Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Democracy has spoken
(15-10-2023, 10:16 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: For some unfathomable reason NZ has elected a party led by a wealthy evangelical fundamentalist christian.  If nothing else, it should prove interesting, if extremely difficult for those on low incomes.
And while it was good to see Winnie pop up yet again after his customary almost three year snooze, I sincerely hope he's not needed.

I don't think Luxon is particularly wealthy and my biggest concern about him is that he has very little to show for the years of very high income. He should have have gained more wealth than a few properties, unless he has huge amounts of money in the various super funds he has declared. If that's the case, then he is extremely financially conservative (or ignorant - which is an even bigger concern).

I fear any extreme christian in a position of power, but so far he seems to be handling the conflict of interest well. It's not down to "who" people are personally, but how they handle fitting in with the requirements of their position. 

For both aspects, he's the leader of a democratically run political party, not a dictator. He has to do what the party votes, not what he wants.

The poor have had a very hard time within and because of Labour's policies. There is every chance that things will now improve for everyone. The morning after the election I felt a deep sense of relief that we can now all move forward again.
"The morning after the election I felt a deep sense of relief that we can now all move forward again."

Funny thing is I felt just the opposite knowing that with a National Government the poor will once again lose money-wise as National appeases businessmen as usual.

Fixed income beneficiaries will also pay the price until Labour is back in power again.

What short memories people in NZ have.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(17-10-2023, 09:13 AM)SueDonim Wrote:
(15-10-2023, 10:16 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: For some unfathomable reason NZ has elected a party led by a wealthy evangelical fundamentalist christian.  If nothing else, it should prove interesting, if extremely difficult for those on low incomes.
And while it was good to see Winnie pop up yet again after his customary almost three year snooze, I sincerely hope he's not needed.

I don't think Luxon is particularly wealthy and my biggest concern about him is that he has very little to show for the years of very high income. He should have have gained more wealth than a few properties, unless he has huge amounts of money in the various super funds he has declared. If that's the case, then he is extremely financially conservative (or ignorant - which is an even bigger concern).

I fear any extreme christian in a position of power, but so far he seems to be handling the conflict of interest well. It's not down to "who" people are personally, but how they handle fitting in with the requirements of their position. 

For both aspects, he's the leader of a democratically run political party, not a dictator. He has to do what the party votes, not what he wants.

The poor have had a very hard time within and because of Labour's policies. There is every chance that things will now improve for everyone. The morning after the election I felt a deep sense of relief that we can now all move forward again.

The point is not how much wealth he has; its his attitude to wealth. Personally I find it impossible to comprehend how anyone in constant pursuit of a wealthy lifestyle can in all truth call themselves a Christian; their god was not a wealthy person according to their book, & didn't pursue wealth, instead spending time with those not overburdened with wealth. 
The constant pursuit of wealth seems to have an unhealthy aspect to it, at least these days.

The poor in this country have a very hard time due not to the policies of just one govt but to 40 odd years of greed based Neo Liberalism, practised by both Labour & National, imposed without consultation or warning.
THAT is what needs removing, & what will now be continued for at least three years & if ACT/National run true to far right form, then conditions will worsen significantly for those worst off, because poor bashing is what they do.

There is NO chance whatsoever that anything will improve for those already struggling. There will be no relief; National has already said its going to remove cost of living rises for those on benefits ( how the devil that could 'help' anyone is beyond belief) & they've also said they'll 'crack down' on beneficiaries. They clearly have zero intention of helping those worst off, & instead seem to want to make conditions even more difficult.
 Rather than a 'deep sense of relief' instead I have a deep sense of foreboding because experience makes it obvious that things will get very much worse.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(17-10-2023, 11:10 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: ..

The point is not how much wealth he has; its his attitude to wealth. Personally I find it impossible to comprehend how anyone in constant pursuit of a wealthy lifestyle can in all truth call themselves a Christian; their god was not a wealthy person according to their book, & didn't pursue wealth, instead spending time with those not overburdened with wealth. 
The constant pursuit of wealth seems to have an unhealthy aspect to it, at least these days.

