Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
That 30 kph thing...
(11-07-2023, 03:57 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Which works equally for those on foot or on wheels. Like the male ute driver who cut me off in order to swoop on a parking space as I completed crossing on a marked pedestrian crossing. Scared the life out of me, so close I felt the breeze as he passed. When I raised my eyebrows at him as a question he gave me the fingers and said 'Fuck off lady'.

I congratulated myself on not being related to the bastard.

People like him are the problem. Since he already doesn't follow the rules, would a 30kph limit make any difference?

The 40kph works OK passed the school on our street - partly because it is pretty superfluous in the chaos of all the mothers picking up kids that aren't allowed to walk 100m. And partly because it's only in force during the short time it is relevant to the kids arriving or leaving school.

When town centres have a 30 limit, it's also often superfluous when congestion means no one can go that fast anyway, but is pretty pointless after hours when you are the only car on the road.

(11-07-2023, 05:14 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: And most of them have driver licences.

And many of those people with licences should have the licences removed from them.
(11-07-2023, 06:49 PM)SueDonim Wrote:
(11-07-2023, 03:57 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Which works equally for those on foot or on wheels. Like the male ute driver who cut me off in order to swoop on a parking space as I completed crossing on a marked pedestrian crossing. Scared the life out of me, so close I felt the breeze as he passed. When I raised my eyebrows at him as a question he gave me the fingers and said 'Fuck off lady'.

I congratulated myself on not being related to the bastard.

People like him are the problem. Since he already doesn't follow the rules, would a 30kph limit make any difference?

The 40kph works OK passed the school on our street - partly because it is pretty superfluous in the chaos of all the mothers picking up kids that aren't allowed to walk 100m. And partly because it's only in force during the short time it is relevant to the kids arriving or leaving school.

When town centres have a 30 limit, it's also often superfluous when congestion means no one can go that fast anyway, but is pretty pointless after hours when you are the only car on the road.

(11-07-2023, 05:14 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: And most of them have driver licences.

And many of those people with licences should have the licences removed from them.

Yes a 30kph limit in Wellington central is no issue as generally you can't go that fast anyway.  I don't have an issue with banning private cars from Lambton Quay and Willis street as very few private cars use those streets now.   But they want that for ALL Wellington residential streets as well as the Quays - the primary arterial route through the city.

Then there is the cost benefit analysis that was wrong (accidentally?) And now shows that the CBA is almost the same for 50kph.
Are these figures produced by the same folks that do chicken entrail analysis to set out Wgtn's cycle lanes?

Wink
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(11-07-2023, 10:10 PM)R2x1 Wrote: Are these figures produced by the same folks that do chicken entrail analysis to set out Wgtn's cycle lanes?

Wink

The very same
(11-07-2023, 10:12 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(11-07-2023, 10:10 PM)R2x1 Wrote: Are these figures produced by the same folks that do chicken entrail analysis to set out Wgtn's cycle lanes?

Wink

The very same

Good to see they're keeping up standards. (By their standards.)
May we expect a plethora of cones in exciting orange?
Confused
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
They have just put speed bumps up on my street because of boy racers, would have been better to have installed a speed camera! I hate the things.
(12-07-2023, 07:53 AM)R2x1 Wrote:
(11-07-2023, 10:12 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: The very same

Good to see they're keeping up standards. (By their standards.)
May we expect a plethora of cones in exciting orange?
Confused

Now look here - you lot are NOT having our orange cone collection; its taken years to  build that unique (nearly) &  (not even slightly) interesting collection, so just you lot get your own.

Big Grin Rolleyes
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Going by the look of our streets, your collection has missed a few. Wink

I hear a rumor that a knighthood is in the offing for an inspired fanatic in OSH who proposed that any installation of one or more cones should be delineated by an array of cones, which should in turn be . . .

Angry

(12-07-2023, 10:46 AM)nzoomed Wrote: They have just put speed bumps up on my street because of boy racers, would have been better to have installed a speed camera! I hate the things.

They've put up (and down) speed bumps on our footpaths because of idiots in AT who couldn't get wet in a flood.  Sad
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
We are blessed. No speed bumps on our footpaths. Quite the reverse. Some excavations might well qualify as tomos. Makes scooting an adventure...
Our footpath bumps go up and down, the powers that be are a backward lot, unaware if they are coming or going.
We are rather lucky, if they had any brains they would be a menace rather than an infernal nuisance. . Maybe that is why my fibre gets to the home but the box at this end isn't seeing the light.Fibre crushed under the footpath.
Rather fortunately for me, the phone still remembers how to be a hotspot, and the laptop remembers how to find it. I wonder how much data i have left? I haven't been using Google maps on the phone, nor the AT bus app, so that should be safe-ish.

It's all a plot I tell you!, another fortunate circumstance is that I haven't anywhere near exhausted the ale supply, or the wine. I just have to keep both well separated from their use-by dates. SAFETY FIRST! Don't need cones in the fridge.

Wink
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
For goodness' (if there's any left) sake do not let this url reach the department of roads, footpaths and weird random topographical diversions or we are really going to need a lot of cones.

Probably best if bright but curious teenagers are not given peeping rights either.

Wink
Entropy is not what
it used to be.