Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Coronation
(01-05-2023, 02:24 PM)Kenj Wrote: Charlie would have liked that! He was a Goon Show fan so is probably like a lot of people from that era. including me. A twisted sense of the ridiculous, Neddy!

"You silly twisted boy, you." - Griptype Thin.
See how quickly the subject got away from the original post subject........ I think Charles would approve?
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
For me, that is one of the signs of a lively and engaged online community. Heavily moderated versions have lots of rules, and conversations are managed rather than allowed to flow and change channels as people find shared points of interest to explore. This being the perfect example. The crowning of a king swings into popular culture and the parallels become clear...

Silly twisted boy indeed.  Big Grin
(02-05-2023, 08:58 PM)Kenj Wrote: With climate change, he's probably still warm

Possibly slightly hazardous to the nasal passages though - although apparently a swipe of Vicks under the nose works wonders if those crime shows are to be believed. Rolleyes Big Grin

Oddly enough I'm presently reading Queen Camilla, Sue Townsend (The diaries of Adrian Mole) & all the royals are living in an exclusion zone while a new Conservative politician is trying to revive the monarchy - not as funny as the Adrian Mole books but more a wry sort of humour, with the queen having a tooth removed with pliers by a backyard dentist.  Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I think its time to ditch the monarchy. We don't need it and it's time NZ stands up on its own two feet.
Interestingly enough, I was reading in the news how Chris Hipkins is even in support of NZ becoming a republic.
(03-05-2023, 12:21 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: I think its time to ditch the monarchy. We don't need it and it's time NZ stands up on its own two feet.
Interestingly enough, I was reading in the news how Chris Hipkins is even in support of NZ becoming a republic.

Lets do a poll on that ...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
I think it may happen eventually but probably not in my lifetime.

I'd be quite pleased though, to get that holiday on mine & Charlie's birthday. Smile
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I am an Elizabethan. Bring on The Republic.
Lilith7I think it may happen eventually but probably not in my lifetime.  I'd be quite pleased though, to get that holiday on mine & Charlie's birthday.    i think events on the world stage may affect that more. 

If Harry is successful in tearing the whole thing down, it might be sooner than we think. 

Oh_hunnihunniI am an Elizabethan. Bring on The Republic.     

Technically NZ still is a republic.
Go down to the national library in Wellington, next to the treaty you will see the NZ declaration of independence (he whakaputanga)

Edit. Something not working right, my quoted posts are broken.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
Nah, we aren't a republic. Yet. Republics do not have Monarchs and we do.
(03-05-2023, 08:24 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Lilith7I think it may happen eventually but probably not in my lifetime.  I'd be quite pleased though, to get that holiday on mine & Charlie's birthday.    i think events on the world stage may affect that more. 

If Harry is successful in tearing the whole thing down, it might be sooner than we think. 

Oh_hunnihunniI am an Elizabethan. Bring on The Republic.     

Technically NZ still is a republic.
Go down to the national library in Wellington, next to the treaty you will see the NZ declaration of independence (he whakaputanga)

Edit. Something not working right, my quoted posts are broken.
Testing quote function.
ETA: Working fine for me. User error on your end?
(03-05-2023, 03:34 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: I think it may happen eventually but probably not in my lifetime.

I'd be quite pleased though, to get that holiday on mine & Charlie's birthday. Smile
testing

(03-05-2023, 05:25 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I am an Elizabethan. Bring on The Republic.

testing
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(03-05-2023, 09:05 PM)king1 Wrote:
(03-05-2023, 03:34 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: I think it may happen eventually but probably not in my lifetime.

testing

(03-05-2023, 05:25 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I am an Elizabethan. Bring on The Republic.

testing

Testing testing... Rolleyes
Watched all the parades and was impressed at how they all marched together to the same beat and you might wonder how they achieved that. Apparently all the bass drummers had the beat playing in their ear so they were all kept in step with each other. Very clever I thought.
Well I spent a late night watching it all.
Definitely well worth watching, having now seen history made.
It was about 71 years since the last one happened, so not much of the world's population is alive who actually witnessed it take place and TV was not widespread at the time either.

But I still think the whole thing is a load of garbage with a bunch of rituals and was a bit disappointing to see the high use of cue cards and scripts essentially being read out, the priest was even pointing things out on the cards for the king to read.
You would think he would have memorized the whole thing given the length of time he has had to practice for this.
Just makes me think what a public spectacle the whole thing is, it's just all made up for show.

I really wonder what the point of the whole thing really serves these days.
It's purely symbolic and nothing more.
The dark history of this monarchy is nothing to be proud of what so ever.
My question is what role does it even serve these days, but more importantly what benefits do you receive from it?
That family lives it up with the good life and a shitload of wealth and money that they have built up over centuries.
And here we see everyone worshipping them like they are something amazing.
I'm surprised it's lasted as long as it has.
Yes its great to see this from purely a historical perspective, but let's not forget that this institution as they call it has been responsible for some of the darkest parts in human history.

(03-05-2023, 09:02 PM)harm_less Wrote: Testing quote function.
ETA: Working fine for me. User error on your end?

No errors as such, but when I click below the quoted post to type a reply, the quoted post vanishes.
I've found a button on the toolbar that gives advanced editing and thus works however as a workaround.
I was told by my army officer Dad that that is why drums were invented, to keep the troops from wandering off...
(07-05-2023, 10:13 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I was told by my army officer Dad that that is why drums were invented, to keep the troops from wandering off...

The King is known to have a sense of humour & I'd flipped onto the channel just  as a chap in a frock (Bishop?) knelt directly in front of the new King & proclaimed  "I, Justin"  ( which must be just a wee bit disconcerting ) & while I might be imaging things, there seemed to be a look in Charlie's eye which indicated that he probably saw the humour in the situation.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
And I thought Roman Catholic masses were long and boring........

What a load of twaddle Sad Sad
(07-05-2023, 05:43 PM)zippity Wrote: And I thought Roman Catholic masses were long and boring........

What a load of twaddle Sad Sad

Hence my seeing just a bit of it - there was no way I'd ever watch the entire thing.
I only came in for a pint of milk Wink