Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Treaty Principals Bill
(10-03-2024, 03:17 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: The Chris Bishop interview on Q& A this morning was illuminating. Very defensive he was. Aggressively so...

I think the depth of opposition they're going to face, and the flakiness of their supporters, is dawning on the wallies.
I do have other cameras!
And especially interesting, now that Chloe is co leader. And I see the idiot Seymour was saying that 'she'll have to do better than soundbites'...
Mind you, farmers are happy. Unless they happen to be farmers with a few clues about environment.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(10-03-2024, 03:41 PM)Praktica Wrote:
(10-03-2024, 03:17 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: The Chris Bishop interview on Q& A this morning was illuminating. Very defensive he was. Aggressively so...

I think the depth of opposition they're going to face, and the flakiness of their supporters, is dawning on the wallies.

So everyone can decide for themselves, this morning's Q&A interview

Spoiler alert the guy is a complete arsehole and anyone with environmental concerns should be very worried about this policy.
(10-03-2024, 08:50 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(10-03-2024, 03:41 PM)Praktica Wrote: I think the depth of opposition they're going to face, and the flakiness of their supporters, is dawning on the wallies.

So everyone can decide for themselves, this morning's Q&A interview

Spoiler alert the guy is a complete arsehole and anyone with environmental concerns should be very worried about this policy.

Perhaps the housing situation wouldn't be quite as horrifically bad as it is, had an earlier govt NOT sold off so many state houses.*

*Not a Labour or Green govt...

I think their 'scrutiny' will be their means of removing people in need from any housing list. They'll claim that 'its their own fault' when chucking people off their list for help

"A group of people" has a nasty ring to it - handy things, scapegoat groups.
What a bunch of utter bastards they are.

These people simply do not care - either about people or the environment. And very clearly they have no consideration whatsoever for the world their descendants will be living in. Dodgy
Lobbying should be made illegal.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(11-03-2024, 11:08 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: Lobbying should be made illegal.
Notice that Bishop muddied the water by claiming that the likes of Greenpeace are lobbyists Dodgy
(11-03-2024, 12:26 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(11-03-2024, 11:08 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: Lobbying should be made illegal.
Notice that Bishop muddied the water by claiming that the likes of Greenpeace are lobbyists Dodgy

Well, of course he did. 

The right are very keen to portray Greenpeace as anything which suits the neoliberal agenda, because for decades now Greenpeace have been pointing out some glaring wrongs within our world & they don't much like that.  Dodgy
(10-03-2024, 02:20 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: How exactly did Labour 'rewrite the treaty?'
Im going round in circles, Jeffery Palmer added the principals in 1989, look it up. Thats all Act want to do is to remove them because they were never there to begin with.

(10-03-2024, 03:15 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Well to be fair the Treaty has been redefined by politicians , beauracrats and Iwi many times over the last 170plus years.
Damn right it has!
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
(11-03-2024, 11:18 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(10-03-2024, 02:20 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: How exactly did Labour 'rewrite the treaty?'
Im going round in circles, Jeffery Palmer added the principals in 1989, look it up. Thats all Act want to do is to remove them because they were never there to begin with.

(10-03-2024, 03:15 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Well to be fair the Treaty has been redefined by politicians , beauracrats and Iwi many times over the last 170plus years.
Damn right it has!

https://teara.govt.nz/en/principles-of-t...ngi/page-5

"In 1989 the fourth Labour government became the first New Zealand government to set out principles to guide its actions on matters relating to the treaty.

These principles were:
  • The government has the right to govern and make laws.
  • Iwi have the right to organise as iwi, and, under the law, to control their resources as their own.
  • All New Zealanders are equal before the law.
Both the government and iwi are obliged to accord each other reasonable cooperation on major issues of common concern.
[*]The government is responsible for providing effective processes for the resolution of grievances in the expectation that reconciliation can occur.
No later government had defined any new treaty principles, although some (like the National government in 1991) have reflected on the 1989 principles.

In 2006 the New Zealand First party introduced the Principles of the Treaty of Waitangi Deletion Bill. The bill sought ‘to correct an anomaly that has harmed race relations in New Zealand since 1986 when the vague term “the principles of the Treaty of Waitangi” was included in legislation.’ This bill was defeated and references to treaty principles remain in New Zealand law. The Waitangi Tribunal and the courts continue to define the principles of the Treaty of Waitangi.

On the other hand, some people believe that the idea of treaty principles does not go far enough and is an obstacle to Māori exercising tino rangatiratanga in a meaningful way."
(11-03-2024, 11:18 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:

Damn right it has!
Te Tiriti o Waitangi is a living document (Section 4.1) whereby it's intended to be revised over time to remain relevant to current, and future, societal norms. During the course of 170 years much of the social landscape and way New Zealanders go about their lives has changed hugely so the Treaty must adapt to remain relevant.

As someone who is all too embracing of the change of a term's meaning from the past tense of ceasing to sleep to the same word now frequently being used as a denigrating reference towards those who are mindful of social fairness I would have thought that adaption to current circumstances would be an easy concept for you to appreciate.
"As someone who is all too embracing of the change of a term's meaning from the past tense of ceasing to sleep to the same word now frequently being used as a denigrating reference towards those who are mindful of social fairness I would have thought that adaption to current circumstances would be an easy concept for you to appreciate."

Beautiful!
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche