Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Have kids changed, or has society changed?
(09-01-2022, 10:26 AM)gr8dadof2 Wrote: We do things every day that affects others around us. Should we stop doing that also? ....

Yes, you should if your voluntary activities are reducing the quality of life of others. Noise pollution is never a good thing and it is entirely your choice to inflict loud noises on others.

I love music and I play instruments and sing, but I would never do so where I can be heard by people who have not chosen to be in earshot.
(09-01-2022, 06:58 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Our Police are seriously under resourced to do a job that is increasingly complex and dangerous. In order to do the best they can their focus is on people rather than property. So, when we need their help to stay safe they will be there, but part of that certainty is accepting that crimes that involve property are getting a lot less attention.

If we expect our cops to look after the mentally ill, the drunks, the non compliant, the violent abusers and the trouble makers, then hunting down the ratbags who nick our stuff just has to be a low priority.

(08-01-2022, 09:35 PM)gr8dadof2 Wrote: Be careful tygertung you are really starting to sound like the government. What business is it of yours if I damage my ears or not? They are my ears I will do with them what I please. If I want to listen to a bit of 'loud' music then that is my prerogative, my ears. Really for you to assume I damage my ears just because I bought 'thousands of dollars' worth of sound gear is not on. Yes I have probably damaged my ears listening to loud music, so sue me. Big Grin
Trouble with loud is it affects those around us too.
Like being unvaccinated, the consequences of our prerogatives are often shared among those who made other choices.
With regard to your comment about our police.

But what about catching the thief BEFORE they escalate into SERIOUS crime. At the moment they are only thieving stereo equipment. Wouldn't it be better to intervene at the lesser criminal activity rather than leave it until it becomes 'increasingly complex and dangerous'

Catch the criminal and turn them around BEFORE they move into more complex crimes as they age.

It's a cop out (excuse the pun) to not focus on ALL crime.

(09-01-2022, 10:37 AM)Olive Wrote:
(09-01-2022, 10:26 AM)gr8dadof2 Wrote: We do things every day that affects others around us. Should we stop doing that also? ....

Yes, you should if your voluntary activities are reducing the quality of life of others.  Noise pollution is never a good thing and it is entirely your choice to inflict loud noises on others.

I love music and I play instruments and sing, but I would never do so where I can be heard by people who have not chosen to be in earshot.
So playing a bit of loud music is now 'reducing the quality of life' for other PMSL get the ...... outta here
(09-01-2022, 10:54 AM)gr8dadof2 Wrote:
(09-01-2022, 06:58 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Our Police are seriously under resourced to do a job that is increasingly complex and dangerous. In order to do the best they can their focus is on people rather than property. So, when we need their help to stay safe they will be there, but part of that certainty is accepting that crimes that involve property are getting a lot less attention.

If we expect our cops to look after the mentally ill, the drunks, the non compliant, the violent abusers and the trouble makers, then hunting down the ratbags who nick our stuff just has to be a low priority.

Like being unvaccinated, the consequences of our prerogatives are often shared among those who made other choices.

But what about catching the thief BEFORE they escalate into SERIOUS crime. At the moment they are only thieving stereo equipment. Wouldn't it be better to intervene at the lesser criminal activity rather than leave it until it becomes 'increasingly complex and dangerous'

Catch the criminal and turn them around BEFORE they move into more complex crimes as they age.

(09-01-2022, 10:37 AM)Olive Wrote: Yes, you should if your voluntary activities are reducing the quality of life of others.  Noise pollution is never a good thing and it is entirely your choice to inflict loud noises on others.

So playing a bit of loud music is now 'reducing the quality of life' for other PMSL get the ...... outta here

Yeah it is quite vexing when your children can't sleep because some dickhead is playing loud music late at night and keeps playing it even after you ask them politely to turn it down.
(09-01-2022, 11:03 AM)TygerTung Wrote:
(09-01-2022, 10:54 AM)gr8dadof2 Wrote: With regard to your comment about our police.

