Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kingitanga hui
(22-01-2024, 10:22 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(22-01-2024, 09:08 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: So you are talking about coup?  The forced removal of a legitimate government by civil unrest?
You obviously view our times through a much darker lens than most.

Have you already forgotten the events that our previous government navigated during their time in power without dissolving into choas? A major terrorist attack (Christchurch mosque shootings), a tourist disaster (White Island eruption), an worldwide pandemic (COVID19), numerous climatic disasters (Auckland, Cyclones Gabrielle & Hale), and an increasing level of personal threats to its MPs, but still we came out of that government's period of leadership with one of the strongest economic position in the OECD.

My inclusion of NAF's Treaty of Waitangi approach was to highlight the fact that they are adding to the potential shitstorms that they may (will) need to navigate through during their current term by way of their own actions. We are already witnessing a divergence of public support of them and as yet they have done little more than slash and burn existing policies. Once they start introducing whatever.   patchwork of money raising schemes to address the income streams they are dismantling things will get pretty toxic in our corner of the South Pacific. International instability due to the current conflicts together with the likelihood of another Trump presidency just fuels that potential fire even more. Add a natural disaster or two and another pandemic and this coalition of narcissistic clowns will fly apart in a shower of shit.
When it comes to the previous government I try to put them out of my mind as much as possible.

As for the impact this may have?  Well last poll out had a big jump for both National and Act.  Labour about the same but a big drop for the Greans, NZ first and TPM.  The Greens recent debacle wasn't included in those numbers either.

But as already stated Nationall won't support the bill beyond first reading and select committee.  It will die a death.

Why are so many against there being a real discussion around the Treaty?
(22-01-2024, 10:22 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(22-01-2024, 09:08 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: So you are talking about coup?  The forced removal of a legitimate government by civil unrest?
You obviously view our times through a much darker lens than most.

Have you already forgotten the events that our previous government navigated during their time in power without dissolving into choas? A major terrorist attack (Christchurch mosque shootings), a tourist disaster (White Island eruption), an worldwide pandemic (COVID19), numerous climatic disasters (Auckland, Cyclones Gabrielle & Hale), and an increasing level of personal threats to its MPs, but still we came out of that government's period of leadership with one of the strongest economic position in the OECD.

My inclusion of NAF's Treaty of Waitangi approach was to highlight the fact that they are adding to the potential shitstorms that they may (will) need to navigate through during their current term by way of their own actions. We are already witnessing a divergence of public support of them and as yet they have done little more than slash and burn existing policies. Once they start introducing whatever patchwork of money raising schemes to address the income streams they are dismantling things will get pretty toxic in our corner of the South Pacific. International instability due to the current conflicts together with the likelihood of another Trump presidency just fuels that potential fire even more. Add a natural disaster or two and another pandemic and this coalition of narcissistic clowns will fly apart in a shower of shit.

I'm not at all sure this govt would be able to cope with another natural disaster; they're surely not easy for any govt & this being a coalition wouldn't make things any easier. It seems unlikely the ACT party would be in favour of helping to any great extent & might drag the chain if they think they can.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(22-01-2024, 10:35 AM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(22-01-2024, 10:22 AM)harm_less Wrote: You obviously view our times through a much darker lens than most.

My inclusion of NAF's Treaty of Waitangi approach was to highlight the fact that they are adding to the potential shitstorms that they may (will) need to navigate through during their current term by way of their own actions. We are already witnessing a divergence of public support of them and as yet they have done little more than slash and burn existing policies. Once they start introducing whatever patchwork of money raising schemes to address the income streams they are dismantling things will get pretty toxic in our corner of the South Pacific. International instability due to the current conflicts together with the likelihood of another Trump presidency just fuels that potential fire even more. Add a natural disaster or two and another pandemic and this coalition of narcissistic clowns will fly apart in a shower of shit.

I'm not at all sure this govt would be able to cope with another natural disaster; they're surely not easy for any govt & this being a coalition wouldn't make things any easier. It seems unlikely the ACT party would be in favour of helping to any great extent & might drag the chain if they think they can.

And you have based this assessment on......?
(22-01-2024, 10:53 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(22-01-2024, 10:35 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: I'm not at all sure this govt would be able to cope with another natural disaster; they're surely not easy for any govt & this being a coalition wouldn't make things any easier. It seems unlikely the ACT party would be in favour of helping to any great extent & might drag the chain if they think they can.

Their demonstration of self interest and prioritising economic returns by ACT is very evident. Also the 'cooker' attitude of Winston will hinder any humanitarian aid provided, particularly when another pandemic rears its head.
(22-01-2024, 11:05 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(22-01-2024, 10:53 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: And you have based this assessment on......?
Their demonstration of self interest and prioritising economic returns by ACT is very evident. Also the 'cooker' attitude of Winston will hinder any humanitarian aid provided, particularly when another pandemic rears its head.

Highly unlikely that there will be another pandemic in the next decade like Covid.  Likely longer.

And hard to judge Act on something they haven't done yet.  Haven't even said they would do.

Just did a quick search around Hawkes Bay disaster:

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/485...d-recovery

Seems Act wants to push for quicker recovery in the area.
There is another pandemic wave underway right now. And the government is looking at removing free test kits for the most vulnerable.

What does that tell us?
(22-01-2024, 11:22 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: There is another pandemic wave underway right now. And the government is looking at removing free test kits for the most vulnerable.

