Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accelerated axing of Maori health blindsides campaigners
And I take issue with the idea more than half voted for that lot.

78% turned out to vote. Of that 43% voted Nat, insufficient to form a government requiring the three way handshake with ACT and NZ F which got tiny percentages, but just enough.

Do the arithmetic. That's around a third of the possible votes. Not half..

The fact is this is a minority government. Dangerous ground to rely upon.
(06-03-2024, 12:09 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(06-03-2024, 10:58 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: 'Democracy in action' my nether regions.

This govt. is doing their best to destroy any chance Maori have to reach a stage of equity with everyone else, particularly with regard to health.

More than half of NZ voted for this govt and this govt also has a record number of maori ministers.

And quite a number also didn't bother to vote in the last election...

(06-03-2024, 12:25 PM)king1 Wrote:
(06-03-2024, 12:09 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: More than half of NZ voted for this govt and this govt also has a record number of maori ministers.

I'm not sure too many of those maori ministers are there to represent Maori interests...

That, or they do an excellent imitation of not being there to represent Maori Interests....
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
22% didn't bother. Almost a quarter.

And of those who did? Most were our age. Shouldn't call us the Silent generation, or the Boomers. Call us the socially responsible, lol...
(06-03-2024, 09:12 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: 22% didn't bother. Almost a quarter.

And of those who did? Most were our age. Shouldn't call us the Silent generation, or the Boomers. Call us the socially responsible, lol...

Indeed, they should - after all,it was our generation who saw for the first time, a clear picture of Earth, & understood that we're really all one, despite our differences, & set about trying to change things for the better.
And even now, we're still battling against the greeders who would have our species destroy the planet in the name of profit. For the few... Dodgy
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(06-03-2024, 06:14 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(06-03-2024, 12:09 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: More than half of NZ voted for this govt and this govt also has a record number of maori ministers.

And quite a number also didn't bother to vote in the last election...

(06-03-2024, 12:25 PM)king1 Wrote: I'm not sure too many of those maori ministers are there to represent Maori interests...

That, or they do an excellent imitation of not being there to represent Maori Interests....
They don't represent "elite" maori interests.
The question needs to be asked what the iwi are doing with all the money they have been given and their vast amount of wealth they have generated.
There appears to be little or none of it given back to maori.
They have billions they could spend on housing among other things that would benefit themm
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
(08-03-2024, 11:28 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(06-03-2024, 06:14 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: And quite a number also didn't bother to vote in the last election...

The question needs to be asked what the iwi are doing with all the money they have been given and their vast amount of wealth they have generated.

No it doesn't - What they do with there money is nothing to do with anyone once the settlements are paid out.
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Maori built housing for Maori.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/in-depth/4681...eir-whenua

"The dream lives above Ōkahu Bay, on the shores of the Waitematā Harbour. Up the winding hill and through the wooden gates a community lives collectively, Ōrākei Marae at its centre. From the street you can hear nannies chasing after their mokopuna, as well-fed dogs bark at each other. There's uninterrupted multi-million-dollar views of Auckland city, Sky Tower and all, but most importantly, there's 10 purpose-built whare for kaumatua.
This is the dream realised for Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei (after the nightmare of seeing their people evicted from the land and their houses burnt down in 1952), but for most iwi it's a mirage. Even if they managed to hold onto some of their land, through confiscations and war, or succeed in having their ancestral whenua returned, the odds are stacked against them being able to build a single house upon it, let alone a papakāinga like this one.

Look at those two-bedroom houses, all black bricks and red roofs with solar panels, less than a 200-metre walk from the marae and designed specifically for kaumatua needs.

If it works so well, why aren't papakāinga (intergenerational communal housing on Māori ancestral land) springing up across the country? They remain few and far between, even as statistics show the housing crisis badly impacting Māori.  Scroll through the Facebook group 'Papakāinga - resources for getting whare on the whenua for whānau' and you quickly realise there are a lot of Māori who want their own houses on their own land, but, they say, the systems are stacked against them.

Take the banks - it's far more difficult to get a loan to build on whenua Māori, than to get an individual mortgage.

What stops banks from lending? Māori land can't be easily sold as it is owned by multiple people and protected from being taken from Māori ownership under the Te Ture Whenua Act 1993. That means the land can't be used as security for a mortgage, as it is with other mortgages. Some banks told RNZ they lend for buildings on whenua Māori on a case-by-case basis, but all acknowledged it was challenging and complex for them to do so.

Wayne Knox (Waikato Tainui), the general manager of Māori housing advocacy group Te Matapihi, says there are a number of "bugs" in the design of the Kāinga Whenua loan. As well as having to build on removable piles, he believes the application process is too stringent.
"It's one of those 'death by a thousand cuts' kind of things where there's all these little things, they just add up, which make it a lot harder than a standard mortgage product to be able to access."
In the 12 years since the loan scheme was launched, only 70 loans have been issued, 53 of those in the past five years.
He says the low uptake does not reflect a lack of interest but that the requirements are too challenging for many Māori.

