Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 724
» Latest member: Rebels181
» Forum threads: 3,027
» Forum posts: 55,685

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 202 online users.
» 2 Member(s) | 198 Guest(s)
Bing, Yandex, JanW, king1

Latest Threads
Sayings & Quotes
Forum: General Discussion
Last Post: Lilith7
1 hour ago
» Replies: 1,041
» Views: 90,995
Things you don't hear so ...
Forum: General Discussion
1 hour ago
» Replies: 98
» Views: 1,623
You can never have enough...
Forum: Sewing, embroidery and knitting
Last Post: kiwimade64
2 hours ago
» Replies: 8,576
» Views: 789,812
Afternoon Quiz
Forum: Puzzles & Games
Last Post: Oh_hunnihunni
Yesterday, 06:33 PM
» Replies: 3,578
» Views: 503,593
Act says it how it is reg...
Forum: Opinion and Politics
Yesterday, 03:50 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 60
Bird flu interspecies inf...
Forum: News and Current Affairs
Yesterday, 03:42 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 34
Group targeted by Tamaki ...
Yesterday, 03:32 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 44
Largest independent super...
Yesterday, 03:23 PM
» Replies: 8
» Views: 90
UN has sensible policy on...
Forum: Opinion and Politics
Last Post: Oh_hunnihunni
Yesterday, 01:20 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 66
Good experience with OneN...
Forum: Computing and Technology
Last Post: nzoomed
Yesterday, 12:53 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 41

Thumbs Up Govt does U-Turn on transport plan
Posted by: C_T_Russell - 07-03-2023, 09:56 AM - Forum: News and Current Affairs - No Replies

A somewhat decent move, the roads are in a mess, too much spent on cycleways while roads have been neglected with potholes.
https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/03/06/u-tur...-recovery/

Print this item

Cell Phone Batteries
Posted by: brucem - 06-03-2023, 04:23 PM - Forum: PressF1 - Replies (16)

I have a Nokia 3310 dumb phone, purchased in February 2019.  The battery (BL-4UL 3.7V 4.4Wh) has, for some time had little capacity, but now is swollen in the middle.  I have tried to buy a new one locally, I have tried Warehouse Stationary, Phone Parts & Accesories, Battery Masta, and PBTech, with no immediate joy, although Battery Masta can get me one from Australia (by sea!) ($40).

Does anyone know where else is worth trying?

My cell phone use is mainly to get appointment reminders for Doctors, and Dentist.  I also take it with me in case my wife wants me to get something more than I was directed to get at the supermarket.

Print this item

And the darwin award belongs to.....
Posted by: C_T_Russell - 06-03-2023, 12:33 PM - Forum: General Discussion - No Replies

https://www.reddit.com/r/facepalm/commen...&context=3

Print this item

Thumbs Down Liz Gunn arrested at airport
Posted by: C_T_Russell - 06-03-2023, 11:28 AM - Forum: News and Current Affairs - Replies (6)

Was very sad to see how she was manhandled for filming and welcoming the family she had helped find a home in NZ after being in essentially home detention for not having a Covid jab in Tokelau of all places. Like they were any risk of transmitting the virus in such an isolated place.
She was arrested due to politics, not for breaking any rules.

Other people were free to film that family, but not Liz Gunn.
Why? She was not filming for commercial reasons, so she was not in breach of any terms.
They should have just left her alone instead of making a story of it.

Print this item

Those wild rumours during/after cyclone Gabrielle
Posted by: Lilith7 - 06-03-2023, 11:10 AM - Forum: News and Current Affairs - Replies (8)

There were rumours of 'hundreds of deaths' having occurred during the cyclone from various sources; quite a bit has been traced to this chap, Tim Baker.

That he runs a mental health charity is slightly alarming.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/3008195...aths-began

Eleven dead?” the man says to the camera, shaking his head in disbelief.
My [source] reckons more like a thousand, maybe more.”

In online videos, Baker – who runs a mental health charity and achieved brief online notoriety for selling Donald Trump-themed toilet paper – became an on-the-ground witness to the carnage. He posted daily reports on his Facebook page, and was interviewed by Counterspin Media and Liz Gunn, videos that have been viewed tens of thousands of times combined.
His reports included an intriguing claim, attributed to two unnamed people he said had “very high roles in emergency services”: The death toll was much higher than what was officially reported.
It started with his first video on February 21, around a week after the cyclone had passed.
From the stories I’ve heard so far, the death toll is a lot higher... the 11 we’re being told is not accurate,” Baker said.

