Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Labour scraps biofuel mandate
(17-02-2023, 10:01 AM)dken31 Wrote: Luxon is an absolute gift to Labour/Greens.  He doesn't stand for anything, and instead his campaign strategy seems to consist solely of "anything Labour can do, I can do better".  When pushed on why he thinks the general populace have a hard time relating to/trusting him, his counter is simply that "People can trust me, I'm the sort of person that knows how to get things done". Well OK then, thanks for clearing that up for us...

I say all that as someone that thinks Ardern was terrible for NZ, I strongly disagreed with much of her policy direction and was somewhat relieved that she/Labour were generally pretty useless at actually getting anything done. But if National were vaguely decent, they'd be guaranteed to romp home at the end of the year, whereas I'd now put my money on another term of Labour and genuinely am not sure which option I'd prefer.  National just seem so desperate to not do anything that could make people not like them, that they've forgotten that they actually need to do something to make people like them in the first place.

I dont really want luxon either, but this country needs to move in a new direction.
Perhaps some smaller parties will keep Labour at bay next election, it might be better if we see a govt where Labour and the greens are forced to work with ACT or perhaps NZF, although winston doesnt trust them anymore and I think he said he is refusing to work with them again with the current leadership anyway.
I cant see how ACT would want to work with labour, but depending on the election results, they may be forced to.

Im suspecting that either the likes of Hipkins and the rest of the party were in disagreement with Jacinda and that there was some level of infighting and tension within the party itself, or else they are just trying to save face by getting rid of unpopular policies and it kind of looks like its working.
Winston doesnt trust them and I dont know if I can either, it appears that there is a high level of dishonesty in the party unless the rest of the party has just been forced to support any of these policies, I know it works like this in the National party too.
Winston suspects there will be a snap election when the polls are looking good.
The 2 big dealbreakers for me in labour are three waters and co-governance.
It appears that these policies are just "put aside" or shelved for now, they have not dropped them, but they are not talking about them if you notice.

Either way, im not giving my vote to either of the big parties, they have had decades to prove to us how worthy they are to serve us and they both have miserably failed.
We need a new direction, I like ACT alot, but they are still globalists and have globalist agendas, but what they can bring to the table is a darn sight better than what any past govt has offered.
NZF was still my first choice until Democracy NZ came along, depending on what the polls show before election will be a factor for my vote.
Right now society in this country needs repair on all levels. With the current govt, we have seen a level of division never before experienced. This is going to take time to heal.
The first step is getting the bill of rights written into law and a govt that is prepared to listen to the people.
Thats what democracy is all about. Right now we have a govt that has been doing things that none of us wanted or asked for. Three waters is a classic example.
(17-02-2023, 11:16 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(17-02-2023, 10:01 AM)dken31 Wrote: Luxon is an absolute gift to Labour/Greens.  He doesn't stand for anything, and instead his campaign strategy seems to consist solely of "anything Labour can do, I can do better".  When pushed on why he thinks the general populace have a hard time relating to/trusting him, his counter is simply that "People can trust me, I'm the sort of person that knows how to get things done". Well OK then, thanks for clearing that up for us...

I say all that as someone that thinks Ardern was terrible for NZ, I strongly disagreed with much of her policy direction and was somewhat relieved that she/Labour were generally pretty useless at actually getting anything done. But if National were vaguely decent, they'd be guaranteed to romp home at the end of the year, whereas I'd now put my money on another term of Labour and genuinely am not sure which option I'd prefer.  National just seem so desperate to not do anything that could make people not like them, that they've forgotten that they actually need to do something to make people like them in the first place.

I dont really want luxon either, but this country needs to move in a new direction.
Perhaps some smaller parties will keep Labour at bay next election, it might be better if we see a govt where Labour and the greens are forced to work with ACT or perhaps NZF, although winston doesnt trust them anymore and I think he said he is refusing to work with them again with the current leadership anyway.
I cant see how ACT would want to work with labour, but depending on the election results, they may be forced to.

