Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pick the winner...
(14-10-2023, 09:59 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(14-10-2023, 08:51 PM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: It isn't about that. It is a reflection of the growing strength in the Maori independence movement. It's about Mana, making the choice for Maori above traditional politics. Greens similar thing, not against the major left party, but towards a new way of doing things.

Not stealing, choosing a new way. Both major parties should take note.

Maybe so, lots of maori elite in labor that are compromised. Seems they were saying tonight that maori felt let down by Willie Jackson for example.
Speaking of the maori seats, I don't understand what they are meaning by overhang if the maori party win more seats. How does it cause there to be more seats in parliament if the seat switches from labour to maori?
Do some research.
(14-10-2023, 10:04 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(14-10-2023, 09:59 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Maybe so, lots of maori elite in labor that are compromised. Seems they were saying tonight that maori felt let down by Willie Jackson for example.
Speaking of the maori seats, I don't understand what they are meaning by overhang if the maori party win more seats. How does it cause there to be more seats in parliament if the seat switches from labour to maori?
Do some research.

I've been reading a bit about it, doesn't really make much sense and a whole bunch of maths comes into it.
No one fully understands MMP if you go and ask any random voter.
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
Each party's share of the 120 "normal" seats is determined by their share of the party vote. Those seats are essentially then allocated first to the electorate vote winners and any remaining seats to list candidates.

E.g. ACT's party vote entitle them to 11 seats, which get allocated to their two electorate winners plus 9 list MPs.

In TPM's case, however, their share of the party vote only entitles them to 3 seats out of the 120, whereas it looks like they'll win 4 electorate seats. That extra electoral candidate, over and above their party vote entitlement, is additional to the 120, i.e. we end up with 121 MPs in total.
(14-10-2023, 10:04 PM)harm_less Wrote:
(14-10-2023, 09:59 PM)C_T_Russell Wrote: Maybe so, lots of maori elite in labor that are compromised. Seems they were saying tonight that maori felt let down by Willie Jackson for example.
Do some research.

Boy someone was a bit twitchy- normally can't shut you up.
(15-10-2023, 07:15 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(14-10-2023, 10:04 PM)harm_less Wrote: Do some research.

Boy someone was a bit twitchy- normally can't shut you up.
Just for you sunshine as it appears research is too big an ask.

How overhang seats arise

Under MMP, a party is entitled to a number of seats based on its share of the total vote. If a party's share entitles it to ten seats and its candidates win seven constituencies, it will be awarded three list seats, bringing it up to its required number. This only works, however, if the party's seat entitlement is not less than the number of constituencies it has won. If, for example, a party is entitled to five seats, but wins six constituencies, the sixth constituency seat is referred to as an overhang seat. Overhang can result from an unproportional distribution of constituencies as well as strong region-based support or the existence of regional parties.
(15-10-2023, 08:02 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(15-10-2023, 07:15 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Boy someone was a bit twitchy- normally can't shut you up.

How overhang seats arise

Under MMP, a party is entitled to a number of seats based on its share of the total vote. If a party's share entitles it to ten seats and its candidates win seven constituencies, it will be awarded three list seats, bringing it up to its required number. This only works, however, if the party's seat entitlement is not less than the number of constituencies it has won. If, for example, a party is entitled to five seats, but wins six constituencies, the sixth constituency seat is referred to as an overhang seat. Overhang can result from an unproportional distribution of constituencies as well as strong region-based support or the existence of regional parties.

More snippyness.  I guess waking to a blue sky day hasn't improved your mood.

BTW I knew how it worked
The interesting thing about MMP is most governments are actually minority governments, unlike FPtP elections. So everytime I hear David Seymour talk about having a mandate I grin...

I am delighted by the Green result. But sad they didn't do as well as I was hoping. But then, I am such an optimist. You have to be as a raging leftie with a vote...
(15-10-2023, 08:18 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: The interesting thing about MMP is most governments are actually minority governments, unlike FPtP elections. So everytime I hear David Seymour talk about having a mandate I grin...

I am delighted by the Green result. But sad they didn't do as well as I was hoping. But then, I am such an optimist. You have to be as a raging leftie with a vote...
3 electorate Green MPs and party vote enough to put 15 MPs into the house. Sustainable and encouraging growth in the long term and promising as we look forward to the next election (in potentially <3 years) by which time the climate emergency will be undeniable and probably still largely ignored by NAct.

We saw yesterday's results as a real possibility and recently updated one of our EVs (while the CCD was still there) and have yet to sell our old one which will now increase in value on the secondhand market. I see global instability driven in part by environmental events which will put NAct well and truly to the test. We're in for a rough ride.