They’re not rumours, guys. The morgue is full at Hastings hospital… the makeshift morgue at Napier port is full. They’ve run out of body bags, okay?” he said in one video.
This is the truth, and it’s not my intention to scare anyone or hurt anyone.”
While the rumours started soon after the cyclone passed, they kicked into gear around February 20.
The Daily Telegraph - a New Zealand news aggregating website - published a story based on what it said was an interview with a helicopter pilot.
I’ve seen hundreds of dead bodies,” the pilot, who is not identified, reportedly said.
The Brian Tamaki-associated Freedoms & Rights Coalition shared the story on Facebook. Its page has 55,000 followers.
That same day, another Facebook post – titled DEAD BODIES MOUNT UP – claimed a death toll of more than 2000: “This is NZ’s worst disaster by a factor of 10,” it said. 

On February 25, Ickonic – a website associated with the British conspiracy theorist David Icke – broadcast an interview with New Zealand content creator Lingo Lewi.
We can’t even fathom how many bodies there are,” Lingo Lewi said.

A common charge against the mainstream media in these communities is that it’s sensationalistic and obsessed with climate change. The ‘unreported death toll’ theory supposes the same media has done the opposite: Downplayed a natural disaster that can plausibly be linked to climate change."

Print this item

Do we really need this?
Posted by: Oldfellah - 06-03-2023, 09:47 AM - Forum: General Discussion - Replies (9)

Mark Wahlberg has shared a special message for his Kiwi fans after the opening of his first Wahlburgers restaurant in New Zealand last week.
I think we have plenty of burger joints in New Zealand local and overseas ones to be able to keep people fat for years, why do we need another one and why should we make another American richer,yes I know people will come up with it will employ locals and use local produce but they were charging $23 for a burger , NO WAY!!!  Angry Angry

Print this item

Differing prices
Posted by: yousnoozeyoulose - 05-03-2023, 05:23 PM - Forum: General Discussion - Replies (12)

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/1314080...her-online

So this week we've had two shoppers buying something at a price they've been happy to pay, and finding out if they'd got off their arse and gone into the shop they could have got it cheaper.

If you were happy to pay the number on the pricetag, stop moaning after the fact! One thought they had a bargain, and one had the expendable income to pay $5 for a head of broccoli. No sympathy from me.

Print this item

The first of National election promises
Posted by: Lilith7 - 05-03-2023, 02:19 PM - Forum: Opinion and Politics - Replies (10)

Or possibly, bribe. In principle a good idea but its only available per household rather than per child which may mean its of about the same use as a chocolate teapot for many people.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politic...han-180000

"If the public service stops hiring so many consultants, National Party leader Christopher Luxon says it could afford greater childcare subsidies.
During his State of the Nation speech on Sunday, Luxon promised he would order the public service to cut $400 million from its consultancy bill. That money, he said, would fund a new childcare policy, giving a 25% rebate to most families’ childcare bills.
The childcare rebates were expected to cost about $250m per year and would be available per household – not per child."
Surely the sensible option would be for govt to cover all childcare costs from our taxes, rather than allowing it to continue to be sometimes not much more than a money making exercise.

Print this item

Android phone Home screen ...
Posted by: Galaxy01 - 04-03-2023, 09:07 PM - Forum: PC World Chat - Replies (4)

I have a Samsung Galaxy A72 phone, running Android 13.  

I changed the Home Screen from the Default to a new one.  But after using it for a while, I don't quite like it and wanted to change it back to the default pix.

To my disappointment, no way I can find the default pix. 

Can someone here direct me on how to reset the home screen to the default pix? 

Cheers

Print this item

Are you looking to rent a flat in Auckland?
Posted by: Roscoe - 04-03-2023, 09:10 AM - Forum: General Discussion - Replies (1)

I am moving out of a flat in McKenzie Rd, Mangere Bridge, Auckland and to help my landlord find a new tenant I am wondering if there is someone that would consider moving in after I have left. I am leaving on 16th April, not because of any problems but because I have bought my own apartment.

The first floor flat is furnished with a two seater setee, double bed, bedside tables, coffee table, small table where you could eat your meals, bench oven, microwave and fridge in kitchen, 50" TV, cupboards and wardrobe, plenty of shelves, shower and toilet in bathroom. Sliding door opens out onto a small patio. Rent is a reasonable $400 week with a 4 week bond. Power, water and internet included in the rent. Laundry is downstairs with washing machines and dryers. 

I have had no problems with the landlord in the 16 months I have rented the flat. I have only had one small problem in the flat when the extractor fan in the shower stopped working and was replaced fairly quickly.

I have had no problems with any annoying tenants such as rowdy music parties. The flat is well insulated and the windows are double glazed so there is little outside noise and although there is a panel heater, I have only used it once. The flat is warm most of the time.

The flats have two swipe cards (one for you and one for your spouse) to enter the main door into the flats and also into the apartment.

If you are interested I suggest you contact Megan on 021 0616476 or (09) 263 7205 and tell her that Ivan gave you her number.

If you have any questions you might like to send me a text or give me a call on 021 0370344. I am available most of the time, Monday afternoons excepted.

Print this item