Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tax cuts or more/better government services
Good structured critique of National's financial policies by James Shaw this morning. A diplomatic way of saying Luxon & Willis are full of shit.
(31-08-2023, 04:43 PM)harm_less Wrote: Good structured critique of National's financial policies by James Shaw this morning. A diplomatic way of saying Luxon & Willis are full of shit.

This from a party whose main tax policy is a wealth tax they will never get.  In fact almost all of their massive spend is meant to be funded by this wealth tax - it seems to be a bottomless supply of money.
Mmmm, except they have costed it out. And had it independently checked. James Shaw is no fool...
just heard on the news, apparently our trade agreement with China does not allow taxing Chinese foreign home buyers any different to NZ home buyers. So I guess that source of funding for Nationals bribe is goneburger...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(31-08-2023, 06:20 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Mmmm, except they have costed it out. And had it independently checked.  James Shaw is no fool...

I wonder how him and Marama really feel when as leaders of their party they never appear on the preferred PM ratings but Chloe does?  Must be quite dejecting.
(31-08-2023, 06:01 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(31-08-2023, 04:43 PM)harm_less Wrote: Good structured critique of National's financial policies by James Shaw this morning. A diplomatic way of saying Luxon & Willis are full of shit.

This from a party whose main tax policy is a wealth tax they will never get.  In fact almost all of their massive spend is meant to be funded by this wealth tax - it seems to be a bottomless supply of money.
The Greens have a multifactorial approach to all of their policies and their economic calculations actually hold water. Not like National whose long standing approach is to sell off anything that isn't tied down in their attempts to balance the books, including restarting fossil fuel exploration and extraction with the planet melting down infront of their eyes.

The Greens' wealth tax addresses an overheated property market, household poverty and infrastructure spending with one relatively simple taxation method. And yes it is essentially a bottomless resource as New Zealand's economy has often been described as a housing market with a few extra bits attached.

As James so succinctly put it National's mantra is along the lines of "never mind about the potholes, here have a tax break".
(31-08-2023, 06:27 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(31-08-2023, 06:20 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Mmmm, except they have costed it out. And had it independently checked.  James Shaw is no fool...

I wonder how him and Marama really feel when as leaders of their party they never appear on the preferred PM ratings but Chloe does?  Must be quite dejecting.

Why? I guess if they were in the job to be popular, rather than lead, that might be so...
(31-08-2023, 06:32 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(31-08-2023, 06:27 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: I wonder how him and Marama really feel when as leaders of their party they never appear on the preferred PM ratings but Chloe does?  Must be quite dejecting.

Why? I guess if they were in the job to be popular, rather than lead, that might be so...

Nah you see it in their faces every time they get asked - especially Davidson.
(31-08-2023, 06:26 PM)king1 Wrote: just heard on the news, apparently our trade agreement with China does not allow taxing Chinese foreign home buyers any different to NZ home buyers.  So I guess that source of funding for Nationals bribe is goneburger...
I heard a similar report and China isn't the only country whose trade agreements prevent their nationals from being taxed in the way National is suggesting. A definite feeling that Luxon & co have taken a brief look at Canadian's non-resident taxation on property and just adopted it without a detailed analysis of how it will work in New Zealand. Policy on the fly as we have come to expect from these tossers.
Get asked what?

This conversation is wandering so far off course...

Both James and Marama wipe the floor with their interviewers when challenged on Green policies. Everytime they are asked any questions they gather more supporters purely on their common sense. I think you are looking for something that you wish was there but isn't.

Btw, did you get the Hipkin's quip about Luxon being the dummy and Willis being the ventriloquist? Belly laugh time. Mind you, it is good to see her - the deputy - instead of that horrid weaselly litte man who is usually hovering at his elbow. Who is that man anyway? Anyone know?
(31-08-2023, 06:46 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Get asked what?

This conversation is wandering so far off course...

Both James and Marama wipe the floor with their interviewers when challenged on Green policies. Everytime they are asked any questions they gather more supporters purely on their common sense. I think you are looking for something that you wish was there but isn't.

Btw, did you get the Hipkin's quip about Luxon being the  dummy and Willis being the ventriloquist? Belly laugh time. Mind you, it is good to see her  - the deputy - instead of that horrid weaselly litte man who is usually hovering at his elbow. Who is that man anyway? Anyone know?

I've wondered that too - he looks every bit of 14 & that constant lurking with the fake smile is really irritating. Not that I'm that keen on Nicola Willis either;something about her reminds me strongly of Ruth Richardson..

Whenever there's an election near I message the grandkids to make sure they're enrolled to vote - the smartarse eldest grandson messaged me back with 'yes gran, my vote is all ACT's!'

Big Grin Big Grin Rolleyes
Told him he should consider himself disowned.

Youngest grandson isn't sure who to vote for so said he should take a look at what they're all saying they'll do, keep in mind they're all lying bastards anyway & try to choose the ones likely to do least harm.
Also told him I'll party vote Green on account of having greatgrandkids who need a planet they can live on, so don't feel I have a choice really.

The world's a weird place. And humans are crazy. Rolleyes
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Remember this National crap from July 1998? Bradford should have been charged with treason and put in an electric chair!
"The Coalition Government's electricity reforms will be remembered by generations of New Zealanders because of the better deal they'll bring for consumers," Energy Minister Max Bradford said today.
Lower prices and a real choice of who supplies your electricity - that's what the Coalition Government's electricity reforms are all about," Mr Bradford said. "This cannot occur without the reforms, whatever others might say."
Their current nonsense will also make a lot of lower income people worse off.
Ps. The first person I voted for was Mabel Howard.
(31-08-2023, 06:27 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:

Quite the sidestep there...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
The grammatical slip did make me wince, but I put it down to a race to distract...
(31-08-2023, 07:31 PM)alpha111 Wrote: Remember this National crap from July 1998?  Bradford should have been charged with treason and put in an electric chair!
"The Coalition Government's electricity reforms will be remembered by generations of New Zealanders because of the better deal they'll bring for consumers," Energy Minister Max Bradford said today.
Lower prices and a real choice of who supplies your electricity - that's what the Coalition Government's electricity reforms are all about," Mr Bradford said. "This cannot occur without the reforms, whatever others might say."
Their current nonsense will also make a lot of lower income people worse off.
Ps. The first person I voted for was Mabel Howard.

Can't agree re the electric chair but perhaps a winter in a cold, uninsulated house on a low income might give him the message.

Neo Liberalism is a divisive, damaging system which needs to be removed - hopefully, as swiftly as it was imposed.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)