Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Golriz Gahraman allegedly attempted shoplifting
Well, MS hasn't made my kid turn criminal, so let's put that one aside. Stupid suggestion imo, by the time MS affects decisionmaking shopping is usually beyond the person's physical ability.

What gets me is this - the MP is a public figure. These stores knew who she was. So if their concerns were genuine, why not just contact her directly? It isn't hard to do, I did it after reading her book and got a personal response, so why didn't they?

Maybe because someone wants to destroy her? Something about this is really stinky. Almost as stinky as the manufactured scandals that have brought down several other female MPs in recent memory.
The right wing journalist, Janet Wilson, has been quick to comment several times on it.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3010394...v2-mo2c6tT
"Scotties had told us they did not want the allegations to become public so we did not make a statement at the time. However, Ghahraman did agree to stand down from her portfolios until the matter was resolved," the co-leaders said.
Former National Party chief press secretary Janet Wilson said the situation has been poorly handled by the Green Party.

"I don't think they've handled it well, and the reason for that is, when you have bad news to deliver, you need to be the one to deliver that bad news and to get ahead of it, otherwise you're in defensive mode.

"You're constantly playing catch-up in defensive mode, which is where the Green Party find themselves now, and that's the mistake that they've made… where they are having to chase everyone else, chase the story as more and more comes out."

Wilson said the reason the co-leaders have put forward for delaying comment is unconvincing.
"I've never heard of a political party follow the wishes of a high-end frock shop, because they didn't want it to come out - I think that's a very weak reason."

Shaw and Davidson said they would not comment further until they had gathered all the facts, and spoken with Ghahraman.
In the meantime, she remains an MP but has stood aside from all of her portfolio responsibilities, including justice, foreign affairs and defence."

She's assuming rather a lot; that the party doesn't yet have the full facts & that they didn't announce it immediately because the shop didn't want them to, when it might be that the party preferred to wait until Golriz was back in the country.

And its interesting that she uses the term 'frock shop', perhaps in an effort to demean the retailer which didn't behave as she appears to think it should have.

And once again - if she was out of the country, & the shop did not want it made public - then who did make it public, & why?

(16-01-2024, 10:59 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Well, MS hasn't made my kid turn criminal, so let's put that one aside. Stupid suggestion imo, by the time MS affects decisionmaking shopping is usually beyond the person's physical ability.

What gets me is this - the MP is a public figure. These stores knew who she was. So if their concerns were genuine, why not just contact her directly? It isn't hard to do, I did it after reading her book and got a personal response, so why didn't they?

Maybe because someone wants to destroy her?  Something about this is really stinky. Almost as stinky as the manufactured scandals that have brought down several other female MPs in recent memory.

Indeed; its all a bit odd. And who made it public - & why - might be a good place to start.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Breaking news
She has resigned.
https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/...ccusations
Yep she is history. Clearly she did the deed and has now paid for it. Blaming stress and mental health a bit weak though.

(16-01-2024, 10:59 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Well, MS hasn't made my kid turn criminal, so let's put that one aside. Stupid suggestion imo, by the time MS affects decisionmaking shopping is usually beyond the person's physical ability.

Maybe because someone wants to destroy her?  Something about this is really stinky. Almost as stinky as the manufactured scandals that have brought down several other female MPs in recent memory.

What other scandals are you referring?  Kiri Allan was also the creator of her own doom.
When a member of the public, an ordinary citizen does something silly, like drink and drive, or shoplift, or have an affair or whatever, it doesn't usually make the papers. There aren't journalists asking people to come forward and tell tales. Careers are usually safe. If it reaches court there is little chance of the neighbours following details on the local media.

And don't tell me it doesn't happen. Anyone who claims to have never ever stuffed up badly is delusional. Or deadly boring.

But as soon as it is one of the folk who dared to put themselves on the public stage, the slavering dogs are out for the juicy bits. It is rather revolting, imo.
(16-01-2024, 11:51 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: When a member of the public, an ordinary citizen does something silly, like drink and drive, or shoplift, or have an affair or whatever, it doesn't usually make the papers. There aren't journalists asking people to come forward and tell tales. Careers are usually safe. If it reaches court there is little chance of the neighbours following details on the local media.

