Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Things you don't hear so much anymore
(04-04-2024, 11:24 PM)joe 90 Wrote:
(11-01-2024, 10:35 AM)Lilith7 Wrote: I was thinking about these earlier & managed to remember some, add some if you think of any. Smile

I'll be there in two shakes of a lamb's tail.

He's just the bees knees.

He thinks he's just the cat's pyjamas.

She's a box of birds.

When our ship/boat comes in.

More of those chem trails today. Rolleyes

In like Flynn.

She's a Bobby dazzler.

As full as a bull/boot/the family po.

I'm full of beans.

His nibs.

I'll be there in a tick/two ticks.

She's/he's as fit as a fiddle.

So & so said.

A sky as black as the ace of spades/your hat.

He's as cool as a cucumber.

Feeling a bit browned off.

I'm as free from money as a frog is from feathers. (My Gran) Big Grin Big Grin
in like a robbers dog       like a rat up a drainpipe ,   rat bag       well blow  me  down  ,  bugger  me  days  ,  stinks to  high  heaven  ,  like  a fish out of water     from the horses  mouth     stone the  crows      -----

I remember all those, remembered one more:

You wouldn't bloody well read about it! Big Grin
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
I thought it was "bugger me daze"
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
(05-04-2024, 11:31 AM)zqwerty Wrote: I thought it was "bugger me daze"

That sounds about right...
in order to be old & wise, you must first be young & stupid. (I'm still working on that.)
Full as the family po.

Drunk as 40 cats.

He was a bit shickered.
It's enough to make a cat laugh.
What a so and so he was.

Be careful what you say or I'll knock your block off.

Bigger they are the harder they fall.

Slow and sure wins the race.

Softly softly catche monkey.
It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche
Put the wood in the hole (shut the door).
If I were you I would think twice about that.

Don't let it go to your head.

His eyes were bigger than his stomach.

Living beyond their means.

Life is a bowl of cherries.

Living for the day.

Carpe Diem - "Seize the day"

“Si Ye Pambili” (Let us go Forward) [My old school motto in Bulawayo, Southern Rhodesia now Zimbabwe, Matabele language: The Matebele people of Zimbabwe descend from followers of the Zulu leader Mzilikazi (one of Zulu King Shaka's generals), who left the Zulu Kingdom in the early 19th century, during the Mfecane, arriving in present-day Zimbabwe in 1839] Once upon a time I used to hear this everyday.
Bob's your uncle.

Uncle Tom Cobley & all.

He was three sheets to the wind.
Here today, gone tomorrow.

My favourite stompin' ground.

Apples never fall far from the tree.
Well then, more fool him.

He put one over him. (Being ripped off)

It's just one of those things.
Just sing out if you need a hand.

In my book...

A pound to a penny.
Stop bellyaching about it.

There are no two ways about it.

As sure as eggs.
"Ooh my gaawd - what's come amongst us!"
It wouldn't makea blind bit of difference.

He's had a rough trot.
He pulled a swifty.
You can put a ring around it.
You could have knocked me down with a feather.

Well, blow me down.

Bugger that.
My bloody oath.

Butter wouldn't melt in his mouth.
She made a pig's ear of it.