unlikely to come down.

Might be a jeans and shirt day though, it still feels cool to me, up here in the City of Sails.
It sort of slowed down around midnight here, and this morning it's totally calm, even the sun is popping out.
Lots of debris and trees on the roads.
im back in winter clothing today, trackies, jersey, socks.
we only had the bins go for a walk last night, so i laid them down and pinned them into a corner this morning. luckily they stayed shut.

seriously considering a walk to the beach car park, just to see how crazy the waves will be, but also keen to stay here where its safe. our home is at no danger from slips or floods.
Here in Hamilton we have been extremely lucky, wind and rain for sure a few trees down but as far as I know there has not been any major destruction. I do feel for everyone that has lost everything and I cant imagine how that would be.
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
(14-02-2023, 10:31 AM)Oldfellah Wrote: Here in Hamilton we have been extremely lucky, wind and rain for sure a few trees down but as far as I know there has not been any major destruction. I do feel for everyone that has lost everything and I cant imagine how that would be.

We really have been very lucky in Hamilton. The wind was scary on Monday night and not knowing how bad it was going to get and what damage it could do, but we had it so much easier than many others. I too, really feel for all who lost so much during this cyclone, it must be devastating. 
It was so good to hear from a family member in Hawkes bay this morning after their power and some phone contact restored.
Christchurch at supper time Wednesday, steady saturating drizzle all day, strong winds overnight, mostly calm now, hope the worst is over for us.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
Hot sunny day, gave the scoot a chance to dry out properly. Might venture further afield tomorrow if the library is open...

Funny thing, our rubbish and recycling collections cancelled and we have to wait for the next cycle. So guess what the streets are full of...

Rolleyes
And now Strong M6.1 Earthquake 50 km north-west of Paraparaumu 7.38 pm. Thank the gods it was not near soggy Gisborne.
Situation is not good in Napier at all.
Quoting a friends Facebook post:

"I just want to put this out there. In Napier there is only one food franchise open Pak n Save they have EFTPOS. The line is horrendous. Almost nothing on the shelves now. Any other place that is miraculously open will take cash only. Remember the freezers and chillers are off now everywhere. So just be aware there are no ATM's or banks. There are no gas stations to fill your car or gas bottles. , And the one gas station open in Greenmeadows BP is for emergency vehicle's only. Communication is next to nothing. I see people crying outside Pak n save because they couldn't ring for a taxi to take them home. Paper bags filled with stores breaking in the rain. I was glad that I had a resource to get them to their destination. Heartbreaking watching these souls struggling. In our household we are fine. I can boil a Billie for my cuppa. We have a decent amount of food. I can handwash the clothes, we have our Xmas lights, candles and torches, cold showers are fine but also very vigilant that we have to watch our output. . And I'm so friggin grateful to have this little communication for now. So if I haven't answered immediately it's up to 2degrees to get us up and running properly."
And people and animals have died during this cyclone. This one in a hundred years storm.

Those of us who have escaped with just inconvenience are very blessed.
"This one in a hundred years storm." - Soon to be every year storms.

Felt that huge earthquake by Kapiti Island near Wellington down here in Chch, a strong slow motion rolling back and forwards, almost felt as if it wasn't happening but the movement in each direction continued for some distance, maybe the longest in terms of distance I have felt. The whole country must have moved back and forward in slow motion.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
I'm extremely grateful not to have felt the quake. It must have just about been the last straw for those up north who are badly affected. Going by footage on TV news things are a mess & will probably take a while to be fixed, which is going to be extremely difficult for all concerned.
I consider myself extremely fortunate.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
It has been a very stressful few years for an awful lot of people, all over the world. I think it helps significantly to acknowledge just how fortunate we are.
(16-02-2023, 01:13 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: It has been a very stressful few years for an awful lot of people, all over the world. I think it helps significantly to acknowledge just how fortunate we are.

Yep - & it wouldn't hurt to understand that we're all just people  & when awful stuff happens we should help each other out as much as we can, because tomorrow or next week it could be us needing help.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I've been keeping an eye open for a site to make cyclone relief donations, but there doesn't seem to be anything set up yet. Does anyone have a link? Civil Defence say that they will be setting something up, but there is nothing on their web site yet.
(16-02-2023, 06:44 PM)Olive Wrote: I've been keeping an eye open for a site to make cyclone relief donations, but there doesn't seem to be anything set up yet.  Does anyone have a link?  Civil Defence say that they will be setting something up, but there is nothing on their web site yet.
This one looks like a worthy recipient. Sam Neill posted it on Twitter and procedes go to Red Cross and Mayoral Relief Funds in affected areas. https://givealittle.co.nz/cause/cyclone-...ty-support