And don't tell me it doesn't happen. Anyone who claims to have never ever stuffed up badly is delusional. Or deadly boring.

But as soon as it is one of the folk who dared to put themselves on the public stage, the slavering dogs are out for the juicy bits. It is rather revolting, imo.

Well that would be the difference between a public figure and a private one.  Public figures are often, rightly or wrongly , held to a higher standard than your average citizen. 

But still waiting for those other scandals you referred to.
According to James Shaw, she faced continuous sexual, physical threats.

https://www.1news.co.nz/2024/01/16/ghahr...eats-shaw/

"Golriz Ghahraman was subject to almost continuous threats of sexual and physical violence — including death threats — in her six years as an MP, Greens co-leader James Shaw claims.
He made the comments in a press conference this afternoon in Auckland, following Ghahraman's announcement she would immediately resign from Parliament, amid shoplifting allegations.
The former human rights lawyer and Iranian refugee apologised in a statement around midday today, saying she had let a lot of people down and would take accountability for her actions. She said she had fallen short of expectations and mental health was a factor in her acting "in ways that are completely out of character".

This afternoon, Shaw said Parliament was "obviously" a stressful place but Ghahraman had been "subject to pretty much continuous threats of sexual violence, physical violence, death threats since the day she was elected to parliament".
"That has added a higher level of stress than is experienced by most of parliament.

"That has meant, for example, that there have been police investigations into those threats almost the entire time she has been in parliament.
"Obviously, if you're living with that level of threat in what is already quite a stressful situation, then there are going to be consequences for that. I have a lot of empathy for the fact that she has identified that she is in a state of extreme mental distress.
"She's taking accountability for her actions."

Marama Davidson said there was a "high quality and very robust" selection process for Green MPs but MPs of all parties were "still human" when they came into politics.
She said the party would continue to support Ghahraman through "a really distressing time", saying Ghahraman was "clearly distressed".
"We know that this is the right decision for her — to apologise and resign from Parliament for her wellbeing, for her to be able to focus."
She said the focus now was to give Ghahraman "aroha and compassion".

https://www.1news.co.nz/2024/01/16/timel...ghahraman/

She has talked of the threats she has received for taking public positions and the need to have security at times. She has also spoken in Parliament of the many times she was told she wasn’t welcome in New Zealand and didn’t have a right to criticise politicians.

After working as a criminal defence lawyer in New Zealand, she worked for the United Nations tribunals on Rwanda and Cambodia.
She has been a strong advocate for human rights, including appearing before the Supreme Court to argue cases. Among the issues she campaigned on were justice reform, refugee and migrant rights, and for family carers of disabled people."

(16-01-2024, 11:51 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: When a member of the public, an ordinary citizen does something silly, like drink and drive, or shoplift, or have an affair or whatever, it doesn't usually make the papers. There aren't journalists asking people to come forward and tell tales. Careers are usually safe. If it reaches court there is little chance of the neighbours following details on the local media.

It is definitely revolting; sometimes we're just not a very nice species. The media will be ecstatic & will no doubt spin this for weeks.
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
(16-01-2024, 12:30 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote:

Well that would be the difference between a public figure and a private one.  Public figures are often, rightly or wrongly , held to a higher standard than your average citizen. 

Rightly or wrongly?

The other scandals? There've been a few. But am I wrong jn thinking the careers destroyed are predominantly the ones female public figures once held? Are women held to higher standards? Or are the slavering dogs just more interested in female meat?
(16-01-2024, 11:31 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Blaming stress and mental health a bit weak though.
Considering Golriz has had a difficult early life with she and her family escaping Iran as refugees, has a debilitating chronic health issue, has endured constant insults and threats (including death) over her time in public life, ended a personal relationship in 2020 (likely a consequence of stressors), is conscious of genocidal actions being suffered by possibly friends, family and/or associates in Gaza, and is aware that a new government is actively overturning social and environmental policies that she was party to over the past years, and now she is being vilified by hordes of RWNJ critics without any formal charges having been laid or guilt proven.