The poor in this country have a very hard time due not to the policies of just one govt but to 40 odd years of greed based Neo Liberalism, practised by both Labour & National, imposed without consultation or warning.
THAT is what needs removing, & what will now be continued for at least three years & if ACT/National run true to far right form, then conditions will worsen significantly for those worst off, because poor bashing is what they do.

There is NO chance whatsoever that anything will improve for those already struggling. There will be no relief; National has already said its going to remove cost of living rises for those on benefits ( how the devil that could 'help' anyone is beyond belief) & they've also said they'll 'crack down' on beneficiaries. They clearly have zero intention of helping those worst off, & instead seem to want to make conditions even more difficult.
 Rather than a 'deep sense of relief' instead I have a deep sense of foreboding because experience makes it obvious that things will get very much worse.

My thoughts entirely.  Thanks you Lilith for expressing this so well.
Quote: "The morning after the election I felt a deep sense of relief that we can now all move forward again. "
Nicely spotted. It is surprisingly easy to go forward if you're aiming to head downhill.
Entropy is not what
it used to be.
(17-10-2023, 01:56 PM)R2x1 Wrote:
Quote: "The morning after the election I felt a deep sense of relief that we can now all move forward again. "
Nicely spotted.  It is surprisingly easy to go forward if you're aiming to head downhill.

Its that sense of humour which helps us all survive the bleakest moments, well said R2x1! Big Grin Big Grin

(17-10-2023, 11:40 AM)Olive Wrote:
(17-10-2023, 11:10 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: ..

My thoughts entirely.  Thanks you Lilith for expressing this so well.

I think there are a few people very concerned at the future possibilities now, particularly if ACT is involved. I suspect that any tiny advantages made for Maori may be out the window fairly swiftly, probably claiming 'equality' while ignoring reality.

Mind you had Labour got off its bum earlier & removed Neo Liberalism, we might not now be in such a mess. 
Ah well, c'est la vie. Dammit.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Im feeling much better about Luxon and feel he is genuine enough that he wants to bring about some form of unity and undo all the division this country faces.
Why is wealth even a factor whether he is suitable? Should you not be happy if he is not some ultra wealthy elite?

Im hoping here that the special votes give us another left leaning seat or two away from national so that they are forced to work with NZF, but either way, I feel that Luxon doesnt want to burn bridges with NZF/Winston and will likely involve them no matter what. If National/ACT can govern alone, he still will want them on his side to work on issues that they have common ground with.
Sick of all the winston bashing the media give.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
(19-10-2023, 10:35 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Im feeling much better about Luxon and feel he is genuine enough that he wants to bring about some form of unity and undo all the division this country faces.
Why is wealth even a factor whether he is suitable? Should you not be happy if he is not some ultra wealthy elite?

Im hoping here that the special votes give us another left leaning seat or two away from national so that they are forced to work with NZF, but either way, I feel that Luxon doesnt want to burn bridges with NZF/Winston and will likely involve them no matter what. If National/ACT can govern alone, he still will want them on his side to work on issues that they have common ground with.
Sick of all the winston bashing the media give.

Winston is a nightmare for any party to work with & if Luxon is obliged to work with him then its likely Winnie will run rings around him.
I felt he worked pretty well with Jacinda.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
(19-10-2023, 11:33 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: I felt he worked pretty well with Jacinda.
Chris Hipkins obviously doesn't share your view judging by his flat refusal and reasoning for not considering working with Winston.
(19-10-2023, 11:46 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(19-10-2023, 11:33 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: I felt he worked pretty well with Jacinda.
Chris Hipkins obviously doesn't share your view judging by his flat refusal and reasoning for not considering working with Winston.

There was a cartoon in this morning's Star, a jar labelled National/Act ointment, with a fly with Winston's face peeping out the top... Big Grin Big Grin