Yeah it is quite vexing when your children can't sleep because some dickhead is playing loud music late at night and keeps playing it even after you ask them politely to turn it down.
Perhaps I should have been clearer. We don't play loud music when it is bed time. Yes that is what dickheads do, you are quite right but then you are twisting the story to suit your opinion so you will always be right! ha ha
(09-01-2022, 11:03 AM)TygerTung Wrote: Yeah it is quite vexing when your children can't sleep because some dickhead is playing loud music late at night and keeps playing it even after you ask them politely to turn it down.

And it is heartbreaking when a sick relative is prevented from sleeping or is woken by loud music played by some dickhead at any time of day.
(09-01-2022, 10:54 AM)gr8dadof2 Wrote:

(09-01-2022, 10:37 AM)Olive Wrote: Yes, you should if your voluntary activities are reducing the quality of life of others.  Noise pollution is never a good thing and it is entirely your choice to inflict loud noises on others.

Yes, it is.

How do you get round the variations in tastes in music? I can take quiet background country music, but raise the volume and I get murderous really quickly. I don't like country music, I find it whiney and self indulgent.

I quite like clasical pieces, but not Wagner. I like rap, but not the violent racist sexist rapey stuff, I like techno but not endless repetition. And if you really want to get me annoyed boy bands are a really fast irritant.

So no, the quiet enjoyment of my home is mine by right, and where it clashes with your preference for loud music is exactly the point I call the council to send out their noise control people.

The council, not the Police. I'll leave that call to the neighbours when I start marching up the street to your place muttering imprecations and carrying an axe.
We only turn the stereo on at about lunchtime, on the weekend, play a few songs for an hour or so and then give it a rest for a while.
As for requiring the Police to catch bad guys before they break the law - how do you expect the cops to identify such miscreants?

It'd be like arresting you before you turn up the volume. Just in case you do.

You silly sausage...
(09-01-2022, 07:47 AM)Magoo Wrote: youve not sent some muscle over to reclaim the asset and crack a few heads? Fart oo nice.
this is why they are never dealt with. you cannot win unless you make it happen.

Oh, I'd love to, but I don't know where it is, the cops won't tell me. One said it isn't in my area anymore...another asked if we had seen it, like it was close by. No, I haven't seen it. I've put it back into my name twice, and there is now a lock on the plate. So, they will just reregister with a new plate.

If they have actually seen it...they followed the car towing it...and know who has it, and where it is. Why can't they go and claim my property and charge whoever has got it with receiving stolen goods ? Or tell me, so I can get my own property back ?

This thief has rights I no longer have.
(09-01-2022, 11:15 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(09-01-2022, 10:54 AM)gr8dadof2 Wrote: With regard to your comment about our police.

Yes, it is.

How do you get round the variations in tastes in music? I can take quiet background country music, but raise the volume and I get murderous really quickly. I don't like country music, I find it whiney and self indulgent.

I quite like clasical pieces, but not Wagner. I like rap, but not the violent racist sexist rapey stuff, I like techno but not endless repetition. And if you really want to get me annoyed boy bands are a really fast irritant.

So no, the quiet enjoyment of my home is mine by right, and where it clashes with your preference for loud music is exactly the point I call the council to send out their noise control people.

The council, not the Police. I'll leave that call to the neighbours when I start marching up the street to your place muttering imprecations and carrying an axe.
I must be in the ultimate neighbourhood that love our loud music because they have told us, or just got lucky huh?
(09-01-2022, 11:15 AM)gr8dadof2 Wrote: We only turn the stereo on at about lunchtime, on the weekend, play a few songs for an hour or so and then give it a rest for a while.
I don't care what you do or when you do it, so long as me, as your dearest next door neighbour don't have to put up with it. Just as I take my clothes off in the bathroom, not in the front garden, so my dearest next door neighbour doesn't have to get counselling for years.

It's called being a good neighbour.

(09-01-2022, 11:18 AM)gr8dadof2 Wrote:
(09-01-2022, 11:15 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Yes, it is.

I must be in the ultimate neighbourhood that love our loud music because they have told us, or just got lucky huh?
Lucky indeed.

Just as I am lucky to have a few good neighbours here. A few more than the useless buggers I would be glad to see dragged out of here by the people in white coats...

(09-01-2022, 11:18 AM)Zurdo Wrote:
(09-01-2022, 07:47 AM)Magoo Wrote: youve not sent some muscle over to reclaim the asset and crack a few heads? Fart oo nice.
this is why they are never dealt with. you cannot win unless you make it happen.