Im suspecting that either the likes of Hipkins and the rest of the party were in disagreement with Jacinda and that there was some level of infighting and tension within the party itself, or else they are just trying to save face by getting rid of unpopular policies and it kind of looks like its working.
Winston doesnt trust them and I dont know if I can either, it appears that there is a high level of dishonesty in the party unless the rest of the party has just been forced to support any of these policies, I know it works like this in the National party too.
Winston suspects there will be a snap election when the polls are looking good.
The 2 big dealbreakers for me in labour are three waters and co-governance.
It appears that these policies are just "put aside" or shelved for now, they have not dropped them, but they are not talking about them if you notice.

Either way, im not giving my vote to either of the big parties, they have had decades to prove to us how worthy they are to serve us and they both have miserably failed.
We need a new direction, I like ACT alot, but they are still globalists and have globalist agendas, but what they can bring to the table is a darn sight better than what any past govt has offered.
NZF was still my first choice until Democracy NZ came along, depending on what the polls show before election will be a factor for my vote.
Right now society in this country needs repair on all levels. With the current govt, we have seen a level of division never before experienced. This is going to take time to heal.
The first step is getting the bill of rights written into law and a govt that is prepared to listen to the people.
Thats what democracy is all about. Right now we have a govt that has been doing things that none of us wanted or asked for. Three waters is a classic example.

I'm suspecting that Jacinda Adern quit because of all the stupid memes, hate, abuse and misinformation directed at her, by a Minority of Idiots

Quote:"Right now society in this country needs repair on all levels. With the current govt, we have seen a level of division never before experienced. This is going to take time to heal."
And here I was thinking the only division in society was with the minority of conspiracy theorists that have only recently been given a voice, thanks to freedom and democracy I might add

Quote:Right now we have a govt that has been doing things that none of us wanted or asked for. Three waters is a classic example.
"None of us" implies you are speaking for everyone, yet as you mention there is division in the country.  It was certainly not popular enough to move forward with based on polling, but from the polling a lot of people did think it was a good idea - and certainly *something* needs to be done to improve our water infrastructure.
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
The issue of climate change and our efforts in mitigating it will play a huge part in how NZ votes at the end of this year. Gabrielle has just put this front and centre for a large portion of the voting public.
Only trouble is there is nothing to be done about it, it's too late, the time was in the 1970's.

Short term, nothing really changes,

Medium term, we see more evidence of coming catastrophe,

Long term, we do nothing (except token efforts like supermarket bags) because we (us oldies) will soon be gone, and there is nothing to do about it anyway.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(17-02-2023, 01:47 PM)zqwerty Wrote: Only trouble is there is nothing to be done about it, it's too late, the time was in the 1970's.

Short term, nothing really changes,

Medium term, we see more evidence of coming catastrophe,

Long term, we do nothing (except token efforts like supermarket bags) because we (us oldies) will soon be gone, and there is nothing to do about it anyway.

Once there are real world effects of climate change that affect enough of the population then there will be a real mandate to change stuff, and hopefully it won't be too late to salvage something.  Until then we just limp along with the token efforts.  Best you can do when your still fighting the non-believers
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
"Once there are real world effects of climate change that affect enough of the population then there will be a real mandate to change stuff, and hopefully it won't be too late to salvage something.  Until then we just limp along with the token efforts."

LOL we've just had a huge event and many will still deny that anthropomorphic  anthropogenic global warming is the cause.

If every machine was shut off today it will take 200 years before we start to see a downward trend in carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and a warming decrease.  There is a huge lag effect in the system that is why it hasn't been that easy to discern the increases until it's too late.

As I've said before the problem is too many people (population too great), the ongoing events will take care of that; hopefully NZ is a good choice into the future, we will need much better leadership however.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
"Anthropomorphic" ? I don't think that is what you mean. Do you mean anthropogenic?
Yes "anthropogenic" sorry. Been reading about people interpreting dog behavior on Reddit just recently, used the wrong word.