What does that tell us?

Covid is now endemic.  The vast majority of people have had it.  If you haven't then you will get it eventually. 

The last government wasted $250million for rats that expired and needed to be disposed of.
(22-01-2024, 11:08 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Just did a quick search around Hawkes Bay disaster:

"These include making it easier to access finance with a wider exemption from the Credit Contracts and Consumer Finance Act and passing special legislation to remove RMA barriers to rebuilding and repairing.

Act also wants it easier for migrants to get visas if they are seeking work in the zone, a Materials Equivalence Register, a regional exemption from Fair Pay Agreements, streamlined foreign investment and introducing private insurance as an alternative to council consenting processes."

That piece reads like them using the situation as a vehicle to push through their policies using the event to their own advantage, or maybe I just have a suspicious attitude regarding 'gift horses'.
(22-01-2024, 11:42 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(22-01-2024, 11:08 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Just did a quick search around Hawkes Bay disaster:

"These include making it easier to access finance with a wider exemption from the Credit Contracts and Consumer Finance Act and passing special legislation to remove RMA barriers to rebuilding and repairing.

Act also wants it easier for migrants to get visas if they are seeking work in the zone, a Materials Equivalence Register, a regional exemption from Fair Pay Agreements, streamlined foreign investment and introducing private insurance as an alternative to council consenting processes."

That piece reads like them using the situation as a vehicle to push through their policies using the event to their own advantage, or maybe I just have a suspicious attitude regarding 'gift horses'.
Could be - but they do want to make things better, quicker.  Because the faster an area recovers from a disaster the better it is for everyone.
Yes. Unfortunately recovery takes investment, expertise, labour, and a great deal of time...
We dodged a bullet with covid - but the next virus which takes off could have a far worse fatality rate. Have we learned the lessons covid was teaching us? I don't think so.
I do have other cameras!
(22-01-2024, 10:53 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(22-01-2024, 10:35 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: I'm not at all sure this govt would be able to cope with another natural disaster; they're surely not easy for any govt & this being a coalition wouldn't make things any easier. It seems unlikely the ACT party would be in favour of helping to any great extent & might drag the chain if they think they can.

Perhaps I've somehow missed Neo Liberals suddenly developing understanding, empathy & compassion & gaily tossing their beloved 'personal responsibility' out the window....??   Rolleyes

These are people keen on the 'every man for himself & devil take the hindmost' mindset, not generally noted for being swift to help others, & in addition this is a coalition govt which may well mean that decisions could take time, when what's needed in a natural disaster is often a speedy response.

But in the event, I'd be extremely pleased to be proven wrong.

(22-01-2024, 11:22 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: There is another pandemic wave underway right now. And the government is looking at removing free test kits for the most vulnerable.

What does that tell us?

I may be wrong - but I'm fairly sure that no one can answer that without swearing profusely.... Rolleyes Big Grin Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(22-01-2024, 11:08 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(22-01-2024, 11:05 AM)harm_less Wrote: Their demonstration of self interest and prioritising economic returns by ACT is very evident. Also the 'cooker' attitude of Winston will hinder any humanitarian aid provided, particularly when another pandemic rears its head.

Highly unlikely that there will be another pandemic in the next decade like Covid.  Likely longer.
We as a species are still dabbling with infectious diseases in laboratories controlled by corporations and governments with questionable intents, huge numbers of us live in crowded cities that are prime for the spread of pathogens, we are again travelling the globe rapidly in airliners than enables pathogenic organisms to spread very effectively, many nations contain populations that live in close contact with livestock and/or harvest wild animals to supplement their impoverished diets, many developed countries consume highly processed foods including from risky production chains that include intensive livestock containment systems with human populations with extremely compromised levels of health as a result, climate change is unbalancing the existing climatic zones that have previosly held disease vectors such as mosquito populations in check and scientific control measures for diseases are increasingly being questioned if not flatly denied by poorly informed individuals and even politicians on conspiracy theory or political bases.

But the likelihood of another pandemic in the near future is highly unlikely? Hope you're right but I have grave doubts about that. We don't seemed to have learned anything from the bullet we dodged with COVID.
(22-01-2024, 05:44 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(22-01-2024, 11:08 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Highly unlikely that there will be another pandemic in the next decade like Covid.  Likely longer.
We as a species are still dabbling with infectious diseases in laboratories controlled by corporations and governments with questionable intents, huge numbers of us live in crowded cities that are prime for the spread of pathogens, we are again travelling the globe rapidly in airliners than enables pathogenic organisms to spread very effectively, many nations contain populations that live in close contact with livestock and/or harvest wild animals to supplement their impoverished diets, many developed countries consume highly processed foods including from risky production chains that include intensive livestock containment systems with human populations with extremely compromised levels of health as a result, climate change is unbalancing the existing climatic zones that have previosly held disease vectors such as mosquito populations in check and scientific control measures for diseases are increasingly being questioned if not flatly denied by poorly informed individuals and even politicians on conspiracy theory or political bases.

But the likelihood of another pandemic in the near future is highly unlikely? Hope you're right but I have grave doubts about that. We don't seemed to have learned anything from the bullet we dodged with COVID.

I hope you're wrong but it seems our species is slow at learning lessons, whether that's about pandemics or cleaning up the mess we've made of our planet.