Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dress length causes rape
Always the victims fault, exact same garbage would be thrown around to child sex abuse victims in the Jehovah's witnesses.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
(23-08-2023, 03:33 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Apparently, some of us still live in the 50s. It seems that short dresses & alcohol can cause rape.
Dodgy Angry

A woman who says she was raped by a taxi driver has been questioned about what she was wearing & how much she'd had to drink. By a female lawyer.

https://www.odt.co.nz/star-news/star-nat...-rape-case

"A woman who says she was kidnapped and raped in Dunedin has faced gruelling cross-examination regarding the length of her dress and the amount of alcohol she consumed.
An unregistered Dunedin taxi driver, who currently has interim name suppression, is accused of indecent assault, kidnapping, rape and two charges of sexual violation by unlawful sexual connection.
The complainant admitted she had been drinking heavily on February 8, 2021, recounting all the alcoholic beverages she consumed, some via beer bong.
"You also had tequila shots didn’t you? Which is throwing back straight alcohol isn’t it ... throwing it down your throat?" Mrs Stevens said.
CCTV images were shown of the woman and her friend eating at McDonald’s, with Mrs Stevens asking if the woman would be exposed when she sat down.
"The dress barely covers your bottom? ... I’m not being critical and I’m not suggesting that anyone could see your bottom, I’m simply exploring."
"It really wasn’t that short," the complainant said.

Mrs Stevens suggested the woman did not have any cash on her at the time of the car ride.
"The fact is you didn’t pay for the fare at all did you?"
The woman who said she was raped and strangled by the driver was clearly upset.
"No. Why would I after that?"

Tracey Ullman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51-hepLP8J4

While her line of questioning may to us be reprehensible the reality is as a defense lawyer it is her job to give her client the best possible defense.  In this case that is casting doubt on the word of the complainant.
Except that that particular line of 'questioning' has been both discredited & disused for some time; since the unfairness of it was more widely discussed.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(27-08-2023, 03:55 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: Except that that particular line of 'questioning' has been both discredited & disused for some time; since the unfairness of it was more widely discussed.

That will be up to the jury to determine - not a couple of message board hand wringers.
Mmmmm.

Like that 16 and 17 year sentencing recently? Bet those two are wringing something.