Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More trouble for the Greens
Fastest way to not get a job in NZ or to lose a job you already have is to start engaging in Union Activity or to say you are interested in becoming part of the existing Union, very useful if WINZ offers you a shitty job and you don't want to do it. LOL.

Right Wingers hate Unions; not so much because of whatever the Union may do but because they don't like anyone being in any sort of power position besides themselves, horrible people, a lot of them from Christ's College here in Christchurch.

First job I ever did in Christchurch was to figure out why Christ's College Hall sound system was background humming and obviate it.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
At one time,we had laws against exploiting workers... I wonder which govt removed them?
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Back in the '70's when we were importing Pacific Islanders to work in factories, there were stories of bed sharing - one person gets up to go to work, another comes off shift and into the vacated bed. So we have been doing it for some time.

I lived on Waiheke Island for 10 years, mid '80's to mid '90's, well before the millionaires took over. It was a microism of society - someone from every walk of life was there, in one small community. I can imagine this happening over there, it attracts people like that. Fortunately there were all sorts of other people there too...
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
My eldest lives on the Coast. One or two chaps from Auckland went down there & bought up some ex state houses, did them up superficially (& cheaply) & then set about charged rents closer to those in Auckland...
Greed is probably the worst human characteristic.

‘If he’ll take twenty five, I’ll do it for twenty. ‘No, me. I’m hungry. I’ll work for fifteen. I’ll work for food.
And this was good, for wages went down & prices stayed up. The great owners were glad & they sent out more handbills to bring more people in. And wages went down & prices stayed up. And pretty soon now we’ll have serfs again."

"The danger is here, for two men are not as lonely & perplexed as one. And from this first ‘we’ there grows a still more dangerous thing:”I have a little food” plus “I have none”.
The baby has a cold. Here, take this blanket. Its wool. It was my mother’s blanket – take it for the baby.
This is the thing to bomb. This is the beginning – from ‘I’ to ‘we."

The grapes of wrath.
John Steinbeck
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
No surprises here, it's the green party after all, they seem to have a bad track record on who they elect.
Shame about David Shaw, he was the only one left with some measure of integrity.

It's obvious he was booted out because he didnt want to take the party in the direction that the rest of them wanted, Chole more or less aluded to that in her speech.

All they care about is diversity in that party, not if your qualified for the job or not, that's the price they are now paying and I say good job, it won't end well for the party.

(16-03-2024, 01:53 PM)zqwerty Wrote: Fastest way to not get a job in NZ or to lose a job you already have is to start engaging in Union Activity or to say you are interested in becoming part of the existing Union, very useful if WINZ offers you a shitty job and you don't want to do it. LOL.
And look at the aftermath of workers unions.
Employers can't afford to pay their staff, so they close their doors or lay off people.
Then all the manufacturers shut shop and buy cheap crap from China.
Would have been better to have addressed the cost of living instead and inflation.
Cutting back on immigration also would be a start so enough jobs can go around.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
Without Unions you'll just end up as slave labour if you are in factory type jobs. When we had award wages the situation was a bit better.

Roger Douglas et al took all that away with negotiations with employers for wages and voluntary Union membership.LOL.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(17-03-2024, 09:25 AM)zqwerty Wrote: Without Unions you'll just end up as slave labour if you are in factory type jobs.  When we had award wages the situation was a bit better.

Roger Douglas et al took all that away with negotiations with employers for wages and voluntary Union membership.LOL.

And the problem now is that we have a generation which doesn't comprehend Unions & the good they can do for working people.
Well, when you decide not to vote in a general election you do leave the way clear for other agendas to dominate. This is called democracy. And it is the system we have.
Further to the slavery discussion -

https://www.1news.co.nz/2024/03/17/analy...-in-limbo/
(17-03-2024, 12:00 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Further to the slavery discussion -

https://www.1news.co.nz/2024/03/17/analy...-in-limbo/

We certainly need to sort out the legal aspect to avoid more of the same - & I'm sure this govt will certainly fix it.
Eventually.
(16-03-2024, 02:43 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: At one time,we had laws against exploiting workers... I wonder which govt removed them?

You mean all the laws to protect workers have been removed?
I don't think that is what she said. The word 'all' is yours...
(18-03-2024, 07:57 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I don't think that is what she said. The word 'all' is yours...

At one time,we had laws against exploiting workers....

This would indicate there are no longer those laws - incorrectly of course.
the laws that protect workers are probably a bit different from the laws that prevent exploitation of workers
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
Good point. There are also seasons in the world of law making. Once upon a time for instance ACC was a bunch of laws and regs celebrated around the world as a game changing programme of socially responsible protections for citizens injured through no fault of their own. Then politicians started panelbeating it and it turned into a mean spirited way of fund building that created great careers for middle managers at the expense of those very vulnerable citizens. And no one - well, very few people - noticed, or really cared...
(18-03-2024, 07:53 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(16-03-2024, 02:43 PM)Lilith7 Wrote: At one time,we had laws against exploiting workers... I wonder which govt removed them?

You mean all the laws to protect workers have been removed?

No, I don't. I mean exactly what I said - at one time, we had laws against exploiting workers. 
We didn't have people working several jobs just to stay afloat because we had a wage which was sufficient to live on, & there were laws then about working hours & conditions.

(19-03-2024, 06:54 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Good point. There are also seasons in the world of law making. Once upon a time for instance ACC  was a bunch of laws and regs celebrated around the world as a game changing programme of socially responsible protections for citizens injured through no fault of their own. Then politicians started panelbeating it and it turned into a mean spirited way of fund building that created great careers for middle managers at the expense of those very vulnerable citizens. And no one - well, very few people - noticed, or really cared...

I wonder sometimes, what the result might be, if all those middle managers were removed...

Our health system badly needs overhauling; I think we could do worse than to consult nurses as to what's needed to improve it since they're the ones at th sharp end... & Drs too to some extent.

And the same with our education system - ask the people who actually work in it, the ones with experience based knowledge.

Apparently that's too simple... Rolleyes

And if we do ever manage to fix both health & education, then it might be an excellent idea to ring fence both so no future idiot meddling politicians can make 'improvements.'  Dodgy
Starting to get a bit more interesting now, more people coming forward - I'm not sure she is going to escape this.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/nz-news/35022206...rleen-tana
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
These two seem to be in the wrong party....

That's tough on the Greens, in particular the new leader Chloe Swarbrick.

Given their views, they of all politicial parties really do need to be beyond reproach & while this isn't typical of the Greens, it isn't a good look for them. They may need consider looking much more closely at the activities of their members & keeping closer tabs on them.
Not typical of the Greens at all...except for Gahraman shop lifting...and Menedez March trying to abuse his position of power to get himself and his partner through quarantine...and except for Shaw lying about his academic record and Davidson spouting racist misandry...and except for Kerekere's bullying. But aside from those MPs, the others are probably all squeaky clean (or maybe they just haven't been caught yet).
(24-03-2024, 03:08 PM)dken31 Wrote: Not typical of the Greens at all...except for Gahraman shop lifting...and Menedez March trying to abuse his position of power to get himself and his partner through quarantine...and except for Shaw lying about his academic record and Davidson spouting racist misandry...and except for Kerekere's bullying. But aside from those MPs, the others are probably all squeaky clean (or maybe they just haven't been caught yet).

Racist misandry - gee...let me guess...she upset old white men!
I do have other cameras!