They are even more difficult for Māori with low-household incomes, he says.
"Even accessing a standard mortgage product is hard for many of our whānau."
While there are some government grants available for papakāinga, it's often not enough to help whānau living on very little, like many in Northland, he says.
"That's one of the reasons why we haven't seen a lot of papakāinga development in the North for example, because whānau don't have the income to service a mortgage, " Knox says."
(08-03-2024, 12:28 PM)king1 Wrote:
(08-03-2024, 11:28 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: The question needs to be asked what the iwi are doing with all the money they have been given and their vast amount of wealth they have generated.

No it doesn't - What they do with there money is nothing to do with anyone once the settlements are paid out.
Bullshit.
These iwi are multi billion dollar corporations and get a ton of perks.
Ngai Tahu got the shot shotover jet as a treaty settlement.
How does that work?

On another note, I was speaking to an ex gang leader who has written a book about his life.
He thinks this govt is doing a great job for Maori and loves winston.

Don't listen to all the woke crap on our TV, they are only telling you their agenda.

If the media actually interviewed these people and presented the other side of the story, we would be in a far better place.
Well, media won't be interviewing anybody soon enough, if the current trend continues.

Winston will hate that.
(10-03-2024, 10:36 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(08-03-2024, 12:28 PM)king1 Wrote: No it doesn't - What they do with there money is nothing to do with anyone once the settlements are paid out.
Bullshit.
How does that work?

It's real simple CT, it's called a negotiated settlement. It's now their money not the Crowns, not New Zealand's.  Theirs to do whatever their elected/chosen leaders deem fit, as long as they stick within the law.  What they do with their money is nothing to do with anyone else.

Good job I say, they asked for it.
But don't worry, because we have independent media such as the platform and reality check radio.
(10-03-2024, 11:17 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Well, media won't be interviewing anybody soon enough, if the current trend continues.

Winston will hate that.
(10-03-2024, 10:36 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(08-03-2024, 12:28 PM)king1 Wrote: No it doesn't - What they do with there money is nothing to do with anyone once the settlements are paid out.
Bullshit.
How does that work?

On another note, I was speaking to an ex gang leader who has written a book about his life.

Don't listen to all the woke crap on our TV, they are only telling you their agenda.

If the media actually interviewed these people and presented the other side of the story, we would be in a far better place.
I'm probably pissing in the wind here but once again, what is your definition of 'woke'? You know the term that RWNJs spread around with gay abandon.
(10-03-2024, 12:38 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Good job I say, they asked for it.
But don't worry, because we have independent media such as the platform and reality check radio.
(10-03-2024, 11:17 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Well, media won't be interviewing anybody soon enough, if the current trend continues.

Winston will hate that.

Don't you get tired of parading your ignorance?
I do have other cameras!
(10-03-2024, 01:02 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(10-03-2024, 10:36 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Bullshit.
How does that work?

I'm probably pissing in the wind here but once again, what is your definition of 'woke'? You know the term that RWNJs spread around with gay abandon.

It's a broad term used for anything, particularly around undoing anything deemed offensive when in reality it's not.
It's like they are trying to create a problem that was never there.
In other words, political correctness on steroids.
That's why Eskimo pies and Eskimo lollies are no longer a thing.
One reason Elon Musk bought twitter was to take this on.
i'd like to ban "woke", it might encourage folks to elaborate with meaningful words a little more...

The platform???

Sean Plunkett, well known CTer???

https://thespinoff.co.nz/business/11-02-...ia-company

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programme...spiracists
"The Platform host Rodney Hide put his cards on the table before an interview with Alia Bland, revealing himself to be a membe"r of her group. 
“I am a very very very proud member of Voices For Freedom," he said. "This is my disclosure. I'm not having someone along that I'm neutral about. I am a fan of Voices For Freedom."
After his interview with the well-known Facebook anti-vaxxer Chantelle Baker, Plunket was so moved that he even offered her a show.
"Do you want a weekly show on The Platform?" he asked. "I would be happy to have you on board on the strength of the open conversation we've had today."
(10-03-2024, 01:33 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(10-03-2024, 01:02 PM)harm_less Wrote: I'm probably pissing in the wind here but once again, what is your definition of 'woke'? You know the term that RWNJs spread around with gay abandon.

It's a broad term used for anything, particularly around undoing anything deemed offensive when in reality it's not.
It's like they are trying to create a problem that was never there.
In other words, political correctness on steroids.
That's why Eskimo pies and Eskimo lollies are no longer a thing.
One reason Elon Musk bought twitter was to take this on.

Your definition makes it sound like almost every blurt from all your favourite rightwing idiots!
I do have other cameras!
(10-03-2024, 01:33 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: It's a broad term used for anything,

This is what I don't understand...like, anything can be woke if you call it woke...and that's what makes it woke...?
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
Wouldn't that mean though, that anyone not 'woke' is therefore soundly sleeping...??

And therefore, oblivious to what might really be happening....?
(10-03-2024, 03:12 PM)Zurdo Wrote:
(10-03-2024, 01:33 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: It's a broad term used for anything,

This is what I don't understand...like, anything can be woke if you call it woke...and that's what makes it woke...?

So, if I call you whatever that makes you whatever?

Another Captain Mainwaring moment arrives!