Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moana - Luxon interview
(20-04-2022, 07:14 PM)Lilith7 Wrote:
(20-04-2022, 05:44 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: I am all in favour of an enlarged bureaucracy. After all, we wouldn't want that lot loose in the community, would we?
Indeed - best to keep them  busy & where we can see what they're up to.. Angel Big Grin

Christopher Luxon is being seen as being out of touch for his suggestion of axing Labour day.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/...ZAo26yCjnM

"National leader Christopher Luxon's suggestion to axe Labour Day to make way for the new Matariki public holiday has been described as "out of touch".

Luxon told RNZ's Morning Report on Wednesday that the new Matariki public holiday, to be held this year on June 24, will cost $450 million at a time when businesses are grappling with record inflation.

"Look, it's a great idea, but which of the other holidays are you going to cancel?" Luxon asked. "We're very supportive of Matariki; why don't you cancel Labour Day?"

"Mr Luxon has shown how out of touch he is with Kiwi families who need a break between Queen's Birthday and Christmas," Wood wrote.

"First he didn't support Matariki and this morning he's confirmed National would look to cancel Labour Day if it became the Government."

Is it that he doesn't understand the importance of Labour day, or that he does but doesn't care? He could perhaps do with some reading up on our history.

https://nzhistory.govt.nz/keyword/samuel...nce%201900.

"Celebrated on the fourth Monday in October, Labour Day commemorates the struggle for an eight-hour working day, a right that carpenter Samuel Parnell had famously fought for in 1840. Our first Labour Day was held on 28 October 1890, and it has been a statutory public holiday since 1900. "
Except of course he didn't actually say they will cancel Labour Day but was a reference to the fact the new holiday costs small businesses $450 million each year, costs everyone will pay for.  So add a holiday, remove a holiday.  

Btw Celebrating Labour Day now is quite pointless considering many people now work multiple jobs or jobs with hours greater the 40 per week.
I think Labour Day is more relevant to our modern society than the religious holidays - let him take one of those out instead.
In and out of jobs, running free
Waging war with society
(20-04-2022, 09:43 PM)Zurdo Wrote: I think Labour Day is more relevant to our modern society than the religious holidays - let him take one of those out instead.
That is an option.
TBH I don't think it matters which holiday Luxon might choose to do away with - he will be the 'Grinch who stole [insert holiday here]' to someone...
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
why does it have to be one or the other, cant we have both?
cancelling one day and renaming it makes a joke of the significance of the holiday, and to those whos tireless efforts were the causation of that change.
would we cancel Anzac Day?
So if you disappear out of view You know I will never say goodbye
(21-04-2022, 06:22 AM)Magoo Wrote: why does it have to be one or the other, cant we have both?
cancelling one day and renaming it makes a joke of the significance of the holiday, and to those whos tireless efforts were the causation of that change.
apparently business can't afford the extra $450 million dollars that it will cost them...  

oddly enough, no mention of the apparent economic benefits of it though...

Quote:The Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment estimated adding a public holiday would cost up to $448 million. But official advice also said the public holiday could have a positive economic impact – with benefits estimated to be between $310.4m to $496.1m.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politic...-rid-of-it

back to dollars and cents
(20-04-2022, 09:25 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Btw Celebrating Labour Day now is quite pointless considering many people now work multiple jobs or jobs with hours greater the 40 per week.
No, not pointless at all - nowadays people simply have a choice to work multiple jobs or extended hours these days, unlike before  regulation.

should we not spend labour day
labouring?
Get rid of Anniversary dates, they seem to be a stupid idea, one part of the country will be open and the other will be closed because of their anniversary date, surely this would get rid of a whole lot of public holidays all in one hit!  Big Grin
Despite the high cost of living it remains popular
my wife would get all salty if we cancelled our anniversary days
in our dotage its all we have to mark time.
Stick a calendar on the fridge magoo. Then she can mark down significant events for you.
(21-04-2022, 10:23 AM)Magoo Wrote: my wife would get all salty if we cancelled our anniversary days
in our dotage its all we have to mark time.

Thats no problem, I don't have a wife  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Interesting how the actual experience of companies which have reduced working hours significantly and seen a boost in productivity is just ignored by those companies so jealous of employee freedoms.

I notice too the scrooges are not going near religious holidays. Despite the fact the number of actively faithful in the most significant religious holidays are declining by the day, and are now an endangered species.

Maybe they just cannot see beyond their own embedded biases.
Well apparently Luxon is very religious so he wouldn't touch those public holidays, I think the opposition is hammering Labour day just to rark up the government
(20-04-2022, 08:39 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(20-04-2022, 07:59 PM)Magoo Wrote: luxon is too much a noob for politics
hes getting bogged down in silly shit. distractions.
there is no reward for wading into this nonsense, leave that up to the yoghurt knitters
he needs to mongrel up
https://raffamusadesigns.com/what-is-milk-cotton-yarn/

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
How intriguing - & banana cotton, too. You really do learn something every day! Wink Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(21-04-2022, 09:12 AM)king1 Wrote:
(20-04-2022, 09:25 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Btw Celebrating Labour Day now is quite pointless considering many people now work multiple jobs or jobs with hours greater the 40 per week.
No, not pointless at all - nowadays people simply have a choice to work multiple jobs or extended hours these days, unlike before  regulation.
For many thanks to rising costs that isn't a choice but a necessity.
(21-04-2022, 02:55 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(21-04-2022, 09:12 AM)king1 Wrote: No, not pointless at all - nowadays people simply have a choice to work multiple jobs or extended hours these days, unlike before  regulation.
For many thanks to rising costs that isn't a choice but a necessity.
food and water are necessities - how many jobs and hours worked are choices determined by lifestyle factors eg wanting to maintain the existing lifestyle, in face of rising costs. But either way, give them all a break, let them have their day off...

(21-04-2022, 06:22 AM)Magoo Wrote: why does it have to be one or the other, cant we have both?
It doesn't have to be & we could & should, have both. I suspect he chose Labour day to be  difficult, & knows its very unlikely to ever go.

In view of what it symbolises, i doubt that even he & the Nats would be foolish enough to remove it.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(21-04-2022, 03:05 PM)king1 Wrote:
(21-04-2022, 02:55 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: For many thanks to rising costs that isn't a choice but a necessity.
food and water are necessities - how many jobs and hours worked are choices determined by lifestyle factors eg wanting to maintain the existing lifestyle, in face of rising costs.  But either way, give them all a break, let them have their day off...
No when putting food on the table or paying rent requires someone to work 60 plus hours a week or 2 or 3 jobs that no longer is a choice.