Oh, I'd love to, but I don't know where it is, the cops won't tell me. One said it isn't in my area anymore...another asked if we had seen it, like it was close by. No, I haven't seen it. I've put it back into my name twice, and there is now a lock on the plate. So, they will just reregister with a new plate.

If they have actually seen it...they followed the car towing it...and know who has it, and where it is. Why can't they go and claim my property and charge whoever has got it with receiving stolen goods ? Or tell me, so I can get my own property back ?

This thief has rights I no longer have.
Lots of people have more rights than you sweetie darling. Better get used to it, life is hugely unfair like that.
It's just the principle of the thing. I don't care about the trailer really, I was just storing a tree I'd cut up, the trailer wasn't roadworthy anymore...in my mind anyway. But I'd replaced the axle 15 years ago, I was going to build a new trailer using the axle. I just don't see why the cops know where and who, and won't act.

We've gone long adrift about kids these days, but whatshisname probably still thinks the cops are stopping naughty kids in their tracks.
(09-01-2022, 11:15 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:

Yes, it is.

The one type of music I just cannot stand is country. I can cope with a bit of blue grass but only about 10 minutes or so, & I  really hate that type of rap.

Its a good thing we have various kinds of music but I think we should refrain from inflicting our musical taste on others if they really loathe it.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I don't think kids can change in general. They are all born the same way, innocent and carefree. With time, they start to attract energy from the people around them, and their behavior changed. So, the right answer is that society has changed and the mindset people have our days. For example, if you'll visit a foster program like this one https://fosterplus.org where I have been volunteering for a while, you'll see how innocent and beautiful these kids are. They are educated and appreciate each little thing. However, their souls are full of sadness and disappointment.
(03-02-2023, 01:50 AM)leahmell Wrote: I don't think kids can change in general. They are all born the same way, innocent and carefree. With time, they start to attract energy from the people around them, and their behavior changed. So, the right answer is that society has changed and the mindset people have our days.

Being born the same way - ignoring the reality that every birth is different - doesn't mean all kids are the same. Every child born is first a product of a different combination of genes, and then subject to the conditioning and experiental learning that comes with the treatment it receives from birth onwards - which again is completely individual to that child.

One of the major lessons of parenting is the slow dawning realisation that that gorgeous little bundle of humanity we welcomed into our lives is actually not a Mini Me, but a unique and very different person to the one we dreamt of. And every now and then, that new person is a right little sod we'd happily trade for a nice biddable Golden Retriever...
Yep, Corgis for us, definitely!

Ken Wink
Corgi Wan Kenobi is watching you!
(03-02-2023, 03:44 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(03-02-2023, 01:50 AM)leahmell Wrote: I don't think kids can change in general. They are all born the same way, innocent and carefree. With time, they start to attract energy from the people around them, and their behavior changed. So, the right answer is that society has changed and the mindset people have our days.

Being born the same way - ignoring the reality that every birth is different - doesn't mean all kids are the same. Every child born is first a product of a different combination of genes, and then subject to the conditioning and experiental learning that comes with the treatment it receives from birth onwards - which again is completely individual to that child.

One of the major lessons of parenting is the slow dawning realisation that that gorgeous little bundle of humanity we welcomed into our lives is actually not a Mini Me, but a unique and very different person to the one we dreamt of. And every now and then, that new person is a right little sod we'd happily trade for a nice biddable Golden Retriever...

OR send in for a sex change.. as I may have possible remarked a time or three as my delightful lads were just about surviving their dire teenage years. Rolleyes Big Grin

I refrained from that & strangling the little dears - & it was all worth it, when I finally became a gran. And then later was able to witness them dealing with their very own teenagers. Big Grin Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
There is nothing like that teeny grin of delight when The Kid whines to us about their 'feral' offspring...

Ohhhhhh yeah! Karma baby, karma!  Big Grin
(03-02-2023, 01:10 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: There is nothing like that teeny grin of delight when The Kid whines to us about their 'feral' offspring...

Ohhhhhh yeah! Karma baby, karma!  Big Grin

Oh, I know! Makes it all worthwhile doesn't it.... Big Grin Big Grin