A bit weak? You really think so? Golriz would easily run rings around the average whinings (no pun intended) of the average substandard keyboard warrior in terms of mental toughness.
(16-01-2024, 02:55 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(16-01-2024, 11:31 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Blaming stress and mental health a bit weak though.
Considering Golriz has had a difficult early life with she and her family escaping Iran as refugees, has a debilitating chronic health issue, has endured constant insults and threats (including death) over her time in public life, ended a personal relationship in 2020 (likely a consequence of stressors), is conscious of genocidal actions being suffered by possibly friends, family and/or associates in Gaza, and is aware that a new government is actively overturning social and environmental policies that she was party to over the past years, and now she is being vilified by hordes of RWNJ critics without any formal charges having been laid or guilt proven.

A bit weak? You really think so? Golriz would easily run rings around the average whinings (no pun intended) of the average substandard keyboard warrior in terms of mental toughness.

Well she is gone so lets hope this helps her mental health.  As for guilt- well if she was innocent then wouldn't she fight it?  Hasn't her resignation and statement confirmed what has been said?  Or is she referring to other behavior yet to come to light?

(16-01-2024, 02:48 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote:
(16-01-2024, 12:30 PM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Well that would be the difference between a public figure and a private one.  Public figures are often, rightly or wrongly , held to a higher standard than your average citizen. 

Rightly or wrongly?

The other scandals? There've been a few. But am I wrong jn thinking the careers destroyed are predominantly the ones female public figures once held? Are women held to higher standards? Or are the slavering dogs just more interested in female meat?

Well so far you haven't said what these other scandals are so cant comment.

I wonder if I looked back at historical posts what your thoughts were on Sam Uffendell?  Remembering that his issues occured well before he was a public figure.
(16-01-2024, 02:55 PM)harm_less Wrote:

Its an interesting aspect of quite a bit of online/offline abuse that very often, that seems to be the case. So much that it has to be wondered if those who are quite deliberately causing the stress & pain to someone might have problems coping with people who appear stronger than themselves, & perhaps in particular, if they happen to be women in prominent positions.

Since there have been so many media revelations which they clearly enjoy immensely, I hope it will be revealed who was responsible for giving this information to the media.
I guess expecting any male to understand how threats of sexual violence affect us is pushing their limits a bit. After all, most of them have never felt sexually threatened, whereas most women have.

I am really glad to hear the party will continue to support her. After all, they benefitted hugely from her work, her personality, her life experience, and her image.

Meanwhile, back in pollyworld I hear the Nats are considering a four year term. Paint me surprised.
(16-01-2024, 07:27 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Meanwhile, back in pollyworld I hear the Nats are considering a four year term. Paint me surprised.
That would require the electorate to vote that way and as this coalition keep putting a wrecking ball to our social structure, ethnic culture, economic wellbeing and personal freedoms they're definitely not presenting a positive reason for extending their reign to continue doing so.
Oh please! She's a shoplifter. End off. Everyone has trauma to deal with. We don't all end up thieving. I worked with a Pharmacist in a hospital a few years back. His family escaped the killing fields in Cambodia....lost some his family to genocide etc etc. Came here as a refugee/child, after trekking miles and miles to get somewhere safe. Studied hard, worked hard, ended up working in the Ministry of Health. Left as he couldn't believe what a bunch of numtys they were. His story is truly horrific...he shared it with us at work one day. Didn't go thieving from shops though. Stop making excuses for this woman.
(16-01-2024, 09:45 PM)TinkandTiff Wrote: Oh please! She's a shoplifter. End off. Everyone has trauma to deal with. We don't all end up thieving. 

Well, not really - folks deal with trauma in different ways, some seem to be able to put it behind them and move on, others turn to drugs, get high on P and start waving machetes and swords around; others with a bent towards firearms might take their own lives or worse, that of others...  Everyone deals with trauma differently.

I guess some of us just want to try and understand how she maybe got to this position in her life, some may even relate?
This world would be a perfect place if it wasn't for the people.

Sharesies | Buy Crypto | Surfshark VPN | Cloud Backup
(16-01-2024, 09:45 PM)TinkandTiff Wrote: Oh please! She's a shoplifter. End off. Everyone has trauma to deal with. We don't all end up thieving. I worked with a Pharmacist in a hospital a few years back. His family escaped the killing fields in Cambodia....lost some his family to genocide etc etc. Came here as a refugee/child, after trekking miles and miles to get somewhere safe. Studied hard, worked hard, ended up working in the Ministry of Health. Left as he couldn't believe what a bunch of numtys they were.  His story is truly horrific...he shared it with us at work one day.  Didn't go thieving from shops though. Stop making excuses for this woman.