(15-10-2023, 08:17 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote:
(15-10-2023, 08:02 AM)harm_less Wrote: Just for you sunshine as it appears research is too big an ask.

How overhang seats arise

More snippyness.  I guess waking to a blue sky day hasn't improved your mood.

BTW I knew how it worked
A cut and paste post was as much time as I had for you. Usually I don't see you worth replying to as it only results in caustic comments, and again you've proved this to be the case.

Bit like the whingy old sop sitting at the end of the bar. Unless you're into poking a bear with a stick it's better to find more positive conversation.
The greens might do better next time if they learn to think through their policies and come up with things that are workable and do not reward and punish the same people at the same time - eg their idea of supposedly giving tax cuts to the same people who were going to starve under their wealth tax. Maybe next time they will look wider at the bigger picture. Even put their money where their mouths are and come up with a better election night party venue than a pub. To me that showed they have a long way to go.
(15-10-2023, 08:45 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(15-10-2023, 08:18 AM)Oh_hunnihunni Wrote: The interesting thing about MMP is most governments are actually minority governments, unlike FPtP elections. So everytime I hear David Seymour talk about having a mandate I grin...

3 electorate Green MPs and party vote enough to put 15 MPs into the house. Sustainable and encouraging growth in the long term and promising as we look forward to the next election (in potentially <3 years) by which time the climate emergency will be undeniable and probably still largely ignored by NAct.

We saw yesterday's results as a real possibility and recently updated one of our EVs (while the CCD was still there) and have yet to sell our old one which will now increase in value on the secondhand market. I see global instability driven in part by environmental events which will put NAct well and truly to the test. We're in for a rough ride.

(15-10-2023, 08:17 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: More snippyness.  I guess waking to a blue sky day hasn't improved your mood.

BTW I knew how it worked
A cut and paste post was as much time as I had for you. Usually I don't see you worth replying to as it only results in caustic comments, and again you've proved this to be the case.

Bit like the whingy old sop sitting at the end of the bar. Unless you're into poking a bear with a stick it's better to find more positive conversation.
Ohhh bless
(15-10-2023, 09:42 AM)SueDonim Wrote: The greens might do better next time if they learn to think through their policies and come up with things that are workable and do not reward and punish the same people at the same time - eg their idea of supposedly giving tax cuts to the same people who were going to starve under their wealth tax. Maybe next time they will look wider at the bigger picture. Even put their money where their mouths are and come up with a better election night party venue than a pub. To me that showed they have a long way to go.

Well, at least they weren't promising to make the very few wealthier at the expense of the many. Or to put the Treaty on which this nation was built to a referendum.

It is going to be a very interesting time ahead. Particularly intriguing will be how long it lasts. And we will at least have a solid opposition in place.

Yup, might pay to get the popcorn supplies in! Big Grin
(15-10-2023, 04:26 AM)dken31 Wrote: Each party's share of the 120 "normal" seats is determined by their share of the party vote. Those seats are essentially then allocated first to the electorate vote winners and any remaining seats to list candidates.

E.g. ACT's party vote entitle them to 11 seats, which get allocated to their two electorate winners plus 9 list MPs.

In TPM's case, however, their share of the party vote only entitles them to 3 seats out of the 120, whereas it looks like they'll win 4 electorate seats. That extra electoral candidate, over and above their party vote entitlement, is additional to the 120, i.e. we end up with 121 MPs in total.
There was some talk about it on the talkback the other day and even the hosts didnt fully understand it.
But this is what I dont get, why does the party vote even count if its under 5%?
TPM would get the 3 electoral candidates that were elected, so why does a 4th seat even count under party votes?
Seems that the 2020 election got them 2 seats, but only one of those was an electoral candidate.

(15-10-2023, 08:02 AM)harm_less Wrote:
(15-10-2023, 07:15 AM)Wainuiguy Wrote: Boy someone was a bit twitchy- normally can't shut you up.

How overhang seats arise

So what happens if there was a situation where a small party won a whole bunch of electorate seats and little party vote?
Would they need more overhang seats?
Unapologetic NZ first voter, white cis male, climate change skeptic.
(19-10-2023, 10:30 AM)C_T_Russell Wrote:
(15-10-2023, 08:02 AM)harm_less Wrote: Just for you sunshine as it appears research is too big an ask.

How overhang seats arise

So what happens if there was a situation where a small party won a whole bunch of electorate seats and little party vote?
Would they need more overhang seats?
Yes. read the link I included above. What you're describing is just the situation that TPM is currently facing.