Did he get regular messages suggesting he be raped and burned alive? Walk a mile in those shoes before you judge someone else for collapsing under their load...

(16-01-2024, 10:17 PM)king1 Wrote:
(16-01-2024, 09:45 PM)TinkandTiff Wrote: Oh please! She's a shoplifter. End off. Everyone has trauma to deal with. We don't all end up thieving. 

Well, not really - folks deal with trauma in different ways, some seem to be able to put it behind them and move on, others turn to drugs, get high on P and start waving machetes and swords around; others with a bent towards firearms might take their own lives or worse, that of others...  Everyone deals with trauma differently.

I guess some of us just want to try and understand how she maybe got to this position in her life, some may even relate?

Her book is a good read. Public library has a few copies.
Its a pity that the media didn't manage the very same enthusiasm to write about her accomplishments as they did when writing about her downfall; but that says everything about them rather than her. They seem to be constantly edging into the gutter press terroritory so familiar to some overseas media.

The fact of having been a refugee would be sufficent for some people to be traumatised for life, yet she managed to overcome that early experience & achieved much more despite it, than most of us. Certainly far more than most of the abusers ever have.

Id like to think that the media will now have the grace to leave the woman alone while she tries to pick up the pieces & make a new life, whether they will or not though is another thing.
And since the media are so very keen on revealing all, perhaps they might manage to reveal just who they got their information from to begin with...

(16-01-2024, 09:45 PM)TinkandTiff Wrote: Oh please! She's a shoplifter. End off. Everyone has trauma to deal with. We don't all end up thieving. I worked with a Pharmacist in a hospital a few years back. His family escaped the killing fields in Cambodia....lost some his family to genocide etc etc. Came here as a refugee/child, after trekking miles and miles to get somewhere safe. Studied hard, worked hard, ended up working in the Ministry of Health. Left as he couldn't believe what a bunch of numtys they were.  His story is truly horrific...he shared it with us at work one day.  Didn't go thieving from shops though. Stop making excuses for this woman.

She also came here as a refugee, was a child asylum seeker, worked her socks off to qualify as a lawyer, was the first refugee to become an MP. And for all her achievements, there were those fairly twisted humans who targeted her, constantly.  Dodgy

NO ONE is 'making excuses' for her behaviour; instead most of us are trying to understand it, trying to comprehend how anyone could cope with such a level of constant abusive threats & still function.
And probably, most of us are also attempting to comprehend the level of violent malice directed towards her & the reasons for that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golriz_Gha...Parliament.
Stuff tells us a number of police met with Golriz outside her home and went inside with her.

So dangerous a shoplifter that the cops had to attend in numbers? Or were they just hoping for an autograph, or a selfie?

Bloody hell, it just gets worse.
(17-01-2024, 02:16 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: Stuff tells us a number of police met with Golriz outside her home and went inside with her.

So dangerous a shoplifter that the cops had to attend in numbers? Or were they just hoping for an autograph, or a selfie?

Bloody hell, it just gets worse.

Good grief - FIVE of them?!
You might expect that number had there been a violent offence of some kind. Fantastic - can we now expect the police/legal system to  continue to go over the top in this way, or will sanity prevail?
That really is ridiculous, as well as unnecessary, Dodgy
Absolutely pitiful way the greens handled the whole situation and as expected, they just play the mental health card.
Mind you, I dont expect anything different from them, they knew about this since the 27th.
She knew what she did was wrong, never realized Golriz was from Iran of all places.
Probably the best place for her, dont they chop off thieves hands over there?
This person was defending criminals over there, seems perfectly qualified for the job!
Good riddance I say, and if any of the rumors are true that another Green MP handed back the stolen goods on the 23rd to the retailer and apologized on her behalf, than the greens, have much much more to worry about.
Just glad that this party is not in power, what a shitshow it would be.
And to think there are people defending this kind of shit says everything about the green party and their voter base.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.